Sign in to follow this  
HaloSamurai

Range finder not spawning?

Ive been searching for quite a while and I cant get a range finder.. are they spawning on this patch? Ive checked both barracks many times (yes i server hopped for a bit even) and i cant seem to find one.

Yeah I've seen NVGs, GPS and a ton of ghillie suits at spawn, but I have yet to see a spawned range finder.

They seem to be super rare...

Your best bet would be killing someone for it, or just trying to farm it if you're really lame (I mean the farm trick with loot despawn not legit searching)

• Like 1

Use a map ... just as accurate.

At the end of the video.

• Like 1

While you use the map the guy you're sniping moves away...

When you are a smart sniper, you chose your fights.

You prepare maps and know the ranges of various key buildings.

If you can't be bothered preparing a map, you place a waypoint in the center of town, and estimate from there.

This is a military simulation, so you might aswell take advantage of all the possibilities it has to offer and immerse yourself ... this sin't CoD.

Also, if you are sniping alone, meh ...

Sniper + Spotter = win

Edited by P5ykoOHD
  • Like 1

While you use the map the guy you're sniping moves away...

Yeah but you can still estimate his distance relative to the distance given by the waypoint marker. Its still better than blind guessing

• Like 2

Well, most snipers are lying in one place stationary for quite some time. At least in close proximity. That is my experience with snipers anyway.

I like how P5yko took CoD as an example, as is the standard here :) Yeah sniping with a spotter is the best way and sniping alone is boring as hell. It's pretty exciting when you wait for an hour or so for someone to appear in your sights. Turn off the lights and stay close to the monitor, after 15 minutes it really feels like you're there :)

arnt way points disabled on many servers similar to the nameplate/auto ranging? god i hope so thats so fk'ing lame

m24/dmr/m107/svd have built in range finders anyway (someone derpped the as50 scope so it always ranges long and the correction isnt somthing you can do on the fly in most cases)

Edited by stuffnthings

I like how P5yko took CoD as an example, as is the standard here :) Yeah sniping with a spotter is the best way and sniping alone is boring as hell. It's pretty exciting when you wait for an hour or so for someone to appear in your sights. Turn off the lights and stay close to the monitor, after 15 minutes it really feels like you're there :)

I took CoD as an example, cause it's what most people seem to understand the best ...

Sniping with a spotter does not only involve cmping like a twig for hours on end ... you can be on the move from town to town, the advantage of that binome is that you the shooter can keep your eye on target, and your spotter can give you a very good estimation using the map.

For people playing on Servers that don't allow waypoints:

Use the grids, and learn to read a map / recognise the landscape.

1 big square = 1000m

1 little = 100m

Find where you are, look where target is, count the grids = you got your estimation. 1 shot for range confirmation, another to kill.

Edit:

m24/dmr/m107/svd have built in range finders anyway (someone derpped the as50 scope so it always ranges long and the correction isnt somthing you can do on the fly in most cases)

Yes, there is also the range finding using mil dots.

Edited by P5ykoOHD
  • Like 1

Nope still in the game, taken from the current 1.7.2.3 dayz_code.pbo but a really rare spawn in the barracks only at the NWAF

class MilitarySpecial: Default {

zombieChance = 0.400000;

minRoaming = 2;

maxRoaming = 6;

zombieClass = {"z_soldier_heavy"};

lootChance = 0.400000;

lootPos = {};

itemType = {{"M16A2", "weapon"}, {"M16A2GL", "weapon"}, {"M249_DZ", "weapon"}, {"M9SD", "weapon"}, {"M136", "weapon"}, {"AK_47_M", "weapon"}, {"AK_74", "weapon"}, {"M4A1_Aim", "weapon"}, {"AKS_74_kobra", "weapon"}, {"AKS_74_U", "weapon"}, {"AK_47_M", "weapon"}, {"M24", "weapon"}, {"SVD_CAMO", "weapon"}, {"M1014", "weapon"}, {"M107_DZ", "weapon"}, {"DMR", "weapon"}, {"M4A1", "weapon"}, {"M14_EP1", "weapon"}, {"UZI_EP1", "weapon"}, {"Remington870_lamp", "weapon"}, {"glock17_EP1", "weapon"}, {"M240_DZ", "weapon"}, {"M4A1_AIM_SD_camo", "weapon"}, {"M16A4_ACG", "weapon"}, {"M4A1_HWS_GL_camo", "weapon"}, {"Mk_48_DZ", "weapon"}, {"M4A3_CCO_EP1", "weapon"}, {"AmmoBoxSmall_556", "object"}, {"AmmoBoxSmall_762", "object"}, {"NVGoggles", "weapon"}, {"Binocular", "weapon"}, {"ItemFlashlightRed", "military"}, {"ItemKnife", "military"}, {"ItemGPS", "weapon"}, {"ItemMap", "military"}, {"Binocular_Vector", "military"}, {"DZ_Assault_Pack_EP1", "object"}, {"DZ_Patrol_Pack_EP1", "object"}, {"DZ_Backpack_EP1", "object"}, {"", "medical"}, {"", "generic"}, {"", "military"}, {"PipeBomb", "magazine"}};

