Simu

Which is better; installing DayZ manually, or using the Six Updater?

I'm curious, because I just bought Arma 2 Combined Operations, and want to install DayZ, but I don't know if I should install it manually or use the six updater.

Edited by Simu

I find doing it manually ends up with less errors on my end.

Six was designed to managed the multitude of mods that you cannot even use with DayZ. It's a lot of overhead for an installation that amounts to copying the DayZ files to a mod folder.

I vote for manual.

Edited by Etropalld

manual gives more control over the beta patches. I installed with six but then do beta patches with the downloaded patches.

Manual, i just prefer to do it that way.

i would say manual, and it is pretty simple to do without getting any errors, if you have problems feel free to PM me.

The only problem you will find is when a new update comes out, and hotfixes starts to roll in. Then you will have to keep yourself up-to-date with the servers, while all servers are changing around from one version to another. This can cause a lot of confusion, and using Six Updater sometimes makes things a whole lot simpler at that point.

Other than that there isn't really much of a difference. If you are good at getting the newest versions yourself,you might aswell do that. But you can go the lazy way and get Six Updater to do it all for you ^^

Manual or Day Z commander. Six updater keep cocking up.

just to be different, i'd say Six for install but not to launch a game.

use the in game browser with filters to launch.

just put dayz in the mission field and you're good to go - no waiting for the game to load.

Use Steam/manual for whenever you need to revert to an old DayZ version, or beta patch.

Use Six launcher for playing on current servers.

That's how I use them. Works nice!

Edit: This method results in being able to server hop between any kind of new/old versions (of any kind so long as you have backups of them) in 2~3minutes. I pretty much keep Steam on 1.7.1.5 (personally my fav. build so far...most stable).

Edited by Shea