Sign in to follow this  
Huuwap

Where do you draw the line?

I'm fairly certain that I'm a bandit. I'm probably one of the guys who gives bandits a bad name to be quite honest. The main reason I'm posting this is because of something that happened/was mentioned in my group yesterday.

We were in Elektro, starting new after we all died at some point and scavenging some items...plus, I dig the large cities for pvp opportunities. I had already killed a guy with an axe while he frantically tried to kill me with his Remington 870 on the firehouse stairs. One of my friends has a CZ 550 and he says "I'm going to head to the hills by the coast and see if there are any noobs I can pick off." My other friend and I go to the supermarket. I have a Lee Enfield at this point and he has an AKM that I gave him (I'll keep the Enfield over almost any gun anytime). He yells "Shit, a fucking guy in here." so I instantly go into hunt mode. As I head to the front of the store from the back my friend says "Don't kill him, he only has a hatchet." but a hatchet is plenty for me to validate killing somebody in this game, so I shoot him in the head and that threat is gone.

My two buddies jumped on my ass. Told me I shouldn't have killed that nub, that I was so mean and I was the problem with this game, to which I replied "Aren't you the asshole talking about sniping spawn-ins from a hill by the coast?" He said "Well, that's different."

And that is what this post is about. Where do you draw the line for a kill? I get killed all the time when I'm not armed, and I don't blame the people who kill me generally because I would do the same thing. Who knows what this person is going to do when they grab a gun?

Well on our server it's simply a case of: If you're not on our TS you will die if one of us spots you. I enjoy the PvP part of the game and I kill on sight.

Well, you're all kind of dicks, but I'd agree with you. I too know the lethal capabilities of a hatchet

• Like 1

When someone's armed I kill him. When he's unarmed and doesn't get close I leave him alone.

I don't actively engage fresh spawns. I hate it when I get killed by a sniper on the coast while I don't have a weapon or any equipment.

It'd feel cheap to do it and I don't see the point in frustrating someone I don't know.

Edited by Merciless

I think the only person you can kill that just makes you look like an ass is an unarmed character. Once I decided to see what would happen if I went around to random places in big cites and sat down. I dropped all my gear and just went around Cherno and Elektro. The first guy I met stopped to chat and even bandaged me. Every other person shot the random guy sitting at the bus stop, the middle of the street, and church. Even when he offered them drinks.

And on your sniper friend, I agree that it is different, just not in the way he thinks. If the guy is running around either unarmed or with a hatchet/crowbar, unless you're guarding a stash or a friend, there is no point in wasting the bullet until he has a gun and actually poses a threat.

Edited by Manaw

Every threat i shot, if you running away from me fine u live, if you're running in my direction you are dead if you are to close (~100 meters). And everybody whos shooting at me ;)

I just think the game would be more entertaining and intense if the old style of banditry was restored...

I.E - mugging people rather than just shooting on sight.. at least if your gonna get mugged you kinda still enjoy the game as its something to tell your mates about and laughed about, rather than just getting shot in the head from a mile away by some cunt with a sniper.

Only my opinion.

Edited by pirlo
  • Like 3

Shooting someone in the back is cowardly. If you do, you're a coward. Especially if you greet the guy as "Friendly" first.

Shooting unarmed players is being a dick. Then you're a dick. It's not funny. It's just being a dick, and if somebody grabs your nick and hunt you down, then you deserve it.

Shooting players just armed with a hatchet is also pretty dick, unless he's right in front of you.

However, stopping an unarmed dude and demanding he give up his beans is being a real bandit. Then you should take pride.

And if you stop an armed fellow, and demand that he give up his weapons, then you're a frigging hero.

• Like 7

Shooting a freshly spawned toon is neither dickish or anything else really other than a waste of resources. They have nothing therefore you gain nothing and they lose nothing except for the few minutes it takes them to respawn.

In general, I don't want to shoot anyone and I haven't either. However, I have been shot enough times to head the other direction when I see someone. In truth, part of me is growing an itchy trigger finger to throw some payback at some random player but so far my restraint has keep my finger shooting only zombies. How long will this last? Who knows.

As far as realism, well, that can go either way because there are all kinds of people. Those that would shoot on sight and those that wouldn't. I see it as an intrinsic part of the survival game. What role will you fall into? Do you survive by preying on others or by your wits alone? Survival is the name of the game but is it truly surviving if you lose your humanity to do so?

