Sign in to follow this  
StoneColdSteve

3rd person is MORE realistic.

no, i can't see the back of my own head irl, nor can i see around corners without sticking my head out.

on the other hand, i don't walk around wearing horse blinders either. the 1st-person view in this game is incredibly bad, if your vision looks like this irl you need to go see an eye doctor. tell him your peripheral vision has gone blind.

the 3rd person view gives a much closer approximation to my real life awareness of my surroundings and my body position. i can do a lot of things irl that it's just not possible in a game to simulate. if i'm crawling through high grass, i can pick my head up and peek over the top without getting all the way up into a kneeling position. it's much easier to control one's body to peek around a corner than to painstakingly crouch-walk up to the EXACT right spot in a game and press q/e. i can scan my vison around effortlessly with both eye movement and head turning WITHOUT changing direction or having to use a command to enable "free look" and then hurriedly turn it off so i don't run into a wall.

if being snotty about how hardcore you are because you only play 1st person makes you feel good, then ok, go ahead. it DOES make the game harder, no doubt, but it is NOT more realistic. it's just an extra handicap. if you are really super-1337 hardcore man you should turn your sound off too, maybe jack your video settings down enough so it looks like nighttime in the brightest day. that way you can play as a deaf person with some sort of even-more exotic eye disease than just lacking the ability to see anything not directly in front of you.

• Like 15

I guess I'm a snotty hardcore person with some bull shit eye disease then. 3rd person should be removed. Want to increase your first person fov? Double tap the minus key on your numpad. And maybe you don't know what the left alt key does?

I use Track IR.... quite incredible for this game. Although lately, when I'm looking at a photo or a screenshot, I'll shift my head to look around and wonder why my viewpoint isn't changing. That's how natural using it becomes.

Compelling mystery, holmes

Elementary, my dear Aras.

But there's peripheral vision. When something is off-screen, but within the range of what you'd see irl, you see a small white dot at the edge of your screen.

Alternatively, you could mess with the field of view.

Actually if you are using your neck you are using the free look mode.

You should cut it out.

Edited by SillySil
  • Like 1

messing with fov is just substituting one eye disease for another. "great, my peripheral vison is back! umm, why is everything so far away?"

3rd person is flawed for sure, but it's still a closer approximation to my actual awareness of my surroundings than 1st person is.

messing with fov is just substituting one eye disease for another. "great, my peripheral vison is back! umm, why is everything so far away?"

3rd person is flawed for sure, but it's still a closer approximation to my actual awareness of my surroundings than 1st person is.

While I don't have the scientific terms to back it up, from my pesonal experience i think FOV makes a huge difference in first person and just feels natural. I play lots of FPS like battlefield, CS, back to the old days of rainbow six and delta force, first thing i always do is tweak the FOV.

Personally i think 3rd person gives a false sense of natural vision, because you see your own character in the center, you always have something to refocus your eyes because you're not looking for away all the time. In first person, a game will always feel like a game because IRL you are constantly focusing your eyes on something, but this can never be truly represented in a game. So your eyes end up getting tired because you seem to be looking at one frame (or box) at a time, and if you move around too much you'll get motion sickness. Increasing FOV helps, as well as self conditioning.

if being snotty about how hardcore you are because you only play 1st person makes you feel good, then ok, go ahead. it DOES make the game harder, no doubt, but it is NOT more realistic. it's just an extra handicap. if you are really super-1337 hardcore man you should turn your sound off too, maybe jack your video settings down enough so it looks like nighttime in the brightest day. that way you can play as a deaf person with some sort of even-more exotic eye disease than just lacking the ability to see anything not directly in front of you.

How about some of use just prefer 1st person view and find it easier. You seem to have an attitude problem.. you seem to think anyone who does not agree with you is a dick. Both options are available, so what is the problem?

Anyone with half a brain would know that both system are a compromise, and neither are perfect. One allows you to look around corners without exposing yourself and see your own back while giving you better peripheral vision, not exactly realistic. The other restricts your peripheral vision while but stops you seeing yourself and being able to look around objects etc. Both have pros & cons. Hence why both options are available.

Your view that one is more realistic to the other is an opinion.. not a fact, get off your high horse.

• Like 1

Double tap minus to solve your problem, oh wait - it doesn't, it just gives you an artificially wider field of view. If you see through your eyes like that in real life you have serious issues because I don't see how seeing things like a fish is normal. On top of that you don't have any spatial awereness at all in first person view.

Of course most everyone will disagree with me and OP because they're either stupid and retarded or they are "elitist" dicks who revere FPS view, aside for some who understand what spatial awereness is.

Want to quickly find out which is more realistic?

1st person: You see out of your eyes. JUST LIKE IN REAL LIFE!

3rd person: You see yourself from 3 metres behind and above yourself. JUST LIKE IN REA- wait no, you're just being an idiot.

1st person is more realistic. You're just sad trying to justify 3rd person as being more real. Everyone uses it, there's no need to justify it. 1st person only players are better than you, there's no point trying to tease them and talk shit.

Double tap minus to solve your problem, oh wait - it doesn't, it just gives you an artificially wider field of view. If you see through your eyes like that in real life you have serious issues because I don't see how seeing things like a fish is normal. On top of that you don't have any spatial awereness at all in first person view.

Of course most everyone will disagree with me and OP because they're either stupid and retarded or they are "elitist" dicks who revere FPS view, aside for some who understand what spatial awereness is.

I think you need to do some research on FOV in games. True, our eyes can see up to around 170 degress, including the peripheral. But if you're staring at a monitor. Your brain doesn't know the difference. All it knows is, there should be more in it's view. Having a FOV below 65 for most on a PC produces eye strain and headaches because our brain knows there should be more to see, but there isn't. Increasing the FOV in a game tricks the brain into thinking its seeing more around the character. Going into 3rd person doesn't actually change your FOV in game (As far as I'm aware.) It just moves your camera to the back of your neck, instead of your eyes.

I'm staring at my monitor now as I type this and I can see my bedroom door, which is about 80 degrees to my right. The white glow/blurryness of it in my peripheral vision. Your brain is used to seeing these things in the corner of your eye, and having a game that's zoomed into 60 FOV makes the brain go crazy. So if the FOV increases in game. Your brain then starts to feel more comfortable.

Since you're so close to the monitor, your focal point of your eyes are focused o---y'know what. Video...

Personally I use 1st person regardless of whether 3rd is enabled on the server or not since I feel it gives a clearer view of what's in front of me - perhaps a little too well since, despite many tries with 3rd person or double minus key, I always go back to it. I feel that distinguishing movement is more important and easier to do in 1st than a better fov in 3rd.

Using 3rd person to see around trees and walls however is another matter.

Edited by A9Carlos