Lemonto

Well I just uninstall this POS

The jerks in this thread sort of explain the atmopshere in some of these servers. An outlet to be a complete jerk with absolutely no repercussions, and even better..in the game. There is little to nothing most people can do.

There are a few people, whose balls have dropped, thankfully. Trying to help him.

Hit up youtube man, after SeaNanners put himself out there playing this, a lot of people have been posting, and streaming.. And most of them really try to help, and give good advice.

This dude, including this video might be some help, he also has a good video on looting elektro..although I learned just to avoid that place unless you got some goons with you.

http://dayzdb.com/map

Look around man, there are a ton of better places to explore, those deerstands are a nice find. You can carve out a little slice of this terrible place and still stockpile some schwag.

Unfortunately, the only aspect of this game that fleshed out at all Is the PvP.

Here's a chart of all DayZ Gameplay options:

1. Spawn ----> Acquire weapon ----> PvP
  2. Spawn ----> Acquire weapon ----> Kill Zombies ----> Get Bored and PvP
  3. Spawn ----> Acquire weapon ----> Go Scavenging for more Gear ----> Get Bored and PvP
  4. Spawn ----> Acquire weapon ----> Go Scavenging for more Gear ----> Survive in the wilderness indefinitely ----> Get Bored and PvP

The entire reason why PvP is so prevalent in this game is literally "Idle hands are the devil's tools."

Eventually, there's nothing else to do. And that usually means shooting at things that aren't AI.

Perfect Comment

And there is no goals in DayZ. Sure, it's about surviving. But in the real world, once you have food and water you can actually start doing something else... such as building shelter, or even start building a house. You have so many options and things you can proceed to do once you have the basics in real life, but in DayZ there is nothing whatsoever you can really go for once you have the basics... except one thing... go hunt other people. The mechanics/features that provide players with more options than blowing eachothers brains out are simply not implemented (at least not yet).

Well you can build a shelter per se. You have sandbags, tank kits, and wiring fences that help with that.

I'm worried though that with the game in the state it is now, it will attract alot more of the pure PvP community and keep turning away the more survival focused community, which means the game will probably keep making a turn towards a heavier focus on pure PvP from the community feedback.

EVE wouldn't survive without both the PvP and the PvE elements in place. People do PvE stuff like mining, researching, building and trading, in order to supply the people who make ships go bang with even more ships... which then go bang and creates a demand for more ships... Despite the EVE community sitting in different forts as well, with the PvE and PvP crowds having at eachother, there is a synergy between PvE and PvP in that game. If you push out the PvE... who is going to mine out resources to build more ships? The PvP'ers? I think they'd get real bored, real fast, from shooting stationary rocks all day. So ship prices go up due to lack of supplied resources and eventually people can't afford to make ships go bang anymore.

So without a player driven economy... can DayZ accomodate both sides of the community, both PvE and PvP? Or even more interestingly... can there be a synergy between PvE and PvP within DayZ?

The thing about DayZ is that it's not an MMO in a sense, not like WoW, Rift, or not even EVE. It's a Post Apocalyptic Zombie Survival game that is played with a few other people with the whole sense of...well trying to survive against zombies and specially other survivors.

You add in regular MMO features then you take away the whole point of DayZ.

I mean there could be a "Lets rebuild this post apocalyptic world" game, sure why not and those regular MMO features would fit in well there since it can have a setting where survivors are re-building society.

I'm afraid that's not what DayZ is about, maybe The War Z is though.

Edited by jay.pis

Newb here.

"Bandits are an essential part of the game."

I agree. However, there's a difference between a "bandit" and an "asshole".

Bandit:

I see someone running. They appear to have <Insert item that I need>, I better kill them and loot their corpse.

Asshole:

I see someone running. I'm gonna kill them just for the Lulz and not even bother to loot their corpse, I'll just leave it laying out in the field there. Man, I'm such a badass, sniping newbs and all. Too afraid to kill experienced players at the airfield though.

"I shoot people in self defense"

If I'm limping with 2000 blood and a double barrel shotgun, and you're on a rooftop miles away with a sniper rifle, you are NOT shooting in self defense. If someone has a gun, but isn't aware of your position, is far away, and isn't heading towards you, they pose absolutely no threat to you (I guess unless they are aggro'ing like crazy, but that's not too common).

