maeludir@gmail.com

You Do Not Get a Cold From Being Cold

Hey, in case nobody knew, morphine does NOT instantly cure a pair of broken legs.

Oh, and getting shot usually requires more medical attention than slapping a bandage onto the wound.

Just wanted to clear that dire misinformation up. Wouldn't want gamers jumping off rooftops thinking that morphine will instantly heal their broken pelvises.

I know how you feel OP. Whenever I get mauled by zombies who get my blood to come out enough that its gushing like a fountain, I am outraged that a single bandage can stop this fountain of blood erupting out of me.

And that just being given a blood bag by a friend recovers loads of blood, YOU NEED PROPER MEDICAL EXPERTISE TO TRANSFUSE BLOOD. AND YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE RIGHT BLOOD TYPE.

Don't even get me started on how Morphine just magically fixes your broken legs so you can sprint for 5 miles, THE WRONG AMOUNT COULD KILL YOU. THOUSANDS OF PLAYERS STUCK IN THE WILDERNESS IN THE REAL WORLD WITH THEIR LAST SYRINGE OF MORPHINE WILL OVERDOSE BECAUSE OF THIS GAME, CAUSE THEY THOUGHT IT WOULD BE FINE TO STAB THEIR BROKEN LEGS WITH AS MUCH MORPHINE AS THEY CAN.

The devs should be hung for for this grave misinformation and rash endangerment of human lives.

I suppose that makes it a bit more intense.

I do understand where the OP is coming from, especially for a game that prides itself on realism, but I too take the position of being afraid too many gimmicky gameplay elements will ruin the experience. I don't want to have to urinate in a forest for fear of becoming sterile if I don't.

realistically, we wouldn't be shooting zombies.

... Or would we. :/

Nailed it. I was about to post this word for word.

What a fucking waste of forum space. Has anyone even played the thing yet?!?!?

It's a *game* and a cold is the least of your concerns in this one... fucking rotting bodies laying all over the place' date=' some virus that's turned the majority of the populace into flesh eating animals, NO working sewer (yeah, I know there are outhouses but I have yet to see anyone use one... that deuce you left in that apartment bedroom doesn't count, filthy fuckers!), NO heat, flies EVERYWHERE and pretty much everyone that isn't a zombie has been wearing the same clothes for WEEKS without a bath and have at least one untreated bullet wound festering away. And you guys are arguing about antibiotics and the common cold?

* Oktyabr shakes head in disappointment

[/quote']

GUYS:

It is the genesis of an idea :) Don't abort it before it's first term. Give it a chance to grow a little bit yet.

I hope the OP was just being ridiculously over dramatic and isn't really concerned that people in their real lives will begin seeking antibiotics for their common cold based exclusively upon the lessons learned from playing Day Z.

I'll also add that this thread is a perfect example of why the internet is so damn fantastic as long as you don't take it seriously. ;)

What a fucking waste of forum space. Has anyone even played the thing yet?!?!?

It's a *game* and a cold is the least of your concerns in this one... fucking rotting bodies laying all over the place' date=' some virus that's turned the majority of the populace into flesh eating animals, NO working sewer (yeah, I know there are outhouses but I have yet to see anyone use one... that deuce you left in that apartment bedroom doesn't count, filthy fuckers!), NO heat, flies EVERYWHERE and pretty much everyone that isn't a zombie has been wearing the same clothes for WEEKS without a bath and have at least one untreated bullet wound festering away. And you guys are arguing about antibiotics and the common cold?

* Oktyabr shakes head in disappointment

[/quote']

This...

This should conclude it. Please close thread now Oktyabr. Its nonsense.. We can analyze the entire mod with needle and thread (even the vanilla game) and come up with thousands of unrealistic game mechanics. Than we can see why those ideas are compromised for gameplay. Then we can move on. But no, we need to rant aimlessly about them so we can feel better about ourselves.

Personal Opinion: Methodology needs to be reworked and time needs to be spent researching contraction of diseases. However, I believe being inside should provide the same benefits to being near a campfire. (As you can't make a fire indoors)

Edit; we're also clearly immune to whatever disease is turning other people into walking corpses.

There's people irl who swim in frozen lakes for fun, and are very healthy, yet in dayz a simple rainshower turns you into a AIDS-ridden lobotomy patient, what the hell?

Not to mention the fact of MOVEMENT, it increases the metabolic rate, thus keeping one warm. (It would have to be pretty much freezing winter conditions for it to not make any difference)

What the hell is going on, the survivors in DayZ are currently made of paper and would instantly perish in any real world condition (which it's supposed to be based on) while any of us would easily be able to make it through...

Geez

Make the game LOGICALLY hard atleast, not randomly (which completely destroys the premise of it being a realistic survival simulation). More thought less coding i say.

The tipping point would be the moment where playing Superman64 feels more rewarding than surviving another day in DayZ.

Plz no.

So, the sentiment of the OP is clearly from the heart. People should appreciate that. That's a genuine concern, however;

Anybody that could or would take the word of a game (or likewise reality simulator), verbatim, with zero personal research, probably has a multitude of other problems that would cause struggle for such a person to even actually successfully exit the house in the first place.

