rocket

The One, The Only: I HATE TEMP THREAD

i like it... sure there could be different approaches...but i just spent the last 3hrs going through towns and travelling the map just to find matches...and as i got them and got out of a city i made a fire...but i got the Flu...so now im off to a hospital to find my cure...another adventure awaits :D

let us just make do with whats happening and move on from there... next update will be even more brutal and rockets experiment to test out our resilience will continue...i know ill be there to keep on surviving :P

Not even sure what it does...I mean I do, but it seemed pointless. I swam in the ocean to Skalisky Island (of course lost all my shit). My Tempval was 0 for what seemed like 5-8 min. Then my blood slowly went down. He coughed a bit. I got attacked by some Z's and got down to about 8k blood. Still my Tempval 0, but nothing else happened. He just continued to cough. Was able to bypass the shaking with 3rd person. So I wasn't in any great NEED to get my Tempval up or anything at the time. I sat and talked to a guy for quite some time and still nothing. /shrug

After playing 1.5.8.2 for an hour or so, a few suggestions about temperature....

When you're sprinting, the game uses a lot of food so if you have food (food icon is not at rock bottom) and you're sprinting, it should increase your temperature.

Sitting round a fire should increase your temp at about 3x the rate it does now.

You should be able to shake off a cold within 6 hours play time as long as your temp stays above 66%.

I find the mechanic interesting but flawed. It certainly affects my game play in such a way that if it's raining, I need to stay indoors. Yesterday my friends and I were holed up in a building for over two hours waiting for the rain to pass. While it was interesting making small talk and making sure our defenses were sound...I found the effect to be a little extreme. I've found that my character can't stand five minutes in the rain before running the risk of hypothermia. I find that to be a highly flawed mechanic as it literally limits my options completely to 1)Go Indoors 2)Build a Fire or 3) Get sick. While finding shelter is realistic I notice that some buildings or areas of buildings fail to prevent the loss of temperature such as the bathrooms in the barracks. It further limits my options. I have also heard that the rain will put out your fire...I'm not keen on wasting my wood on that. As for number three...being cold and wet shouldn't give me an illness. I've worked on crab boats, I know what cold and wet feels like and if this mechanic reflected reality I would be dead ten times over.

I feel a better way to introduce illness and temperature would be to split the two. Body warmth should be set to 98.6 and would only go down after 1)extended lengths of time swimming 2)hours in the rain instead of mere minutes and 3)extreme blood loss. Temperature may go up to fight off a "fever" that was caught off other players and infected meat/water. Medicine and water should help lower the fever.

I think that the temperature shouldn't play such a prominent role...but perhaps just an enhancer to your current state. If I'm perfectly healthy and robust...a little rain isn't going to bother me. But if I'm severely wounded and starving, struggling to make it to the next town...a cold rain may just be soul destroying.

And on the topic of rain...how about it filling up our water bottles after a minute or so?

Firewood should be gathered from trees. It should be abundant and not require me to enter town. It's absolutely silly that I can survive 100% on the land with canteens, a knife, matches, and a crossbow, but if I get cold I have to leave the woods to get firewood... That's just dumb. Colossally DUMB.

I don't know if there's a system in place to collect wood in the open. Maybe that's asking too much. In that case ditch the firewood and just assume that the player will be able to find plenty of wood out in the open, considering he's SURROUNDED ON ALL SIDES BY TREES. Jesus.

I got to be honest with you, I live in New England and I've been outside in a snow storm with a t-shirt on before and I haven't started coughing up blood, convulsing, shaking like a maraca, or any of the crazy stuff that happens from running in an open field on a warm summer day. There's no reason at all for your temperature to go down in the day, especially in the sun, especially while running. :(

I think the temperature mechanic has a lot of potential but it feels mis-paced at the moment. Night and day last 12 hours, the map takes a considerable to traverse and it can easily rain for 3 hours at a time. This sets the pace of the game.

But temperature drops far too quickly for this time-scale and the weather conditions. Sure, if it was a -10c blizzard then it would fit - but it's just a bit of rain.

If temperature dropped at a tenth of its current rate it'd be much more realistic, especially if there were a variety of potential effects as it falls.

I think that the current implementation of temperature system is horrible, lost about 13 TempVal in 15 minutes while i was roaming Chernarus (sprinting, jogging and crouch walking).

