Rising (DayZ)

Why are people against the idea of NPC guards?

cause it gives the game more meat on its bones? you really want this to only be about pvping do you...?

You're always talking about how everyone is against everyone...how exactly is having NPC's as your henchmen helping to make the game more group oriented?

You're always talking about how everyone is against everyone...how exactly is having NPC's as your henchmen helping to make the game more group oriented?

to qoute my post, "-id love to have npcs guarding vehicles and other lootable places"... where did i say i wanted a babysitter?

No safe zones or npc guards, no laws and rules make the game fun to play. Rocket said he wont add anything that will take away the lawlessness or the bandits and player killings.

Sorry mate, get used to it.

Day Z reminds me alot of the book, "The Road". There is also a movie based on the book, just not as gritty. I like the lawlessness, but mostly the fear. As I posted in another forum, if you want a safe town, recruit friends and post guards.

I don't feel that they are unrealistic, and they seem like a reasonable trade-off compared to some of the more drastic measures that people are calling out to restrict PvP. I am totally against the idea of "safe zones", aka places where you either cannot shoot your gun or it doesn't do damage on other players. However I am also wary of the complete lawlessness of the current DayZ world. It's great for awhile, but then people get bored and in the end everyone and everything becomes pvp. To help slow this down, I don't see why there cannot be inclusion of NPC guards for only certain designated areas. Let's say, a very small military camp with nothing but free water for new players? It could act a temporary social hub for players, huddled inside the camp under the protection of the guards, who only shoot at players who shoot and damage another players, and of course themselves can be killed, but will respawn regularly like zombies in that area.

Basically this is my idea of adding more content to the game to make it interesting. I love the idea of having the game entirely run by player community, but as we've seen with the trading posts for example, the biggest problem is that hardly anyone plays DayZ like a profession, people simply don't have time to guard an outpost 24/7 or even 12/4. I dont think it would unbalance the game, and bandits are still gonna bandit. As a matter of fact, perhaps the homicidal maniacs will be attracted to camp and snipe this place to satisfy their urges, freeing up the northern areas so the newbs can actually have a chance and get some gear. And then, of course, in the endgame there will be conflict.

My vision for such a camp is from the banks in UO. It was the most important location of the town, as well as being a haven of killers, thieves, liars, and general scum of the earth. It was an area under protection of the town guards, who were unfortunately invincible, but still there were often crimes being committed in broad daylight, like theivery. Ever mysteriously lose items in your backpack to a glitch? Nah, that was actually me. Unfortunately if you want to be a thief in DayZ against random pubbers it is very difficult without getting a hatchet to the face, but such NPC guarded camps might give people the false sense of security needed for them to lower their guard. OF course, these newbies need to actually find this legendary landmark in the first place... and when you spawn without a map, it's not as easy as you might think.

Thoughts?

This question has been answered before and there was no reason to make a new thread about it.

It's a stupid idea. Move on.

Oh no, some dumb npcs. That will totally stop people shooting each other.

The reason for the current rampant pvp is because of a lack of end game. Rocket has said he is working on it but there is only so much he can do between fixing bugs and patching up exploits. Better to have a player driven solution than something half assed.

First bugs, then everything else.

Actually, alpha is usually a stage where you add new stuff and fix bugs afterwards in beta. (Besides for obvious bugs)

I don't feel that they are unrealistic, and they seem like a reasonable trade-off compared to some of the more drastic measures that people are calling out to restrict PvP. I am totally against the idea of "safe zones", aka places where you either cannot shoot your gun or it doesn't do damage on other players. However I am also wary of the complete lawlessness of the current DayZ world. It's great for awhile, but then people get bored and in the end everyone and everything becomes pvp. To help slow this down, I don't see why there cannot be inclusion of NPC guards for only certain designated areas. Let's say, a very small military camp with nothing but free water for new players? It could act a temporary social hub for players, huddled inside the camp under the protection of the guards, who only shoot at players who shoot and damage another players, and of course themselves can be killed, but will respawn regularly like zombies in that area.

Basically this is my idea of adding more content to the game to make it interesting. I love the idea of having the game entirely run by player community, but as we've seen with the trading posts for example, the biggest problem is that hardly anyone plays DayZ like a profession, people simply don't have time to guard an outpost 24/7 or even 12/4. I dont think it would unbalance the game, and bandits are still gonna bandit. As a matter of fact, perhaps the homicidal maniacs will be attracted to camp and snipe this place to satisfy their urges, freeing up the northern areas so the newbs can actually have a chance and get some gear. And then, of course, in the endgame there will be conflict.

My vision for such a camp is from the banks in UO. It was the most important location of the town, as well as being a haven of killers, thieves, liars, and general scum of the earth. It was an area under protection of the town guards, who were unfortunately invincible, but still there were often crimes being committed in broad daylight, like theivery. Ever mysteriously lose items in your backpack to a glitch? Nah, that was actually me. Unfortunately if you want to be a thief in DayZ against random pubbers it is very difficult without getting a hatchet to the face, but such NPC guarded camps might give people the false sense of security needed for them to lower their guard. OF course, these newbies need to actually find this legendary landmark in the first place... and when you spawn without a map, it's not as easy as you might think.

Thoughts?

maybe im an idiot for not reading this whole thread.

but i believe that NPC (not only guards, but ais) would ad an awesome OOmph to this game. IF you have ever played any other Arma 2 mods, for example some of the cops and robbers or mods where there are civs running around ect ect. it is really fun. I would enjoy having (in less numbers because of the apocalypse) random NPCs in the world. also the ability to create towns and have NPCs flock to it like in terraria would be cool.

I am heavy PVP hardcore, killeveryone on sight bandit non friendly and i support this idea/message.

So you need NPC guards? How about introducing tamed Zeds to do that job for you, just like the wolves in minecraft, feed them man-flesh, preferably that of bandits, but noobs are just as good wich means you still have to shoot the poor buggers afterall and gut them like you would with a animal.

What I like about DayZ is that you are never really safe, and it should stay that way.