Sign in to follow this  
LeYuno (DayZ)

looting while prone

It came to me that can't loot dead bodies or piles of stuff without sitting on one knee. I recently started playing the game and I had noticed someone shooting zombies in a town furter up. Suddenly the shooting stopped. I went over there, crawled my way in and noticed the dead survivor on the ground.

I crawled near him, undetected by the zeds. The second i hit G to loot his backpack I notice my character going to a kneeled position, and suddenly all hell breaks loose (ended up dieing a cruel zombie munching death). This way I realised that when you are in middle of town surrounded by zombies there's no chance you can loot while being undetected by the creatures, which is kind of a pitty imho. Being a lone wolf player I prefer staying at a distance and planning out my strategy before going in, remain undetected and sneak out the same way.

I think it would be more realistic if I could loot a guy's body while lying down, so I don't compromise myself when zeds are around.

Good point, good post. I've thought the same myself many times.

Looting seems a bit "hard" to do if you were proning.

Maybe look inside the inventories when you proned, but when you took something, you kneeled.

I'm pretty sure this would be difficult to mod. It also adds tenseness to these situations - rifling through a dead body, turning them over to get to their back pockets, etc, isn't exactly a stealthy action. You have to wait for an opportune moment.

Did you have a handgun or rifle in hand while looting?

I think if you loot with a handgun in hand you raise to a knee, but not with rifles.

I only had a handgun, so that must have been it. Thanks for the tip, so if you have your main gun equiped you can loot while lying down?

Checked it in the editor. When a handgun you rise to a knee, with a rifle you can loot prone.

I think you should be able to grab items off the ground while prone, but when you want to actually loot a corpse you should have to kneel.

I think this thread just highlights the unfortunate way the engine treats pistols compared to other weapons. Atleast they fixed the ladder thing.