Would definitely not hold up in a court either.

But again, the concern should be appreciated as it is, for what it is. A concern. One that over four pages has been savagely, in lighter terms, "been shown to have little grasp on the reality of actual human behaviour when presented with new information.".

I as well suggest thread lockage, unless anything else could be added in a civilized manner.

I basically agree with the OP. This infection feature can be more realistic while still being fun.

IMO, low temperature should lead to hypothermia (as in real life). Wounds should be at risk of bacterial infection, which can be treated by antibiotics (as in real life). Realism win, and still sounds immersive and fun to me.

GUYS:

It is the genesis of an idea :) Don't abort it before it's first term. Give it a chance to grow a little bit yet.

Like I said in OP' date=' I support the temperature condition, simply not the effects.

Re: Oktyabr, other overly hostle detractors:

The difference between zombies, morphine curing broken bones (getting broken bones from falling off a doorstep) and bandages curing bullet wounds is that these things are [b']OVERTLY FICTIONAL whereas the idea of cold temperatures causing colds has a seductive 'logic' to it that too many people already believe.

As to the antibiotic cure, well that's a much bigger issue. There are a lot of doctors out there who will prescribe antibiotics as if they were paracetamol, and the majority of the populace doesn't realize it's an issue because antibiotic resistant bacteria are confusing and rarely in the mainstream. Once again its usage in Dayz to cure a cold is SUBTLE with no general knowledge/experience on the player's part to contradict it.

Hey, Dr. Spergking, who the hell said it was the common cold? Everything Ive seen it is referenced as an infection. Read the freaking patch notes.

GUYS:

Like I said in OP' date=' I support the temperature condition, simply not the effects.

The difference between zombies, morphine curing broken bones (getting broken bones from falling off a doorstep) and bandages curing bullet wounds is that these things are [b']OVERTLY FICTIONAL whereas the idea of cold temperatures causing colds has a seductive 'logic' to it that too many people already believe.

As to the antibiotic cure, well that's a much bigger issue. There are a lot of doctors out there who will prescribe antibiotics as if they were paracetamol, and the majority of the populace doesn't realize it's an issue because antibiotic resistant bacteria are confusing and rarely in the mainstream. Once again its usage in Dayz to cure a cold is SUBTLE with no general knowledge/experience on the player's part to contradict it.

GUYS:

Nah, not overtly hostile, really... My reply was more tongue in cheek because I know that rocket tries DAMN hard to code something that will work "realistically" and gets concerned when things like "cold", (perhaps a poor choice of words?) sets off a bonfire of reactive posts, most without any first hand experience in how it's actually implemented (i.e., they haven't even tried it yet!) You should have seen the long, heated threads about past updates!

I appreciate your concern and admire your medical knowledge, sincerely I mean that... but to nitpick something that has absolutely no direct impact on the game or how it's played (the choice of words) is just... I'll let you pick the end to that one.

Incidentally do you know the historic idiom behind "catch a cold"? It predates modern medicine and surely antibiotics. While the use of that phrase is still a well used antiquated remnant of history long past I think it very rare that anyone in the civilized world would seek the use of antibiotics and further that no licensed physician would prescribe them for the "common cold". And yet various strains of flu, more serious infections like pneumonia, even some serious STDs can manifest themselves in a way that "I think I'm coming down with a cold." is one of the first (amateur) prognosis.

Ease up and apply yourself to hypothermia or something, things that could still use work.

So' date=' the sentiment of the OP is clearly from the heart. People should appreciate that. That's a genuine concern, however;

Anybody that could or would take the word of a game (or likewise reality simulator), verbatim, with zero personal research, probably has a multitude of other problems that would cause struggle for such a person to even actually successfully [i']exit the house in the first place.

Would definitely not hold up in a court either.

But again, the concern should be appreciated as it is, for what it is. A concern. One that over four pages has been savagely, in lighter terms, "been shown to have little grasp on the reality of actual human behaviour when presented with new information.".

I as well suggest thread lockage, unless anything else could be added in a civilized manner.

Agreed, mate. By the way, different colors do not make you cool. :sleepy:

I think the OP had a valid point. There obviously are arguments to be made against his point of view. Instead people are lashing out with ad hominem attacks to the OP.

Sad to see a mod join into the mindless fray, I must say.

I share the OP's sentiment that suggesting pills as the prime treatment for a common cold is not good.

I'd like for pills to maybe even have a slight negative effect when taken too often.

I share the OP's sentiment that suggesting pills as the prime treatment for a common cold is not good.

I'd like for pills to maybe even have a slight negative effect when taken too often.

Please tell me where in the patch notes it says anything about this being a common cold? Seriously....WTF people, learn to read.

It is an infection....there are dead bodies everywhere, walking dead, no working plumbing, no electricity, etc. so unknown infections and diseases are probably pretty common right now.

Closed. Hoping OP would get the last word in but maybe he remembered IT'S A GAME and decided to go play?