Sign in to follow this  
Jack Lz

So how many of you used your boy scout skills b4 u learned of shift+click?

I will admit here that i did not play arma b4 dayz/

i started when unique players was at 52k, there weren't alot of wikis and such.

But i was able to get a chenarus map on my smartphone and with a compass i did a pretty good job of finding my way thanks to the boy scouts.

Mind you im 42 and it all came back to me like it was yesterday.

Then a couple days ago after being a lone wolf for too long i i started looking into the different teamspeak sites and found out about waypoints.

I'm glad i learned the hard way first.

what about you? do you look at the map and compass or a gps baby? (i dont mean that in a mean way, many teens were born after gps was invented)

I only recently found out about waypoints. So useful~!

compass, clouds, shadows, and dead reckoning. rarely do I ever find a map in-game.

hell, just being able to read the contour lines can help you navigate if you're using an external map.

as for GPS: I've never seen one in-game.

waypoints only work on recruit servers

(i think)

some veteran, as far as i know there is no way to tell which ones tho, but confirmed also on veteran

you don't need a compass. I walked from Eletro to Devil Castle just useling a online map and land marks. It was pretty easy and fun.

• Like 1

Usually, I just base it off the clouds movement. Some games I find zero maps, and there are other games where I came across 3 maps in one building. So don't know what to tell people who would like to find one.

I've used them a fair share in the past and have pretty much stopped now.

I have the Dayzb map open on my ipad constantly though.

I do like to get lost sometimes.

compass, clouds, shadows, and dead reckoning. rarely do I ever find a map in-game.

hell, just being able to read the contour lines can help you navigate if you're using an external map.

as for GPS: I've never seen one in-game.

Usually, I just base it off the clouds movement. Some games I find zero maps, and there are other games where I came across 3 maps in one building. So don't know what to tell people who would like to find one.

yes yes , the cloud movement is west to east right? i cant remember

Cloud movements? They always blow inland?

I've had nothing but a watch and did the old find a vertical object, check the time of day and the position of the sun and you should find your bearings trick once or twice.

Paper map ftw I love navigating with it I don't use the in game map and a compass is just a bonus :D

map/compass usage for the win. also the ability to read grid cordinates is handy. military experience helped me out there, i actually make maps for the military so im pretty good with it

Ok, what are Waypoints? I mannage to get around fine with just a map, and using road signs in towns. Once you see a sign enough, it doesn't matter if it's in another language, you know what it says.

I use ingame map and my eyes. But then again i know west and north so well that i manage with out map :P

Edited by csharp

Ok, what are Waypoints? I mannage to get around fine with just a map, and using road signs in towns. Once you see a sign enough, it doesn't matter if it's in another language, you know what it says.

If you have a map on some( not all) servers you can shift+left click to create a waypoint that is only viewable by you . Do not double click as that waypoint can be seen by everyone in the chat that you are in.

Frankly, I try not to use waypoints. Ruins the fun of orienteering :D

Hell yeah boyscouts helped me a ton with the map, my friend that I play with have no clue how to read one or even navigate with one, its hilarious

I ran from electro to NWAF with no map, compass, or anything. I call it "luck". Literally just happened to get there, was just roaming around.

I magically was teleported up north when I logged in this morning. Using only a watch I figured out a mental compass using only Time and my shadow.

I will admit here that i did not play arma b4 dayz/

i started when unique players was at 52k, there weren't alot of wikis and such.

But i was able to get a chenarus map on my smartphone and with a compass i did a pretty good job of finding my way thanks to the boy scouts.

Mind you im 42 and it all came back to me like it was yesterday.

Then a couple days ago after being a lone wolf for too long i i started looking into the different teamspeak sites and found out about waypoints.

I'm glad i learned the hard way first.

what about you? do you look at the map and compass or a gps baby? (i dont mean that in a mean way, many teens were born after gps was invented)

i found out about this just today :L

Started with the boyscout method

Went over to waypoints

By now I can navigate with neither map nor compass