Sign in to follow this  
G0V3RNM3NT4L

25 Rules of Combat Operations

25 Rules of Combat Operations for New Players

Lissen up, grunt. I ain't gonna repeat myself.

Rule Number 1

Field experience is something you don't get until after you need it. That's why were here to help. Reading all these might just save your life.

Rule Number 2

Suppresive fires - won't. Only fire if you're actually aiming at something. Shooting a bush that *might* have somebody in it is like putting your toast in something that looks similar to a toaster (but is actually your DVD player).

Rule Number 3

You are not superman. Light machinegunners, take note. That gun you're carrying IS badass, but it's not a riot shield or body armor.

Rule Number 4

If it seems stupid but works, it isn't stupid. Throwing smoke grenades to drop a building on somebody sounds silly, but you'll be the one laughing your ass off while he stares at the "you are dead" screen.

Rule Number 5

Try to look unimportant. The enemy may be low on ammo and not willing to waste a bullet on you. That means leave ghillies alone, for the most part, and don't carry the largest packs. Always carry your best gun though.

Rule Number 6

If your attack is going well, it's an ambush. Seriously. Finding a car fully repaired on the road sounds awesome, but there's most likely a squad ready to ambush you nearby. Also watch for obvious traps like rare weapons in the open or random flares.

Rule Number 7

Five second fuses burn three seconds. You might think you can throw the grenade a little short and get out of the way, but remember that the blast radius is one foot greater then how far you can jump. Grenades are amazing, and deadly if handled properly. But when the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not a friend.

Rule Number 8

A retreating enemy is probably just falling back and regrouping. As a rule of thumb, only pursue if the enemy is 100m or closer. Never follow them where you can't see from your current position. Also, a running enemy isn't as much of a threat as a brave one. Take out the people staying before running after that one person.

Rule Number 9

Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. This is it in it's barest form, another person is always handy. They can patch you up, deal with more zeds, and generally give the enemy somebody else to shoot at.

Rule Number 10

Never draw fire. It irritates everybody around you.

Rule Number 11

When you have killed an enemy, make sure they know it too. Don't assume they're dead. Unload the rest of your clip into them. Anything worth shooting at once is worth using an entire magazine on. Trust me, finding ammo is much easier than starting over.

Rule Number 12

If the enemy are within range; so are you. You might assume you have the advantage of range (snipers take note), but that guy you just shot at might have a buddy with the same gun as you do looking for you.

Rule Number 13

Thirteen is unlucky. Seriously. Avoid it.

Rule Number 14

Anything you do can get you killed, including nothing. Stay on the move, but stay hidden. Moving quickly is bad, but so is staying in one spot.

Rule Number 15

Make it too tough for the enemy to get in, and you won't be able to get out. Always leave two entrances to everything. Avoid churches for this reason: enemies can bottleneck. Also, fortify your front and you'll get your rear shot up. Just cause life's a bitch.

Rule Number 16

Weather ain't neutral. It is out to get you, and your buddies. Don't go out when it rains. At the very least, sit in a car. Being cold is not only annoying, but deadly.

Rule Number 17

The cavalry doesn't always come to the rescue. Always act as if you're alone and if you get injured you're screwed, instead of relying on buddies to patch you up after running into a bandit's LMG.

Rule Number 18

Killing for peace is like screwing for virginity. Sure, SoS sounds wonderful, but it's not. Actually help somebody every once in a while, but never lower your guard.

Rule Number 19

Never stand when you can crouch; never crouch when you can lie down. Should be self evident. Also, don't stop moving, even when surveying.

Rule Number 20

Exceptions prove the rule, and destroy the battle plan. Don't expect a guy with a Makarov to be a noob. It could be a player with heightened abilities that will zero in on you instantly and kill you before you can react. Treat everybody as if they are carrying debug uber-cannons.

Rule Number 21

Trust is for fools. Never trust anybody. Help them, sure, but never turn your back on them. Split up the moment you get the chance. And NEVER, EVER, loot buildings with them. They might envy the NV goggles you just found.

Rule Number 22

The complexity of a weapon is inversely proportional to the IQ of the weapon's operator. Don't assume a weapon is bad because you don't know how to use it. I can use a crossbow up to 100m, but I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn using the M24. Also, the SVD doesn't suck.

Rule Number 23

Friendly fire - isn't. Trust me. No matter how good your timing is, your round will always hit your buddy. Don't fire if he's in front of you.

Rule Number 24

Odd objects attract fire - never lurk behind one. People will be very jumpy around buildings. Don't ever attempt camping or ambushing around one. Your best bet is setting up in a well-known tree route where people lower their guard considerably.

Rule Number 25

If only one solution can be found for a field problem, then it is usually a stupid solution. Seriously. Always have two plans of action.

From the Author:

If you don't read this, don't say TL;DR. Any and all my wisdom is wasted on somebody who wants to be "cute".

If you read this, good job! You've made it worth writing. Now, you can follow these as a template or take them with a grain of salt. This is Day Z. This is your story.

This took an hour, and is loosely based around Murphy's Laws of Combat Operations, although I did make these a little more serious and applicable to Day Z.

And remember:

This is Day Z

This is your Story

• Like 29

@mythTECH, the one in the new players forum was an accidental post. I'm sorry I've offended you.

I will disagree on the suppressing fire point, though. Nothing makes people think twice about sticking their heads up quite like incoming bullets. From the way you word it, you seem to be talking about some sort of probing fire, which is a completely different animal, used for exploring a suspicious piece of concealment with bullets. Suppressing fire is used when you know the location of the target, and is a very very effective modern military tactic.

Say, for instance my friend and I are being engaged by a rifleman on a tower with cover. I would lay down continuous suppressive fire onto the tower to stop the target from seeing or firing on my partner as he flanks the position to a point where he can get a clear shot. If the target wants to stick up his head while under suppressive fire, he is more than welcome to do so while my suppressive fire quickly becomes direct fire and he starts catching bullets.

I just wish more people took the forethough to format stuff like this. I get tired of staring at massive walls of text. But that's just me tooting my own horn a bit.

I just wish more people took the forethough to format stuff like this. I get tired of staring at massive walls of text. But that's just me tooting my own horn a bit.

No your 100% right. A good deal of the posts that have some good content in them are structured like a huge brain fart.

Edited by Alfwich

Rule #5 doesn't come into play in DayZ, given the relative cheapness of bullets, and the fact that everyone is worth shooting to add to the murder count. Other than that, good list of rules I've always stuck to.

Lived 3 weeks before a glitch...currently making my way to Sobor very slowly.

Rule #5 doesn't come into play in DayZ, given the relative cheapness of bullets, and the fact that everyone is worth shooting to add to the murder count. Other than that, good list of rules I've always stuck to.

Lived 3 weeks before a glitch...currently making my way to Sobor very slowly.

When you say slowly, do you mean your legs are broken? XP