omgwtfbbq (DayZ)

Poll: DayZ or The War Z?

DayZ or The War Z?  

408 members have voted

1. 1. So let's assume that in a utopian future, DayZ is complete and out of alpha/beta, and The War Z is released. Would you stick with DayZ? Or switch?

dayz=fps warz=mmo ,...........

At this point it is very clear what game will be succeed... WarZ has to realize very early that it is a gorgeous fail and copy. Nothing else.

dayz=fps warz=mmo ,...........

At this point it is very clear what game will be succeed... WarZ has to realize very early that it is a gorgeous fail and copy. Nothing else.

They're both FPS. And I'm pretty sure when DayZ becomes standalone, it is going to be labeled under MMOFPS unless it has a single player campaign.

Edited by leeo38

Amazing you people think that WarZ will even release, much less be thought of anything more than a joke if it does.

I hope rocket will take this as a sign to decide which engine to go with the standalone and work quicker. Also get some patents and stuff.

I think i'll stick with day z. As long as the developers keep improving the game and don't ruin the experience with weird changes, i'll probably keep playing.

If the ARMA 3 developers don't support day z or incorporate an improved version into ARMA 3, they're idiots.

Due t the history ehind the editor of WarZ, I think it'll be a pay to Win.

The developers said that there won't be any pay2win elements in WarZ.

Not really much point in this because we only have like 3 screen shots of WarZ and no idea what DayZ will end up being. So... :D

The developers said that there won't be any pay2win elements in WarZ.

So do many other developpers...

So do many other developpers...

So? I believe in the facts that the developers are saying rather the assumptions that some random dude spews out.

jesus all u flamers... hes just asking if youre gonna give warz a shot and if you think itll stand up to dayz if you have no opinion on the subject keep your emo angry posts to youself... seriously wtf

• Like 1

Dayz needs to expand the game.. People are going to get bored with Survival and Survival only... I'm already starting getting bored.... Gear up and survive... There needs to be more to it.. Like possible NPCs or anything really.. Another layer to the game.. From what Ive seen of screen shots of WarZ, the zombie AI looks much much better... If the game is anything like it shows, ill probably be giving it a shot.. I know DayZ is an Alpha but im not some tester.. I play for enjoyment.. and when enjoyment starts to decline due to bugs that have been around since 1.5, it can be frustrating.. Instead of introducing new features.. Fix the bugs with current features... After 700 hours played.. Not sure what more to do..

Amazing you people think that WarZ will even release, much less be thought of anything more than a joke if it does.

Why not?

WarZ is developed for a year already, it's in late alpha stage. Presale is said to be started in a week or so, and Closed Beta is to start at the same time.

The only issue I can imagine is ballistics in the game: I love how player has to account for bullet-drop. I love ricochets (at-least simulation of it), etc. So if a WarZ is a point-and-shoot - it's a no-no for me. In other case - I'm all in for both games.

upd. My bad, beta won't start till fall. But you will be able to reserve yourself a closed beta with a preorder.

Edited by Infineon

I will probably play War Z. I don't know if it will be any good. I like what I have read about it so far. It has almost the same elements that DayZ has with out a lot of the flaws that I have seen in DayZ at least as far as I read.

I think DayZ could be a great MMO but I think Rocket holding it so close to the chest is a big mistake. I think there are a lot of issues with the game in terms of balance. I'll give you an example what I am talking about. One of the issues that exist in DayZ is server swapping for resources. I know Rocket is in process of dealing with this issue. However this issue exist because people put up barbwire prevent access to resources (yes you can remove barbwire with toolkits but you have to find them and there probably usually blocked by barbwire as well). Now the best way to get around this is to find server that has no barbwire at the location you're at (say the church) then you enter and go back to server that was blocked. So server swapping becomes more of an issue now because players trying to bypass locations with resources that are blocked.

Another example of this problem is logging off when attacked. This issue exist because players finally get good stuff and to loose it well just sucks beyond anything. So it's easier to log out and thus get around the dying issue. Now if we had safe area and places to store limited items I think logging out when attacked would be less of an issue. A player could go and store extra weapons and ammo and supplies. Thus while they loose something that have back up. Now would this eliminate the problem all together, no probably not but it would probably solve it to a degree players wouldn't do it as often.

