Sign in to follow this  
deathdanish

World Building: DayZ Radio

So I've been listening to a few interviews lately and noticed how intent Rocket is on world building in ways that do not interfere with the core gameplay of DayZ.

He mentioned finding notes scattered around the world. Notes are fine, diaries, newspaper clippings, things like that. But text can only impart so much I think.

It would be extremely interesting if the team (or industrious players) were able to put together something like a radio station to listen to while playing DayZ. It could have music, but much more importantly it could have a DJ that could comment on events (either real or fictional) that have happened recently. Maybe play clips from a fictional news reporter, executive officials, the UN, military commanders, etc. It could have guest features (Dr. Wasteland?). It could give tips to players on where to find food and water, how to avoid Zeds, maybe even admonish the actions of bandits and encourage teamwork and cooperation. Perhaps have a segment that relates wasteland stories, comedic or tragic, that have been sent in by "listeners".

The radio could be either in game -- through the use of actual radios that you can find, piece together, and power -- or externally available and playable through any mp3 player. If it were available in game it would create an interesting dynamic both in terms of acquisition and because of how sound works in the engine.

Anyway this is just the product of about 20 minutes of thinking and typing. More than welcome to hear others opinions, suggestions, criticism, etc.

And sorry if this has been suggested before, couldn't find anything like it on Reddit or within the first few pages.

Edit: The big hurdles here would of course be time and money -- Rocket will likely want to retain his rights (I would too if I were him) and this idea would likely require either huge grassroots funding or the help of a big production studio. If the station has too few clips, things could get repetitive very quickly, perhaps ruining immersion for players -- i.e hearing about the same bandit raid in Stary that left 20 dead, over and over and over for weeks. This was my main gripe with the default radio stations in the Fallout games. Then again, recording a large number and variety of clips would take the talents of many actors and finding the right DJ could prove troublesome. If the station included music there would be the question of distribution rights for licensed tracks or payment for sound artists, composers, etc. if it were decided to create and use original music.

Edited by deathdanish
  • Like 6

Reminds me a bit of fallout 3/new vegas' radio system. Anyone else remember three dog?

This is exactly where I got the idea. I was tired of listening to my usual musical fare, as it didn't mesh well with the gameplay of DayZ. I remembered using mods like CONELRAD and Existence 2.0 that really enhanced the immersion of these other post-apocalyptic scenarios.

Edited by deathdanish
  • Like 1

Let me stress how much I LOVEEEEEE this idea. I think that we dont need to worry about a basic "radio station" that will come eventually. The only problem would be one person or anactual group of people controling It. So i think it will happen but at the same time i feel like it wont.... get me? Mr. wasteland..... NEW VEGAS RADIOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

• Like 1

are you sure this wouldn't break the atmosphere i think they're going for?

I am in agreement with this. The only sounds of DayZ should be gun fire, the suspenseful ambiance tracks, and whatever friends you have playing with you, screaming in horror and fear.

Nice idea. I was thinking about it as well,only in an other variation. Like that players could (power up and) use a radio to communicate in large vicinity. Ofcourse,it can attract bandits but so friendly survivors.

What if survivors and bandits alike had the chance to fight over control of known radio towers, whilst groups hold it down. Radio towers could be destroyed in a similar way to destructible buildings.

On top of the radio towers that already exist, it would be cool if clans could construct their own.

Spammers would quickly be taken out (or switched off), so I can't see any negative aspects to this, plus it heavily involves the community.

What if, CD's/audio files could be found as loot in game, and the source of the songs was the DayZ community (if the songs don't breach copyright)?

I support radios in DayZ, but a little different;

Personally I think that (portable) radios should be used, instead of in-game VOIP and be a part of the loot system. If you manage to find a radio, you can use it to talk to other players with a radio and get random messages with coördinates of crashed helicopters or secret stashes. By implementing multiple types of radios it's easier to get one (eg. walkie-talkie vs militairy radio), which have different ranges (walkie-talkie: 100m, millitairy grade radio: 5km, some others in between). This way communication is more realistic and makes it possible for groups to keep in contact while parted.

By using batteries to power them, you still need to be carefull when and how to use the radio... When entering a city it might be wise to scan the channels to listen for survivors who might want to harm you, or while walking in the middle of nowhere you might hear a SOS of a fellow survivor or a radio beacon with some nice loot.

Having a radio station doesn't really make sense, unless it's from overseas (or ships far away from the coast). But then you'll need a regular radio which has no further use at all (except for entertainment and some hinting).

If they bring in radios they'll need channels as well. That way when you and your clan think your on the "safe" channel 43, some bandit has his radio set to SCAN carefully listening to all the chit chatter.

Really my original idea was more about world building,rather than player to player communication - that is, relating a narrative to players that go out of their way to discover a means by which to uncover information. Rocket has stated that he has a vision, or at least is working towards that state, of what exactly happened, why it happened, and what the repercussions are outside of day to day survival for those left uninfected.

Right now the game does primal needs very well. Food, water, primitive shelter, and the means to defend those things.

Rocket wants to move the game beyond that primary need system, while still retaining their necessity, and retaining the prevailing sense of danger and caution (this is taken from recent interviews, within the last week).

As far as a radio station ruining immersion - well, just read the above. There should be something more than just primary living, for players that want it, and are looking to get more out of the game than collection, exploration, and deathmatch. This wouldn't be a mandatory, on all the time, everyone can hear it anywhere, kind of thing, I like Grezvany13s idea of an effective range. Perhaps you could only hear the station during certain times of the day (short daily broadcasts at 5pm server time, for instance), within a certain range of a broadcast tower, with a working radio attached to some sort of static (non-mobile) power supply. Perhaps these towers are Zed hotspots, or are near high-value, high-traffic areas. You have to actually put yourself at risk to find out more about the world, rather than sitting pretty near your camp sniping bandits/survivors (which is fine, but you'll never really know what is going on elsewhere).

As for a radio station of this ilk being impossible on Chernarus... well, at first it looked like any kind of emergency medical aid would be impossible. Then Dr. Wasteland and his field medics showed up. People thought there would be no sense of law or a police force to defend and protect. These kinds of organizations are popping up. Right now there isn't any form of trade or currency. That could happen in the near future. It is not out of the realm of possibility to believe there is an underground (literal or figurative) group of people who make it their mission to collect and disseminate information to survivors on Chernarus.

Edited by deathdanish

Well this idea is really nice, but the resources it requires are a real problem, may we can get rocket to launch a community project, and give people he possibility to send in their personal story, which might not be a mass kill at stary.

I'd also like to show my idea of implementing radios:http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/67872-radio-beam-radio-amateur-radio/