Strategos (DayZ)

My Good Suggestions List and discussion.

THE GOOD

Now there are some ideas that have been suggested that I really like and I think will make the game better. These things increase the human element, increase the realism and in some ways the difficulty. These haven't all be suggested by me, and some are apparently going in anyway, I'll update those as they happen.

Great news about the standalone being announced. These suggestions apply both to the mod and the standalone at this stage , until we get to a public build of the new game.

1: Removing global chat (IN on good servers anyway). I'd also like to see whisper, talk and shout modes the latter two which would up the range of your voice but also risk alerting infected. Also more hand signals, someone also suggested a whistle which I quite liked. Direct chat needs to be very reliable and there need to be quick clear ways of signalling. Death comes fast in Dayz to help reduce KOS communication has to be unequivocally clear.

2: Radios. To allow long range communication, radios, walkie talkies. Here's a thread on it

http://dayzmod.com/f...walkie-talkies/

3: Exposure. Weather , warmth / cold survival elements. IN and improving with each patch by the looks of it.

4: Player journals. I love extra human element this will add. Id like them to just be something you can read on a corpse and not take with you. Here's the thread http://dayzmod.com/f...ge__hl__journal . Support this idea!

5: Occasional (VERY rare) zombie wanderers in the wilds. Not enough to make the wilderness stressful, just enough to make sure you couldn't feel totally safe. (Later suggestion 21 addresses this better I think). Or possibly the odd bear or wolf http://dayzmod.com/f...ars-and-wolfes/

6: Better hunting, wild animals that spook and are harder to kill. Also zombies killing animals. I'd like the feeling of a ravaged eco system you would get from seeing scared animals. And also seeing the Zs chasing down and eating livestock etc. That could at times also provide a valuable distraction...

http://dayzmod.com/f...re-challenging/

7: Possibly a more involved crafting cooking system. Foraging, cooking recipes. The hatchet is a start towards this sort of thing I think. Still not 100% on this one, seen alot of threads about foraging, fishing and farming. All ideas that have potential.

8: Daynight cycle 1.5 x speed. So you get more variety, might stop servers cheating and resetting server time. And allow players to experience both day and night if they can play only at certain times. Don't get me wrong I love night time!

However I read a post by Rocket that said that this isn't possible currently. An alternative I came up with is locking CD keys to a timezone : http://dayzmod.com/f...synced-to-time/

I'm re-assessing this problem and also think that removing NVG / Thermal from the game would improve the game. The nigh-time gameplay dynamic is great, the light versus risk problem. But NVG and thermal really ruin this. I know this is a divisive issue but think the game would be better for it and people would be less worried about playing at night because the playing field was a bit more even.

9: checking / refilling magazines. Please god! An inventory filled with clips with 2 bullets in is a killers! IN! Checking is in and at least some ammo types can be converted. A nice start.

10: Less predictable loot locations. The loot zoning is ok. But having the best loot spawn in the same place in the same building every time is too predictable for my liking. Possibly less predictable vehicle locations as well to prevent out of game maps plotting the spawns.

11: Repairable refuel able emergency generators. I wasn't sure about this idea but think it could work. I'd prefer to see smaller generators rather than full power stations myself so that teams could light up small areas. Could tie in with the radios idea as well. Here's the thread. hhttp://dayzmod.com/f...enerators-v-33/

12: Remove radar from helicopters. To stop people being able to hoover up all the vehicles as soon as they have a chopper. DONE!

13: Camo netting. I'm sure this had been suggested before. But some camo webbing to hide vehicles would be fantastic!

14: Traps (already on the way apparently). Beartraps are in but horribly bugged.

15: Non lethal weapons. Something to incapacitate people and rob them without killing them. Tranq darts etc would be nice. One shot = slower movement blurry vision etc. Two shots = slow down until you pass out. The gun could be a slow loading one shot weapon so there is no one hit kill mechanic introduced with these weapons. More options for people is a good thing.

16: Shooting people damaging equipment. Discussion thread here http://dayzmod.com/f...age-by-gunfire/

17: Throwing anim quicker or not stop you moving. Smoke grenades for instance are a life saver, or should be right now you stand and get mauled before you can get the smoke away.

18: Curious Z's. Loud sounds outside their agro range draw zeds to wander roughly in that direction. So a grenade blast in the distance, a sniper shot a car. If not close enough to draw direct agro causes them to gravitate. See no 21 for an extension of this.

19: Sprains. Small falls instead of shattering your legs cause sprains that stop you running but not walking. Painkillers cure the sprain. Zombies can be more likely to do this than break your legs as well. (1.72. will reduce zombie legs breaks which is a nice start).

20: This ground mist on occasion for added spookiness. http://dayzmod.com/f...136-heavy-mist/ looks very atmospheric.