Oh and one other question, If I do one day kill another player why can't I butcher and eat him/her. Cannibalism would be a very real aspect in a survival setting such as DayZ.

Generally I see it this way. I can sit in the forest with my backpack full of food and water, lighting fires and surviving for days...and have absolutely zero fun doing it. Or I can hang out in populated areas and engage in combat with other players. I generally end up doing the latter. I get bored when PVP is absent.

• Like 3

The one place where I would draw the line is backpack feeding. When someone stumbles upon a tent and just deletes everything in the tent they don't want that is nothing but griefing. It's fine to steal it if you can carry it, but if you can't carry it just trashing using the backpack bug is lame.

If you had a satchel charge I think blowing up the tent would be fine, it's just the using the backpack bug to delete shit is going too far in my opinion.

Oh and one other question, If I do one day kill another player why can't I butcher and eat him/her. Cannibalism would be a very real aspect in a survival setting such as DayZ.

Do you know how to gut a human and what parts you could actually eat? Didn't think so.

You'd be better off eating stuff you find in the woods - be it plants or animals - than a human.

Even if you knew what to eat there isn't that much.

Also: Imagine taking a human apart. Imagine cutting through joints and skinning the limbs.

That's not something most people could do even if they were in a really desperate situation (i.e. not in a temperate country with plants, animals and even towns with supermarkets all over).

Demanding cannibalism for the realism is delusional.

The way I see it, the line is when "bandits" go out of their way to hunt players just for the sake of hunting them. Boredom doesn't seem like a valid reason to me. I can understand if they are actually going to loot the player for their items, yes, but if they don't even bother to come out from their little cozy sniper holes, then that's the line.

• Like 2

I can understand if they are actually going to loot the player for their items, yes, but if they don't even bother to come out from their little cozy sniper holes, then that's the line.

So I can hunt players even if I don't need loot and be OK in your eyes as long as I'm not sniping? I usually get right in the thick of it.

Shooting someone in the back is cowardly. If you do, you're a coward. Especially if you greet the guy as "Friendly" first.

Shooting unarmed players is being a dick. Then you're a dick. It's not funny. It's just being a dick, and if somebody grabs your nick and hunt you down, then you deserve it.

Shooting players just armed with a hatchet is also pretty dick, unless he's right in front of you.

However, stopping an unarmed dude and demanding he give up his beans is being a real bandit. Then you should take pride.

And if you stop an armed fellow, and demand that he give up his weapons, then you're a frigging hero.

Except what you just described as "hero" is friggin' unpractical and retarded. Everybody who knows they're about to get mugged is gonna try and kill you if they're armed. Period.

• Like 1

I'm fairly certain that I'm a bandit. I'm probably one of the guys who gives bandits a bad name to be quite honest. The main reason I'm posting this is because of something that happened/was mentioned in my group yesterday.

We were in Elektro, starting new after we all died at some point and scavenging some items...plus, I dig the large cities for pvp opportunities. I had already killed a guy with an axe while he frantically tried to kill me with his Remington 870 on the firehouse stairs. One of my friends has a CZ 550 and he says "I'm going to head to the hills by the coast and see if there are any noobs I can pick off." My other friend and I go to the supermarket. I have a Lee Enfield at this point and he has an AKM that I gave him (I'll keep the Enfield over almost any gun anytime). He yells "Shit, a fucking guy in here." so I instantly go into hunt mode. As I head to the front of the store from the back my friend says "Don't kill him, he only has a hatchet." but a hatchet is plenty for me to validate killing somebody in this game, so I shoot him in the head and that threat is gone.

My two buddies jumped on my ass. Told me I shouldn't have killed that nub, that I was so mean and I was the problem with this game, to which I replied "Aren't you the asshole talking about sniping spawn-ins from a hill by the coast?" He said "Well, that's different."

And that is what this post is about. Where do you draw the line for a kill? I get killed all the time when I'm not armed, and I don't blame the people who kill me generally because I would do the same thing. Who knows what this person is going to do when they grab a gun?

