Sidewinderx84

New players cant get past learning curve

and you can play and have fun with dayZ when you play alone. 80% of my gametime I run around alone and try to find gear. and evry helicopter-crash-site is exciting. So there is a feeling of reward in thos game, that no other game brought to me in the last years...

• Like 1

I agree with OP, Starting this game just now without having any knowledge is really hard. I started 4 days ago but ive been playing games my entire life so adapting to the controls wasnt hard. however in any real life situation if i was lost i would always keep to the beach/coast to try and find help, which is very logical, thats why most noobs stay on the coast from the start.

When i found guides on what to do, how to survive etc i ran into the forest and started farming Barns/deerstands for weapons and supplies, when i had some food/water/Painkillers and bandages i went to a supermarket, being super careful and then up further to a hospital to get med supplies, THEN i went to the coast and had some great fun.

So your point is that it's hard? That's the idea.

I actually don't understand those problems. I bought ArmA like a week ago for DayZ only. I didn't know shit about controls when I first started. Still, I somehow made it through Chernogorsk alive, despite being shot at from a rooftop. I'm not trying to brag here since I'm dying enough as it is ;) But some newbies behave like they had to play the game with Wii controls.

• Like 2

Die thrice, live once. Every time you make a mistake, you learn from it. If you repeat those mistakes over and over and hope to get different results... well then by definition, your insane.

• Like 1

Alot of posts about omg put some time into it, practice more ... etc. Sorry i guess i should "Complain less" and get straight to the point. I can tell this game is fun once you are adept at it, I was posting to point out to newcomers that its a huge wall to bypass to get where you wanna be. That includes not only controls, but also finding servers, getting booted, skipping through walls and dying trying to equip a hunting knife only to realize its not a weapon in this game.

To the poster who said something about buying Arma 2 just for Day Z.... i dont need a war sim or a fps that is subpar to other games i own. I wanted the zombie survival game, and warning others who care to read is fair game imo.

Other poster said he wants time back from reading my post, not only are you basically trolling, but im sure you read alot of posts that dont apply to you, and maybe you post similar comments there also, but life must be rough if you cant spare 1 min to connect the dots between topic and post.

In your first post you actually said you wanted your money back (again, you haven't bought DayZ) and you also said that you didn't wan't anyone else that is thinking about buying it to do so. Please don't make me spell it out for you.

Arma is a 4 year old game. A nice man decided to make a Mod to experiment with some ideas just for fun. A few people realised it was a fun Mod and told their friends about it. Eventually some game journalists wrote some nice things about it and many people decided to try it. Some of those people didn't own Arma (you) and had to buy it so that they could play the mod that the nice man had made for free.

Even though every single article written about the mod explained that it was a buggy game in alpha testing stages and was very hard to play some people (you) decided it might be worth a try. After installing the free mod that they (you) had read about they decided it was too hard and buggy for their tastes after playing it without even using the many guides or the tutorials that come with the game. Instead of putting it down to experience, they (you) decided it was a good idea to make a rambling whining post about how hard it is (even though the free mod is famous for it) and try to discourage others from buying it.

I hope it all makes sense now.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

I don't see why people buy the game and go STRAIGHT to DayZ

There is a Tutorial in the base game, play it.

This x 100.

I'll agree with the OP about the loading issues and the random glitches, but it's an alpha mod....it's going to suck to some extent. I bought the game based on the review of some people I play other games with, and I think it was worth the measely $24 For Arma2 to play it. The dying fast thing will go away once you learn how to move without aggro'ing zombies. Best advice is stick to low-pop servers til you get proficient.

Another voice to throw into the crowd...

I bought Op Arrow for this mod as I already had Arma 2, and have not regretted a minute of it. Like most other people in this thread I would suggest the tutorials. Yes it is hard, but that's what Rocket was trying to achieve. If he has pissed you off then he has done his job.

Why not wait 'till this is in Beta and give it another go then?

Arma 2 is some of the best money I givin out the past year, and it only took me 5 hours to learn all the basics.

And I have nothing against loosing and dieing, its all a part of the game.

Edited by Spixx

You noobs need to realize this is the pinnicle of hardcore PC gaming at its finest. You guys jumped head first into a shit storm, and I dont feel one bit sorry for ya. Suck it the fuck up. Also, it pains me to see a whiny thread like this and some people are still willing to help. Screw the OP, he's rude and bitchy and I'm thinking we should start ignoring these kind of posts. Personally, I dont think the Mod's that difficult, but then again, I run with a very experienced clan. Truth be told, I think EvE is way harder as far as a learning curve is concerned.

