rocket

Pending Update: Build 1.7.2.4

You tease! :thumbsup:

Yeah I guess :)

My point really, is the most important one I want to make going forward.

I could spend 4 months hacking a system that kind-of works for the mod, or focus on the experiment here and deal with those issues as part of a standalone in the source. Some issues are best dealt with at the core, some of these issues are ones that should be dealt with standalone and not as part of the mod. With 800,000 uniques, of which over 200,000 played in the last 24 hours... there is a point at which we have to say "lets do what we can with the mod" but at the same time put aside issues which are not expedient to deal with at the mod level.

• Like 13

Just need some config changes and then helicopters will appear on the changelog. Expect it, but as always, it won't appear on the changelog until it is done and confirmed.

Definitely leave the Hueys. UH-60's w/ miniguns are cliche'd, the M240's on the Huey are much more badass. I look forward to seeing more helicopters around once implemented, been seeing a lot of hacked AH-6's flying about.

Nice update so far, but please answer this question.

My squad and I have 2 camps on 2 servers. One of the servers will sometimes go offline for whatever reason so we made a second smaller camp on another server. Sometimes we need to hop to the other one so we can swap gear(we don't server hop for looting) will we eventually get punished for having 2 camps on 2 servers in case 1 server breaks down?

I could spend 4 months hacking a system that kind-of works for the mod, or focus on the experiment here and deal with those issues as part of a standalone in the source. Some issues are best dealt with at the core, some of these issues are ones that should be dealt with standalone and not as part of the mod. With 800,000 uniques, of which over 200,000 played in the last 24 hours... there is a point at which we have to say "lets do what we can with the mod" but at the same time put aside issues which are not expedient to deal with at the mod level.

I read somewhere that you were thinking of a Mincraft type buisness model, if you were to go for a standalone.

Just wanted to say if that is the case you have my support fully. It worked a treat for minecraft.

• Like 9

Rocket, can you comment at all on the nature of the standalone or is it hush-hush/too early? Will it be using the same engine? Will it be the same map? Will it be just a re-packaging of ARMA and Day Z?

Rocket, can you comment at all on the nature of the standalone or is it hush-hush/too early? Will it be using the same engine? Will it be the same map? Will it be just a re-packaging of ARMA and Day Z?

Arma 3 Engine. Don't know about the map though.

• Like 2

Any chance that 1.7.2.4 could require all servers to update to latest DayZ / Beta versions? As it stands now, servers are extremely fractured what with all of the possible combinations of Dayz /Beta versions.

• Like 7

Not sure about this timeout/ban thing. I often hop servers to find one that's not horrible, both in terms of FPS or loot (More often than not I will start a new character on a server and there's no loot spawning anywhere and the fps never reaches above 4).

I'll be punished trying to find somewhere to actually play, when people can still alt+f4.

• Like 3

Each time they login and logout of a server, it will be logged. Once we ensure we are not catching false-positives, we will start issuing warnings to players and allow them to check their reputation on the website with the central server. Those that continue to conduct the behavior, will receive database bans.

This fixes absolutely nothing, pretty much the way BE has had almost no effect on the hacking in DayZ, because it doesn't kick hackers or even prevent them from running scripts, it just sits their passively tracking until someone feels like purging hacking players, and within minutes those players have a new workaround and are right back in game, because there is no ACTIVE protection at all.

These are extremely passive methods of fixing the problem. You need a more proactive solution, like a hard 10 second timer on logout where a disconnect leaves them logged in and hive tracked for 10 seconds.

10 seconds is more than sufficient, it doesn't leave someones cheese hanging in the wind too long if they're in a reasonably safe spot, and if you're in combat with someone and can't kill them in 10 seconds of them doing absolutely nothing, you probably didn't have a chance of killing them to begin with.

Your solution needs to stop the problem before it happens, not after.

• Like 8

I play with a group of people, some servers work for me but not for others and vice versa. We constantly have to hop servers to find one we can all play on, one that doesn't desync constantly for us and has decent loading itmes. Will this system you're currently planning effect us?

This right here. I play with two IRL friends, one lives in the same city as I do but the other lives in a different state. When we log in we are forced to go from one server to another with a fair amount of regularity in order to find one that is playable for all of us. Once we find a server that is not lagy or has fps issues or is constantly desyncing then we tend to stay on it for the rest of the night. But even then sometimes servers that looked good will develop rubber-band lag that makes them unplayable and we are forced to start the process all over again. How will this system affect us?

• Like 6

Arma 3 Engine. Don't know about the map though.

Isn't ARMA 3, and thus, the engine... not due out for a while? Even the alpha for ARMA III was pushed out to the fall, which may make sense for a standalone Day Z alpha.

I'm so glad you posted that. People need to understand that there is only so much that can be done at the "Mod" level.

If he had full access to add features directly to the engine, it would be a million times easier to do everything that he wants to do.

As it is, anything major that has to do with the game engine directly must be hacked in. Once there is an engine being designed specifically for DayZ, it will be much easier to add the "dream features" that aren't currently possible with the Arma 2 engine.

It's not hush-hush. I just won't say anything unless it's confirmed, and I have something worthwhile to say.

I could make all sorts of grand statements, and make some cool concept art, but it would be dishonest and ultimately pointless.

I've already confirmed that it is a certainty it will happen, that much I know. It is just a question of timing, to which I said I believe we will have something to release (as in, standalone) very soon. Previously I have stated I couldn't see why it wouldn't be before the end of the year.