itemChance = {0.100000, 0.050000, 0.010000, 0.020000, 0.010000, 0.200000, 0.100000, 0.020000, 0.100000, 0.100000, 0.100000, 0.010000, 0.010000, 0.200000, 0.010000, 0.020000, 0.100000, 0.030000, 0.200000, 0.100000, 0.200000, 0.010000, 0.040000, 0.050000, 0.020000, 0.010000, 0.080000, 0.040000, 0.020000, 0.010000, 0.100000, 0.050000, 0.150000, 0.010000, 0.030000, 0.010000, 0.020000, 0.030000, 0.020000, 0.300000, 1.000000, 5.000000, 0.010000};

};

class Land_Mil_Barracks_i: MilitarySpecial

arnt way points disabled on many servers similar to the nameplate/auto ranging? god i hope so thats so fk'ing lame

From what i know the waypoints are only disabled in EXPERT servers (you can still use them in recruit/regular/veteran servers)

Yeah I've seen NVGs, GPS and a ton of ghillie suits at spawn, but I have yet to see a spawned range finder.

They seem to be super rare...

Your best bet would be killing someone for it, or just trying to farm it if you're really lame (I mean the farm trick with loot despawn not legit searching)

where did you see ghillie suits spawn? ...

Must have been on a server that wasn't running 1.7.2.3 as they are no longer in the loot tables for now until rocket fixes some things with them.

Lol no.

Built in rangefinder only has the SVD.

Rest have Mildots WHICH </> RANGEFINDER.

Also the rangefinder on SVD does not give you a number its an estimate

Lol no.

Built in rangefinder only has the SVD.

Rest have Mildots WHICH </> RANGEFINDER.

you do realsie mildots are a built in range finder you can calcualte the range to within under 50 meters
Also the rangefinder on SVD does not give you a number its an estimate

same with SVD gives range to within about 50 meters

close enough for accurate fire even at long rnage becasue you also know which side of the 50 meter divide you are, they are as accureate as looking at the distance on a nameplate server

and as accurate as a range finder in actual shooting terms

figure out how to do it, check range with range finder and youll be zeroing to the same mark and aimming slightly low or high to copensate exactly the same

Edited by stuffnthings

Playing on a bad server ? Not everyone plays on a server with fking markers enabled. Navigating without waypoints is one of the charms of the game ;)

I've looted one range finder in four months. It is quite rare. Note looted, not picked up off a duper/hacker corpse.

Another range finding trick is to use the map and the Pythagorean theorem. Count the grid squares in the horizontal and vertical direction to the target, square both of them and add them. Save yourself the trouble though of taking the square root, that's a waste of time. You can just observe which two squared integers the result lies between and know the range within 100m. An example:

You count 4 squares down and 5 squares left. 16 + 25 = 41. This is between 36 and 49 therefore your target is between 600 and 700 meters out. With a little practice you can do this very quickly.

Edited by Gustav Mahler

I find them at Devil Castle when I need one, almost every-time I go there

c/p from another thread i replyed to:

"you calculate the distance with mildots by multiplying the hight of the target by 1000 and devide it by the number of mildots the target is tall

in maximum zoom level.

a standing person is 1.80m in general . so lets say a standing person is 3 mildots tall. 1,80m x 1000 / 3 = distance to your target in meters.

this works with every measurement. doesn´t matter if you use Meters, Cm, Feet, Yards, Inches etc."