DayZ wants to be an MMO with out being an MMO. It is built on the back bone of Arma 2 and as flexible as the game engine is for Arma 2 it still has it's limitations. DayZ is limited to only what Arma 2 can do do or add in. There somethings that just won't work in the game. The only way for DayZ to be successful in future is for it to strike out on it's own (even Rocket admits this).

I don't know what the future holds for DayZ, I think it is matter of what kinds of changes there are and if players accept them. I think other Zombie MMO that will be developed (which I promise with the success of DayZ we will see a few) will have an impact on DayZ as well. How much of an impact will depend on how well those games are developed. I know for what I have read of War Z is that it has a lot in common with DayZ and it was in development before DayZ entered the picture. I know they are looking at DayZ to see what players like and didn't like or what worked and don't work.

At the end of the day its hard to predict what will happen. I personally think DayZ will be popular for while then it will fade in to the woodwork and be another one of those cool mods that players use to play. While there will be several Zombi MMO out and doing ok. That is just my opinion.

Honestly it comes down to this for many Dayz players. (i know most of our clan feels this way)

Gunplay

Dayz is built on years of the Arma 2 engine, whereas WarZ is not. The balistics in Arma2 allow for fun gunfights and realistic simulation.

Those that enjoy war sim have inherently enjoyed DayZ in it's form as a Zombie Sim. Those who may care less for the realism and want a "balanced" gameplay may enjoy the MMO/Arcade environment of WarZ. I am not judging WarZ at the moment because I do not know about it. I am merely saying that if shooting at other players = they drop fast and die then one crowd will be drawn. If they get shot and take a while to die (HP style system?) then another crowd will be drawn.

I do enjoy that they have 2 modes. Normal and Hardcore. This allows casual gamers (which i personally don't have a taste for, but hey i have casual gamer friends so meh) to enjoy their fill while hardcore gamers can enjoy theirs.

Casual = Death not lose skills (lose stuff I think)

Hardcore = Everything you know dies in with your corpse in death

I personally don't have a bias over any right now due to name, only due to gameplay. And I bid both good luck and hope they compete so that one may pull ahead and earn it's place as one of my favorite games.

Also, Rocket, can you fix hackers? This is my #1 gripe atm. Just last night we approach Balota Seal team 6 style on a PBX with 4 ghillis and mil gear. We then see lots of people dying in the chat and go to lobby instantly. We then get told that a hacker is teleporting everyone on server one at a time to a field to be executed. We join another server only to find that there is a black suv driving around Balota (hacked in), we switch servers before anything else bad happens.... and on the new server we approach balota slow only to hear AS50 from far away. we start looking for the guy then 10 sec later we hear AS50 close range from a totally different direction. A guy had shot my friend from 20m. I turn and drop 20 rounds of Mk48 into the guy. No game glitch, no desync, the guy stands up unphased and starts looking around for where my bullets are coming from..... if he has been where he was the whole time, HE SHOULD HAVE KNOWN where i was. Our approach was so that anything close would have spotted us easily, but we'd obviously spot them and with our heavy gear we'd win any fights. Eitherway the only explanation is teleportation and invincibility hack. Luckily I DCed before i died, but my friends were not as lucky. Note the guy took dozens of heavy caliber rounds from many different weapons and still walked around like he was being tickled.

For those of you who think The War Z will be the ultimate in zombie apocalypse survival simulator you will be sadly disappointed. It’s nothing more than a War Inc mod. We all have no idea what the completed version of DayZ will be like, whether its standalone or DLC is of little consequence.

The War Z will not live up to its expectations, but that’s not to say some other developer won’t, or already hasn’t started making their own unique version of DayZ. The popularity of DayZ as a mod to an outdated game hasn’t gone unnoticed by the gaming community, and the explosion of internet traffic after the announcement of The War Z has undoubtedly raised even more eyebrows.

Sure, the list of features currently being propagated by The War Z are impressive, and for many survivalist their exactly what they’re looking for in such a game. Problem is The War Z will fail horribly in their execution of said promises. Obviously no one owns the idea of a zombie apocalypse survival game, and surely other developers will notice gamer’s interests in the genre and make similar games. You’ll have to be patient though, just like everyone currently playing DayZ now has to be patient for a final product. Making games takes time, and making a good or great game can take years.

• Like 2

1 Hour later:

This thread was locked becouse it wasn't really going about the thread anymore, but just discussions about the point of this thread.

12 hours later, the thread is still open.