Your friends are hypocritical retards. You did the right thing, that axe could have been planted in one of your heads. I wont hesitate to kill someone unarmed, especially in a city, because who knows if they have a hidden weapon in their pack, friends near by, give away your position to someone who is armed, or even loot your pack when you're not looking. I kill anyone who isn't in voice chat with me. People don't think unarmed players are a threat, but those people will die from that mistake one day or another.

Edited by Nashy08
  • Like 2

Your friends are hypocritical retards. You did the right thing, that axe could have been planted in one of your heads. I wont hesitate to kill someone unarmed, especially in a city, because who knows if they have a hidden weapon in their pack, friends near by, give away your position to someone who is armed, or even loot your pack when you're not looking. I kill anyone who isn't in voice chat with me. People don't think unarmed players are a threat, but those people will die from that mistake one day or another.

I share the exact same feeling.

That guy could go around the corner and pick up a hatchet, makarov or a winchester, you can never be safe. You wouldn't even notice if he had a frag grenade in his backpack.

backpack = Gear / Inventory

Good night :P

Edited by TheTamsen

I guess I'll be honest and say that you either kill or be killed. No line for me.

• Like 1

So I can hunt players even if I don't need loot and be OK in your eyes as long as I'm not sniping? I usually get right in the thick of it.

Not my point. Even if you get into the thick of things, but you don't need the loot, then that's still the line to me.

I will kill players for gear- but only if I REALLY need it. I will save players from zombies, team up, and give food and drink to noobs. I have killed a few players for stuff like shotguns, but that's pretty much it.

A kill is a kill. Another notch in my gun.

I don't play along the coast, and thus have never actually had the chance to kill someone without a gun, but who gives a shit if you kill a newly-spawned unarmed player?

Those players have literally nothing to lose. I'm not sure why this has somehow become a sacred cow.

I'm tempted to head to the coast and specifically pick out newly spawned players to shoot just because it gets people's panties in a bunch so much.

Edited by wartzilla
  • Like 2

Are you moving? Fair game. I tend to leave the people without any weapons/packs alone if I can't get them in one shot though, why waste more ammo? That or I just shot them in the leg and let the zeds get them.

A kill is a kill. Another notch in my gun.

I don't play along the coast, and thus have never actually had the chance to kill someone without a gun, but who gives a shit if you kill a newly-spawned unarmed player?

Those players have literally nothing to lose. I'm not sure why this has somehow become a sacred cow.

I'm tempted to head to the coast and specifically pick out newly spawned players to shoot just because it gets people's panties in a bunch so much.

I think it's more because it's extremely annoying to be killed when you don't have anything worth stealing. At least if I have a gun I have something valuable. Killing just for the hell of it is stupid and, in the context of the game, somewhat unrealistic. Even in all the zombie movies and comics, the bad guys really only kill people when it benefits them, be it looting, cannibalism, or eliminating a legit threat. Killing someone with no guns and limited useful items is just a waste, and not terribly realistic. It's just people with high-powered weapons being dicks.

In my mind, you kill people who threaten you, or who have something you need to survive. If I see someone with a gun and I don't know them, I fire at them. Thus far I've only killed one guy (I'm still quite new to the game), but he had a gun and I didn't want to risk seeing if he was friendly. Killing a player who has absolutely no means to fight back is pointless. It requires less skill than killing a zombie, and that's not saying much. I play this game because it's challenging and strategic. Killing unarmed coast-runners is neither.

I agree with the OP on the hatchet scenario, though. I've been attacked by a crazy dude with a hatchet. They're obviously deadly, especially in a close-quarters situation like a grocery store. Telling the guy to get to stepping is another method in that scenario, though. You don't necessarily have to kill someone to get rid of them. I know if someone with a rifle told me to get out or get shot I'd run my ass out of there and not look back. Also, I for one would be much more inclined to not seek revenge on someone if they let me live like that.

• Like 4

i kill everything , it's strange watching them zig zag..

for me it depends, if I am on a rooftop with a rifle in cherno etc I leave melee and unarmed people alone, and people with just pistols are low priority (only shoot them if they for instance decide to stop in plain view and check there inventory.) I like a bit of sport in my dayz, and killing defencless people is like beating up a blind down syndrome kid, some people around here will think it makes them manly, the rest of us are ashamed to play the same game as these people.

how ever if I'm not on a rooftop I'll shoot any armed person who sees me (melee or sidearm,) and anyone with a primary weapon whos careless enough to not see me is fair game.

• Like 1