21: Zombies spawning much further from players. Might be possible with 1.7.2 optimisations and in standalone certainly. Here is a more in depth reasoning http://dayzmod.com/f...ns-and-zombies/

22: Less ammo , military weapons. Combined with fixing the ammo bug (below). I still think the good weapons should be in the game just much much rarer. Along with ammo in general. I like the thrill of finding something good. But as it stands it's way too easy to find military hardware. Remove military spawns from all civilian places. Lower the spawn rates in all others including deerstands. Primary source should be crashed choppers I think, but even then much rarer. This has been suggested in many places and is an important step to making Dayz less KOS and more about survival.

http://dayzmod.com/f...tality-of-dayz/

THE BAD

Ok instead of repeating myself in lots of different places I thought I'd just write my thoughts on Gameplay etc in one place, then you can all tear it to shreds lol.

1st: The first thing that makes Dayz great is the human element. The interactions that occur between players. These interactions are defined by fear, mistrust and uncertainty.

2nd : The second thing that makes Dayz great is the realism, and the difficulty. Everything is difficult in this game. This makes the reward all the greater.

People keep suggesting mechanics, like Safe Zones. Spawn on friends. Factions. No friendly fire. Easier Vehicles, more powerful Makarov, building safe houses,etc. No no! Missing the point! DONT MAKE IT EASIER!

Sometimes the game can be frustrating but making it easier, making these things more convenient will kill what makes the game so compelling. When I've achieved something I hate dying, but when I re-spawn I learn from my mistakes and am driven to not make them again.

People also keep suggesting skill systems. But I don't think acquiring skills as a game mechanic is the way to go in Dayz. It's what you find and what YOU do with it. You can approach problems in the game in a real world way, you can navigate without a compass. And the more you play the better you get. You are developing the skills yourself. Its frustrating enough losing all the gear you've found without losing the ability to do things within the game.

I also often see a desire for human NPCs. But WE are the survivors :)

People keep suggesting sanity meters etc. Another thing this game really doesn't need. I don't need my character to shake any more or the screen to blur (happens enough when i'm hurt and cold) , or hallucinations. When the game scares me i'm scared! Probably more so than any other game I've ever played. I've been scared by rabbits, by my own shadow, by bushes, by other players even occasionally by zombies :P Artificially trying to tell me that im scared just isn't necessary.

THE UGLY (bugs)

Obviously there are plenty of bugs / issues in the game, as the mod is being developed in conjunction with the standalone I will leave these here:

pistols not holstering,

losing gear in the sea - FEATURE not bug :)

Backpacks eating gear.

Zombies coming through walls / doors. (Coming Soon!)

Zombies following you literally forever even when you get miles from them. (FIXED)

Amusingly Zombies are too easy to escape now :)

Zombies hearing / seeing you through walls (FIXED)

Player names showing up through buildings etc so you can see where people are on non hardcore mode.

Bleeding icon out not obvious enough.

Logging out cheat. (5 second logout timer added then removed for technical reasons, and coming back again soon ?).

Tents not placeable / nearly impossible but not quite. (FIXED!)

Tents / vehicles losing stored loot on server restarts. (DEF NOT FIXED!) But id rather this than duplication.

Swapping guns on floor losing dropped gun.

Crawling up stairs killing you or breaking your legs.

HACKING - getting incredibly common. (FIXED apparently! or not....)

Vehicles biting you. Sometimes when you stand close to one it suddenly hurts you, even breaks your bones.

Slight slopes and objects making you stand up!

Rearming at vehicles/ tents can delete your primary weapon!

Tent pitching can end in many tents appearing.

Zombies still attacking through walls.

No storage total display for tents / vehicles.

Regenerating Ammo! (Fix on the way).

Temp Duplication! My major gripe atm. Infinite gear is really ruining things right now.

Bear trap bugs. Invisible beartraps and despawning with server shut down.

But this game is in ALPHA if I was developing that game I would be well aware of these problem already and planning to fix them so I'm sure Rocket is.

Everyone should also have a good read of this thread: http://dayzmod.com/f...ed-updated-722/

Get an idea of Rockets vision, what he will and wont do.

Edited by Strategos
  • Like 3

Very good points, highlights key problems for the game

I hope the next update is about fixes and not new additions.

Love the suggestions, and I totally agree that the difficulty is a big big part in what makes this game so fun. I feel so good when I can stay alive. Especially when I encounter a situation which I had handled wrong and died, and since I am aware that I handled it wrong I can go about that same kind of situation and I usually live. It's all about baby steps, for me at least, each life I get better, stronger, faster, smarter. Each life I live a little longer and the longer I can live, the more beans I get to eat.

All key problems were added, great post. I assume that the bug fixes should be a priority over the new features.

Yeah Bug fixes are a priority for the development cycle but obviously this is a suggestions forum for new ideas.

THE UGLY (bugs)

losing gear in the sea.

Is this actually a bug or intentional feature? I could explain losing of the gear. The character gets tired because of the heavy gear he's carrying, so he starts dropping more and more gear in order to avoid tiring so fast. I might be wrong, but I always thought of it like this :huh:

Yeah I thought of it a bit like that myself.