IMO it would be better if TempVal wouldn't drop when the weather is clear and if TempVal would dropt it would drop much lower than now. Perhaps it would be best if temperature system would be scrapped until the hatchet is in game.

me and my friends were playing last night and we all caught colds' date=' then it started raining and we got rushed by a horde, but it was ultimatly entertaining. i agree that some of the functionality is off, but it is a good mechanic, had we prepared ourselves during the day by getting wood ahead of time, we would have been fine, maybe make it so sprinting keeps u somewhat warmer, or being inside at least drasticly slows the temp decrease? not sure if armas engine can handle that one but just a thought. but the temp system itself , just adds another layer of depth to the idea of having to survive, once it gets dark enough, you have to keep yourself warm, so you have to plan ahead if you play at night. just my thoughts on what we experienced last night, thanks and keep up the great work.

[hr']

Most animals exist without ever having fire. In a forest. Or even only some bushes or holes in the ground.

And Humans are still animals.

most if not all of those animals have some defense mechanism or method for dealing with cold' date=' such as fur, or burrowing. they dont just stand there and laugh at the cold.

[/quote']

Guess what!?!?!?

Humans use Hide, Fur or other clothing instead of having own Fur.

Pretty advanced, huh? I mean matches and making fire is pretty advanced but making clothing is like HYPER ADVANCED.

MRE's.

How about including MRE's as a somewhat rarer food drop? They warm with a chemical reaction, perhaps it could bring your temp up a bit to take you out of the danger zone.

I know where I am at the moment I sure would love one

Just a thought. ;)

I got so cold that I finally had to burn two of my favorite magic staffs!!!

.....oh wait, that was in a bad WOW dream :)

The current system makes humans seem like some sort of reptile which require an outside heat source to increase their internal temperature. Humans are (as you all are aware) are not reptiles and are able to regulate their own temperature through homeostasis. I understand if you go swimming in the ocean at night your temperature would drop due to the wet clothes taking heat away from your body. But, during the day the consistent temperature drop makes little sense. Also, the current "infection" system seems quite off. Humans gain infections from a suppressed immune system r/t stress (ie Zombie encounters or other physical harm) and the current system makes it seem like cold = sick, lolwut?

i was play today on day z and i will wright it in "Polish languaga" so u dont know that i will use bad language....( anyone want .. translate it for him self )

:.........................................................................>

Co za zyebany debil dostał się do ekipy tworzącej DAY Z i wdraża popierdzielone na maksa, kaleki i totalnie posrane pomysły jak infekcje , kupki drewna, i totalnie zjebany system sięgania do plecaka po cokolwiek. - NOSZKURWAJAPIERDOLE! jeszcze termometr w dupe wsadźcie graczom to pomoże!!!!!

<...............................................................................

that's all ( it was nice to play DAY Z ... it had great oportunities... i am sorry that it going down. let me know when somethink will change ... until than ... play without me .

... o! u can ban me for bad language

:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@

i was play today on day z and i will wright it in "Polish languaga" so u dont know that i will use bad language....( anyone want .. translate it for him self )

Co za zyebany debil dostał się do ekipy tworzącej DAY Z i wdraża popierdzielone na maksa' date=' kaleki i totalnie posrane pomysły jak infekcje , kupki drewna, i totalnie zjebany system sięgania do plecaka po cokolwiek. - NOSZKURWAJAPIERDOLE! jeszcze termometr w dupe wsadźcie graczom to pomoże!!!!!

<...............................................................................

that's all ( it was nice to play DAY Z ... it had great oportunities... i am sorry that it going down. let me know when somethink will change ... until than ... play without me .

:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@

[/quote']

You won't be missed.

Please stay away.

Also from what I see your text lacks the use of "kurwa", you might want to work on that.

Temperature system hopefully will be adjusted, and soon. It shouldn't be another meter to constantly watch out for because it just magically drops, no matter what you're doing. What about whether it's day, whether it's dry, sunny, whether you're running? It should go UP depending on these things, surely. Even when it's not sunny and totally dry and cloudy, normal people can y'know, actually survive outside for a long time without needing so much warmth =_=

Probably mentioned already but jeez, just make it happen so this feature isn't totally ridiculous. Yes, yes, I know it's an alpha.