• Like 32

i dont think that should matter. in a perfect world we would all be on 1 server right? anyway...to me its all 1 world. going from server to server in my eyes is like going to another dimension. shouldnt happen even for medics. if you dont have a bloodbag, too bad. go find one. if your buddy is on another server in the same space, too bad. get another medic. or stay on the same server.

nothing personal, but with all the people and everything that happens around here, who is a medic and who isnt? "im friendly!" BOOM! dead. if dimension jumping is allowed for medics, then medics should not be capable of carrying a firearm. its the only way to prevent abuse.

You're right if it was a perfect world we would be on one large server, however that is not a posability. If it was and there were say... only 5 large servers that would be a perfectly legit answer however there are easily 100+ servers out there. Its more a matter of being able to enjoy the game the way I would like to as well as helping others. As for preventing the abuse by taking away our weapons that makes no sense, I have yet to be shot at or shot another player while on the [TMW] medic list, being on that list means that I am a respectful and trustworthy player that the DayZ community can contact in the event that they would like a little help.

Cammo/ghillie back! No respawn! Less ALT-F4?

Looks like a great patch. Let's get all this BS out of the way so Rocket can get back to adding cool features.

Glitchers/hackers/exploiters: your days are numbered.

Edited by DayZPvP.com
  • Like 7

The alt+f4 thing looks pretty good, but I wonder. The guys I play with have a problem connecting to some servers. We get the eternal loading screen or the eternal waiting for character to create. After a 10 minute wait, we decide to try a different server. Will this be a problem for us?

The mechanics are being tested, but it will put a "timeout" if you successfully connect too many times within a period of time.

Is that to the same server or multi servers . I only ask because sometimes i have a hard time finding a server to play on so i have to dc

It's not hush-hush. I just won't say anything unless it's confirmed, and I have something worthwhile to say.

I could make all sorts of grand statements, and make some cool concept art, but it would be dishonest and ultimately pointless.

I've already confirmed that it is a certainty it will happen, that much I know. It is just a question of timing, to which I said I believe we will have something to release (as in, standalone) very soon. Previously I have stated I couldn't see why it wouldn't be before the end of the year.

A reaction to WarZ perhaps?

Removing the respawn button is a good move. Sick of seeing "Dick died" every minute as they're trying to get the best possible spawn.

It's a survival game, the odds are supposed to be against you. I don't see why you should be able to pick where you spawn, just deal with it.

Only thing I wouldn't mind fixed is climbing Deer Stands (or ladders in general) and the character lowers his weapon. Not a major bug just annoying.

• Like 8

Yes it would, and this would be a valid point. I'm not sure what the answer is here.

Although I totally love and respect the players that help each other out, server hopping for loot and server hopping to heal someone is really not much different game-play wise.

• Like 2

There are times when trying to find a server that works I'll have to join 5+ servers quickly. Some times it sets at "Waiting for Host" or "Loading" and never spawns.

Trying to find a server me and 3 other friends could all play on took about 15 tries the other night before we all managed to get a server we could all join

• Like 2

Is that to the same server or multi servers . I only ask because sometimes i have a hard time finding a server to play on so i have to dc

First step is to record.

Second step is to test those results against algorithms that I have been developing.

Third step is to write new (better) algorithms when I realize the first ones I made are crap.

• Like 23

With this in mind, would you say DayZ as a mod will ever be finalized or will it forever be just a test bed for the standalone?

• Like 1

There are times when trying to find a server that works I'll have to join 5+ servers quickly. Some times it sets at "Waiting for Host" or "Loading" and never spawns.

Trying to find a server me and 3 other friends could all play on took about 15 tries the other night before we all managed to get a server we could all join

Login is only recorded when your client broadcasts a "success" message to the central server.

Logout is only recorded when you use the "Abort" menu item.

On a server crash - you will have no "logout" so your login will be ignored.

On ALT-F4 - you will receive a "disconnect" entry, affecting your reputation.

On a client crash - you will receive a "disconnect" entry, affecting your reputation (over a period of time). You can use RPT files to ask for a manual review.

• Like 13

Hmm, interesting update.

But here is my suggestion for the "Alt+F4" and "Server hopping" issue, you can basically use one already existing mechanic in DayZ.

So the idea is to use the "Are you inside a forest" detection, so just copy/paste the code from the wood harvesting function.

But how does it work?

Well basically this feature would track the players location, so if the system detected you inside the forest it wouldn't add a penalty after logging out, but if you ran around the NW airfield and you heard someone shooting at you, and you being on of those "Alt+F4 -ers" you would Alt+F4, and as the system would see that you didn't properly disconnect from the server, it would add a basic penalty e.g. 5 min login timer or something like that.

But there would still be a problem for the players who disconnect in cities and there is a really easy fix for that issue, simply add a "Did your character move?" mechanic and that's it. Because players who logout properly, they find a nice spot and than they press Esc -> Abort -> Disconnect which lasts a few seconds, and when you disconnect in panic you don't have the time for finding a comfy place to sit down and properly disconnect, you only have the time to Alt+F4. I hope you get the idea, if not, I'll try to clarify.

Although, the "Are you inside a forest" mechanic needs a little bit of polishing because it fails to detect whether you are in a forest or not.

Edited by nexXtec
  • Like 2