"Stay out of Cherno or Elektro"

I can somewhat agree, but there aren't a lot of alternatives to this, and the alternatives that do exist aren't much better.

Edited by Ramirez77

Well you can build a shelter per se. You have sandbags, tank kits, and wiring fences that help with that.

Please... sandbags, tank kits and wiring fences can be bypassed simply by logging on to another server, walk 10 feet, and log back. So in current state they are 100% useless.

Sure, you can use them to build some kinda camp inside the cities, to fence out the zombies. But what on earth would be the point of setting up some kinda base, in a hotspot where everyone wanders, or even inside a building where people know where you are at all times (and can easily bypass it by server hopping as well)?

So yeah, per se you can spend hours running around trying to find all that stuff and set it up, but it would be entirely pointless based on the state of the game.

The thing about DayZ is that it's not an MMO in a sense, not like WoW, Rift, or not even EVE. It's a Post Apocalyptic Zombie Survival game that is played with a few other people with the whole sense of...well trying to survive against zombies and specially other survivors.

You add in regular MMO features then you take away the whole point of DayZ.

I mean there could be a "Lets rebuild this post apocalyptic world" game, sure why not and those regular MMO features would fit in well there since it can have a setting where survivors are re-building society.

I'm afraid that's not what DayZ is about, maybe The War Z is though.

Have you even seen a single interview with Rocket?

He has expressed his eagerness to implement player built underground shelters or bases on numerous accounts, and even referred to them (large underground, player built structures) as DayZ's equivalent to EVE Online's capital ships. So I'm afraid you are wrong and what DayZ is about IS surviving (the basics of which are ingame right now) and then progressing from there to take the next steps as far as survival goes, which is building underground structures or bases (based on what Rocket has envisioned at least).

My point is, and Rocket has said as much himself, last time in the SideStrafe interview on sunday, DayZ is currently just a husk they need to build from. There is no goals in the game right now. The main goal is surviving by finding food and water, and a gun... but once you achieved that you have nothing left to do, hence.... well... you got a gun... and you can shoot other people.... so that's what the majority ends up doing... hunting other players and shooting them. The fact that the game keeps track of your murders only further encourages running around gunning people down since you can consider the murder count identical to a frag counter.

How many frags can you get before you die?

That's the essence of the game currently.

At least there are alot of plans, ideas and visions for the game in the long term... and Rocket seems to weigh things almost exclusively based on the long term effects and consequences. So I believe a lot can happen in DayZ, but as I said in my last reply, the game has a long way to go before getting there, just as EVE has spent a decade getting where EVE is today and getting to the point where the majority of the game is player driven.

He went through all the trouble of creating an account just to tell us he was leaving.

Who the fuck are you?

See ya.

"I shoot people in self defense"

If I'm limping with 2000 blood and a double barrel shotgun, and you're on a rooftop miles away with a sniper rifle, you are NOT shooting in self defense.

Self defense requires self offense.

You can't have one without the other.

You need yang if you want ying, you know?

Balance in all things.

Assholes have their role to play too.

If you don't like it avoid them or give them a few holes in addition to the one in their ass.

Quite simple.

How many frags can you get before you die?

That's the essence of the game currently.

I think the problem is you're only seeing one side of the story (in particular, the side of the victim that is just walking along and then suddenly headshot with no clue what happened).

There is a LOT going on in the game. Building tent cities, acquiring vehicles & high end loot, defending your territory/tents/vehicles from other players, etc.

I saw a heli crash and camped it till a pretty van pulled up, then slaughtered them, packed the loot into the van and took off. Some guy on a tractor was going off into the wilderness, I followed him and he immediately pulled a 180 once he saw us; we dispatched him (lost the tractor unfortunately), then followed his PREVIOUS trajectory to find a pickup truck with FN FAL, Bizon, etc.

I've come across camps only to have our overwatch spot the owners and fought furiously over the loot. Moved our loot while defending our camp from people who found OUR stash.

Yes the game is centered around PvP, but sandbox PvP is VERY dynamic; the goals of any player you come across differ drastically, and if you were the one SPOTTING instead of BEING spotted (and thus oblivious and suddenly domed), you'd see how rich the game ALREADY is.

That said, obviously there's more to come; base building will hopefully make it easier to indulge in other aspects of the game like trade, post-apocalyptic/wild-west style civilization, etc.