Ummm, this may have been mentioned by someone before, but has anyone actually died yet from low temperature? Yesterday I got to 0 and was at it for I'm not sure how long before I figured out that you can start a fire without flat ground now. I was at 0 and the thing was blinking red but I never died. Didn't want to take the risk of waiting to see if I would eventually drop dead though. So, has anyone actually died of low temperature yet?

Seems to me that this system is currently just an exra inventory hogger, and just postponing the point where you consider taking risks because your character is 'properly' equipped for an apocolypse.

It is a new feature being tested as part of the Alpha. I am going to wait a bit and do more testing before making a judgement call.

This feature was not wanted at all as well as being flawed in design and execution. Having to push 3 hotfixes in as many days because of errors related to it as well as it being nigh incurable because the drop rate for antibiotics still being .22% is moronic. More time could have spent on fixing the already present problems that people were clamoring to be addressed.

I thought I would try it out for a while before I posted in the 'I HATE TEMP THREAD'

I don't hate it but I agree with 90% of the posts here that it is far from realistic and shouldn't be as harsh as it is. I know all player needs are scaled up because it is a game (10 x food & drink a day or DEATH) but temperature seems to be scaled up too much. It should really only be a problem in the rain at night or in water as I believe it was intended.

Suggestion because I can; maybe when tempval is falling at a fast rate the player can start shivering and teeth chattering. An audible and visual cue to get to cover before tempval gets too low.

I love the new temp stuff. Last night a friend and I had to camp out next to a fire to warm up while the rain poured down around it. It was a nice little touch to an already amazing game. Keep it up Rocket and Co.

Co za zyebany debil dostał się do ekipy tworzącej DAY Z i wdraża popierdzielone na maksa' date=' kaleki i totalnie posrane pomysły jak infekcje , kupki drewna, i totalnie zjebany system sięgania do plecaka po cokolwiek. - NOSZKURWAJAPIERDOLE! jeszcze termometr w dupe wsadźcie graczom to pomoże!!!!!

[/quote']

You won't be missed.

Please stay away.

Also from what I see your text lacks the use of "kurwa", you might want to work on that.

---- there is "kurwa" ... inside: "NOSZKURWAJAPIERDOLE!" and now i staying away. ;)

While I admit, I wasnt really neutral on the subject (disliked from the moment I read about it), I went ahead to actually play about 2 hours. Of course it had to rain for the whole time on all 3 servers that I tried, so I just went with it, had temp run to zero, while I tried to find matches anywhere in some villages :/

I don't hate it but find this temperature thing making the game less enjoyable (and I don't mean simply harder, thats ok). My personal issues with it are...

Inventory

So now in the already small-ish inventory (at least until you find better backpacks) you have to carry 2-slot wood items, effectively decreasing all bags by that amount (which I would even prefer if that was the goal)...sure, make wood common enough so we don't have to keep it in our bag but quickly pick it up when making a fire (then again, why need it at all then and not simply increase fire making animation or something)

More a hassle than fun (reminds me of farmville...collecting firewood? really?)

Sure, basically finding matches, wood and warming up is basically not too different from the need to drink and eat, except that you need it WAY more often. To me it seems it moves the focus/danger from zombies and other players to the weather being a major concern while we arent even in a arctic/desert scenario where you would expect this to be some big enemy.

Promotes the wrong behaviour

So before I did not like nightime too much but kept trying to get used to it. Now that night drops your temperature in addition (not to mention that lighting fires at night isnt smart unless far off/well hidden), encourages people even more to switch server.

Similar to rain of course...afterall, if night and/or rain makes you get cold and sick, whats a reasonable person to do? Stay inside and wait it out...works in real life but not playing a game isn't quite fun, sitting in some barn.

I think enough people explained how various aspects of this getting the cold system arent realistic so I wonder what Rocket's intention was - was it realism? In that case I find it very flawed (maybe let me catch some cold after days, not 1-2 hours etc).

Was it to make the game less forgiving/harder...there are easier things, reduce inventory, reduce max blood, increase zombie awareness radius and many other things that may be less...annoying.

Also, it rewards being less catious (run more) and punishes crawling around in towns a lot...unless of course you balance the crawling/temp loss but jogging 15min in circles afterwards away from town..again, rather not fun I think.

When I first read "infection" I thought thats really cool, expecting close encounters with zombies to get more dangerous...and spreading THAT kind of disease would be fun :)