This is how much ass we kick.

• Like 2

I dont think the learning curve is too much, i have played around 20 hours and doing fine. Ok, i did play a little arma years ago, so i knew controls allready. My friend started out bit after me, he has played around 10 hours and likes the game. The harsh difficulty just creates the "feeling" that we all love. My friend had serious doubts before because he thought "harsh" death would be too frustrating to deal with. Actually losing everything when you die and difficulty of staying alive only adds to the feeling of accomplishment later when you do succeed.

I dont think the learning curve is too much, i have played around 20 hours and doing fine. Ok, i did play a little arma years ago, so i knew controls allready. My friend started out bit after me, he has played around 10 hours and likes the game. The harsh difficulty just creates the "feeling" that we all love. My friend had serious doubts before because he thought "harsh" death would be too frustrating to deal with. Actually losing everything when you die and difficulty of staying alive only adds to the feeling of accomplishment later when you do succeed.

I think the main issue is that the controls are terrible for anyone who has ever played pretty much any other shooter ever. They are also needlessly complex. Tap a button that is otherwise unused twice to do something? If the button is unused, why not just tap it once? I'm no rocket scientist, but a course I took in college tells me that this game has absolutely atrocious usability engineering. I get that the problem is with the base ARMA II game and not specifically with DayZ, but that's not really an excuse so much as it is an indictment of ARMA's shitty controls.

As much fun as I'm having with DayZ, it is a very clunky game. Picking up things is needlessly difficult. Getting through doorways is needlessly difficult (god help you if you're prone regardless of door size). Managing your inventory is needlessly difficult. Doing tons of basic actions quite simply just requires a ton of extra effort when the entire thing could very easily be simplified. Take crouching and going prone. There are three buttons taken up for that alone when the entire damn thing could be done with one button, or two at the very most.

And this is coming from someone who has pretty much learned the controls by now. Just because they're more complex than they need to be doesn't mean they are "deep" or "not for noobs." They just kind of suck. Optimizing the controls would go a long, long way toward making this game better for new players.

I bought Arma II for Dayz almost a week ago, and I am still enjoying the game. I've read and watched hints and guides for the game prior to playing it, and it is helpful for me. I even played Arma II multiplayer a couple days, and it was fun, however, I enjoy Dayz much more. I have hated and still hate getting killed by players and zombies when I run around town getting supplies after spawning, but I still like playing the game.

Dayz has got me more focused and intense playing it then I have been over any other game in a few years. I enjoy the game because of how it makes me pay attention, and gets me involved.

I think the main issue is that the controls are terrible for anyone who has ever played pretty much any other shooter ever. They are also needlessly complex. Tap a button that is otherwise unused twice to do something? If the button is unused, why not just tap it once? I'm no rocket scientist, but a course I took in college tells me that this game has absolutely atrocious usability engineering. I get that the problem is with the base ARMA II game and not specifically with DayZ, but that's not really an excuse so much as it is an indictment of ARMA's shitty controls.

As much fun as I'm having with DayZ, it is a very clunky game. Picking up things is needlessly difficult. Getting through doorways is needlessly difficult (god help you if you're prone regardless of door size). Managing your inventory is needlessly difficult. Doing tons of basic actions quite simply just requires a ton of extra effort when the entire thing could very easily be simplified. Take crouching and going prone. There are three buttons taken up for that alone when the entire damn thing could be done with one button, or two at the very most.

And this is coming from someone who has pretty much learned the controls by now. Just because they're more complex than they need to be doesn't mean they are "deep" or "not for noobs." They just kind of suck. Optimizing the controls would go a long, long way toward making this game better for new players.

Yeah, controls and inventory are bad. But why do we complain about this here, i doubt they will be optimized. Perhaps in the coming standalone where its probably easier to do. And still, you can learn how to use them in about an hour, if you really want. And there are the tutorials..

Only thing that really bugs me about inventory are bags.. Would me nice to swap items directly.

But, i dont really know if the mod should really even try to be easier to approach, at least in alpha.. There are more important things to do first.

I actually don't understand those problems. I bought ArmA like a week ago for DayZ only. I didn't know shit about controls when I first started. Still, I somehow made it through Chernogorsk alive, despite being shot at from a rooftop. I'm not trying to brag here since I'm dying enough as it is ;) But some newbies behave like they had to play the game with Wii controls.

