Sign in to follow this  
t0pz

Hackers insta-killing non-stop, how do we identify/report them?

So we've been dealing with a griefer (or more) coming onto our server over the past few days only to hack using severly damaging scripts, usually ending in insta-killing the entire server, destroying about 64 people's characters each time.

We, as admins, are given no tools or means to deal with this issue, so i am asking: What can we do to investigate this? The logs do not show anything useable at all.

If we provide the time of the incident and the server name, as well as a list of players that were online at the time, and send all this information to the DayZ / Community Support team, will this make a difference at all? Or are even the hive logs as useless as the server logs? I would imagine a single client triggering a kill/reset-all event on the server would be something that can be detected.

Nevermind the "teleport" "invincible" "invisible" and "item" hackers that we've had to deal with.

We are seriously considering suspending the server and support for the mod altogether to avoid having more players loose all their stuff and get upset with DayZ and our server.

Edited by t0pz
  • Like 1

Yeah we are thinking of doing the same thing being there is no way to combat the hackers and dayz limits how we ban/kick/run are servers. I mean seriously whats the point in running a server with no protection and no support from the devs on the issue?

• Like 1

Yeah we are thinking of doing the same thing being there is no way to combat the hackers and dayz limits how we ban/kick/run are servers. I mean seriously whats the point in running a server with no protection and no support from the devs on the issue?

I have noticed the whining in the "Ban Appeals" forum falls on deaf ears. I ban freely, and have stopped worrying about the consequences.

I have noticed the whining in the "Ban Appeals" forum falls on deaf ears. I ban freely, and have stopped worrying about the consequences.

Well, i would ban freely as well, if i could even make out WHO it was... I don't mind people appealing their ban, and then me unbanning them for lack of evidence. But either way, banning them instantly to at least get rid of the culprit for the time being would help a lot already.

Just happened on US 171.

Got curious, you said that admins don't have the proper tools to investigate this cheaters. But what do you guys have as admins?

Just happened on US 171.

Got curious, you said that admins don't have the proper tools to investigate this cheaters. But what do you guys have as admins?

Nothing except "Kick" "Ban" and "Restart" and the ability to check the server logs out of game, which are useless

Edited by t0pz

Is there not a log showing what scripts have been run?

Not if they're undetected

There has to be something we can do to combat this. Considering this is a 'hardcore' game when it comes to dying. It's sad that these people have nothing better to do than to ruin for others!

yes this is a heavy topic as I just started a server a few hours ago and when i look into the logs i can see ddos attacks and script kiddies but if they do a BE bypass that is where the log trail ends. I have thought about looking at more of the script end of things but its gonna take me a few days to figure out how the BE works in general and see if there are any other scripts that can be added to it to "beef" up some security....was thinking there might be a way to monitor maybe the client side upstream to the server for more traffic flow than what is normally needed. That might be one of many ways to stop brute force hacks through the client and also limit heavy script usage.

anyways just my two cents.

and yes it would be nice to have a tool we could have up and running for remote of the servers to help out with more than what you can do using the recon command line ingame. running dual monitors and best i can do is setup a remote terminal prompt to watch activity on the server but thats kind of useless in terms of logging proof of attacks.

• Like 1

What i don't understand is that rocket is relying a lot on battleye, sometimes even praising its great development, when in fact its incredibly easy to circumvent battleye detection using self-created scripts. I know for a fact that it would not be hard to create a custom cheat detection for the mod itself. It would send warnings at certain event, such as a player receiving items that are not acquirable within dayz, instant changes in the player's position (teleport) and regular health hack checks to see if the player is able to take damage (invincibility). And i'm sure there are solutions to other type of events as well, mod-wise. Arma itself is absolutely not ready for proper cheat-detection, and battle-eye is not reliable.

• Like 2

man i was just in US126 one of the daymod.com's servers hosted by Roosterteeth and

i was killed by a guy named "UglySticks" obviously he was a hacker because after killing me the first time

he teleported to my spawn is killed me there as well... We need a report system telling DayZ Battle eye that there are hackers and need to get banned!!!!!

man i was just in US126 one of the daymod.com's servers hosted by Roosterteeth and

i was killed by a guy named "UglySticks" obviously he was a hacker because after killing me the first time

he teleported to my spawn is killed me there as well... We need a report system telling DayZ Battle eye that there are hackers and need to get banned!!!!!

What i don't understand is that rocket is relying a lot on battleye, sometimes even praising its great development, when in fact its incredibly easy to circumvent battleye detection using self-created scripts. I know for a fact that it would not be hard to create a custom cheat detection for the mod itself. It would send warnings at certain event, such as a player receiving items that are not acquirable within dayz, instant changes in the player's position (teleport) and regular health hack checks to see if the player is able to take damage (invincibility). And i'm sure there are solutions to other type of events as well, mod-wise. Arma itself is absolutely not ready for proper cheat-detection, and battle-eye is not reliable.

agreed