But its pretty random. I've been for a quick dip and lost nearly everything I own , and for a long swim and lost nothing. I like a bit more consistency from my features! :)

1: Removing global chat (Happening).- I like the idea, still need direct communication to work though so I'm a bit upset, and sometimes running in the forest the only thing to do is chat.

2: Radios. - If #1 happens this will be the thing to unlock chat i hope, i don't want assholes spamming over the radio

3: Exposure. Weather , warmth / cold survival elements. They are already in, they just need tuning a bit to make it more realistic.

4: Player journals. -Sure, why not I wouldn't mind someone taking a journal off my dead body and reading of my exploits.

5: Occasional (VERY rare) zombie wanderers in the wilds. -Meh. No strong feeling either

6: Better hunting, wild animals that spook and are harder to kill. -I'm fine with the way it is right now, Bears/wolves might be cool though.

7: Possibly a more involved crafting cooking system. - I don't really like this as it just adds a layer of complexity that doesn't need to be there.

8: Daynight cycle 1.5 x speed- It's supposed to be realistic, changing this would take away from the realism

9: checking / refilling magazines- I fully agree this needs to happen, along with saving the current amount of ammo when you log out.

10: Less predictable loot locations- I think that finding items based on where you are is completely fine. maybe switch up the industrial/residential loot a bit but do not chance the military loot spawns.

Don't forget that Tents and Vehicles do not have working storage. This is a huge reason I can't seriously get into this game.

Our tents seem to be storing ok. Trying not to get obsessed with bugs as this is the suggestions forum. Ill check the bug forum and add it.

Added power station idea to my good ideas list I think it could work. Without detracting from the game as long as its toned down to be something smaller :)

Why thanks LeYuno. I'm mulling over cannibalism at the moment. I'm undecided on it but have a feeling that it fits with the whole DayZ Idium. Might go and read the thread again...

Edit , Rocket vetoed cannibalism because the Australians cant handle it. Or something lol

Seems like a load of stuff was lost to the forum hack, adjusted list and added , removing helicopter vehicle radar. Cant find the thread about it though assume its gone into cyberspace.

Great list here :P

Here are a couple of possible extensions that I haven't seen in other suggestions thus far:

How about zombie animals? Also companion pets? Dogs, Cats etc. could follow you around and get turned if taken by a zombie. The dog whilst being able to protect you from attacks could be a good source of food as an emergency. Cats could hunt down small animals like birds and rabbits for food?

Spawns should be in houses I think, there are houses with loot in which could be your spawn - and if you are lucky you spawn with amazing loot or you get less than favourable loot and the possibility to spawn in a town or a solemn house in the middle of nowhere.

Adding melee weapons would be nice and an added mechanic could be:

Spawning with no gun - start with a melee weapon such as a knife because lets face it the majority of people aren't gonna have guns in their house

Great post, OP. I couldn't believe my eyes (Especially after you linked your thread in another ;) ) that this wasn't some mindless tard asking to oversimplify the game. Good job. 5/5

Agree with all but one: Safezones.

It should be possible to fortify an area and prevent zeds from spawning. With a lot of effort and teamwork, of course, and vulnerability to humans. It's not "carebear", it's a human area, with it's risks. But a bit os sandbox society.

Could you add the electricity grid http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=6791&page=2

I did add some electricity stuff previously and linked to that very same thread. Though I myself prefer something a little less dramatic that a whole grid. i think its a bit unrealistic to get a whole power station up and running.

Im not sure about the whole safe zone thing either,but then this forum is for discussion, I never expected everyone to agree with me :)

Anything that makes the game easier bothers me, and lets face it people CAN already fortify and area and stop Z's. If you choose a building get inside and block the doors with sandbags and wire, you are in a place with no Z`s. Hopefully soon they wont come through walls making it much more viable to hold a building.

Well, for a fortified area, I had the idea of combining several threads.

Like, if you clear an area of zeds, place barricades, sandbags, barbed wire and stuff, and also provide electricity, zeds wouldn't be able to spawn inside the "safe" area, near players, but would be attracted from outside by the noise of machinery.

I'd love castles to be possible to fortify, feed with electricity, and no zed stupidly spawning from nowhere behind.

Bandits would be able to prevent people from going in, thterefor no fuel to feed the electricity network, and zeds respawning inside. Something like that.

I'm not so much for the zombie animals, I kind of like the fact that animals are unaffected, so you can hunt them for food. Id like to see more ecosystem for the animals. Zombies eating them, and animals running from you. As well as some dangerous animals that will attack you.

I did read somewhere that Rocket was talking about adding dog companions for players. Not sure about that myself.....

(And thanks Eagle)

Could you add the rampant zed mobs with preset random paths that go from town to town, going through woods and plains idea to the list? I think it's pretty popular these days.