Have to say I agree with this.

Maybe there is a bit of a learning curve compared to other games out at the moment. I for one however am sick of playing cod/halo/battlefield etc only for them to release essentially some new maps with a £40 price tag. This is something different. If the price of that is a steep learning curve? Well i'm up for putting in a few hours to learn.

Alot of players have got passed the learning curve of this mod, perhaps you just you know.....suck?

Don't get the game because DayZ has bugs? That's unfair. You were never charged to play DayZ, so don't complain about the bugs and other issues, it's free, show some gratitude. Also, it's alpha, like everyone says. If you don't like playing games that are buggy and broken then don't download alpha mods. The fact that it's a mod will make bugs even more frequent, live with it, it's nothing game-breaking.

I bought ArmA for DayZ only too, got pretty annoyed with the install, didn't come here to rant about it though, just got on with it and eventually got in game. Wandered around, got killed many times without even finding a hatchet, got frustrated, stil didn't feel the need to complain, as I remembered it was still in development, and a mod afterall.

In conclusion, if you're tired of the generic, blow zombies to smithereenes mainstream market and want something more immersive and unique, definitely get this, and push through the learning curve, don't be a wuss and give up because zombies are bugged, remember it's not complete, you're not paying for the MOD, but the ArmA 2 game itself.

The install is pretty simple, actually. If you know what your doing it's easy (watch a video or read about how to inastall it!). Just download Arma 2, and operation arrowhead (or combined operations), six launcher and updater, and the patch.

As for the game itself, I bought it just for Dayz, knowing it was going to be really buggy, in alpha, and that there's a lot of people out to get you. I'm a complete noob, died many times, and I still enjoy the game. The learning curve is hard, but once you learn, it's fun. Even being a noob and running away from tons of zombies or being shot at is still part of the game. It's not supposed to be easy.

This game isn't like your Normal FPS, this game provides the user with real emotions unlike the BF's and COD's etc where you spawn with a kit run around die and respawn with the same kit.

DayZ is a whole bag of different Emotions for example trying to creep past a Zed, your heart starts beating that little bit faster, the sound of a Zed in close proximitry, your heart starts being faster. I know for me i had some serious issues with this game at the start, now i have been playing for just over a month and its AWESOME.

For all those haters give it a chance, your day will come when you have a plan, you execute that plan and everything falls into place.

SEE YOU OUT IN THE UOLOO

-Controls? Easy. wasd, f, z, x, c, mouse wheel, g,

-Play the tutorial in Arma 2.

-Bring up a loot map.

-Read a few guides.

Job done.

Do you think those YouTubers started out with weapons?

*chuckle* Well to be fair, Phil, many of the youtubers did start out with weapons because just a few patches ago, you did start with a weapon. The game is tougher on new players in some ways now than it was before-- however, it's been made easier in other ways -- one that comes to mind is when you would become hungry and thirsty while you were logged out. That had to stink on many levels for the veterans that had to deal with it.

To the OP:

I understand you're frustrated, perhaps a little angry because it was fresh in your mind as you wrote the post, but I get where you are and it'll pass. Step back, and come back to it after a bit.

I guess what I'm saying here, OP is that all the folks in this thread-- we've all been there. Granted, some may have dealt with the hardships with grace, others may claim they did and are fibbing, and some may have raged even worse than you. Just know that all bases are covered in this one-of-a-kind game. The question you should ask yourself is whether getting past that hardship is worth your personal effort.

When you find your first weapon, your first compass, map, NVGs... when you put a single bullet right between the eyes of a marauding zombie or lose a bunch of 'em completely unscathed. When you defend another survivor from some degenerate bandit who was better equipped than you, when you execute a hunt, gut the animal, find a secluded place in the forest, get some wood, and cook yourself some much needed food for the blood you've lost, the sense of accomplishment on such mundane things can be palpable. It was for me.

Cheers,

Chan

Edited by ChandlerL
  • Like 1

I did the boot camp first, and it helped me a lot (but this is my first FPS so I had to learn the controls, etc). Plenty of guides out there too. It didn't feel easy to me either when I started, but you'll get the hang of it. Just finding a hatchet (enter to pick up, then right click & remove from tool belt and finally "r" to reload) will make it a lot easier for ya, and keep moving so you're harder to shoot. Keep at it, it's a fun game. GL