Sign in to follow this  
MikeTupper

Chernarus express

Everyone has seen the railroad tracks, how cool would it be if an actual train would come by once in awhile. I know what you're thinking: "But this is the zombie apocalypse, who's operating that train?". Well, to my knowledge, those tracks start and end at different ends of the map, suggesting that it goes farther. There's an actual railroad in russia that goes from moscow to vladivostok in the far east. What if that track goes through chernarus? It starts in moscow, where we can suggest the zombie apocalypse hasn't reached yet. When it comes through chernarus, you could hitch a ride on the side of a car to travel from cherno to, say, berezino, or wherever you feel that the train is passing through. Or it could actually be operated by zombies, which would be terrifying.

Seen threads discussing the idea of fixing up power plants, using electricity, and ultimately suggestions have led towards powering up/fixing a train.

An AI train though? Surely all the survivors wanna go to moscow where its safe not jump off back into the apocalypse. Not to mention that thing would be a bullet magnet once peeps start figuring out its mechanics and cycles.

Or it could actually be operated by zombies, which would be terrifying.

.. Im sure the Rocket Vanguard will be eagerly sharpening their tongues right about now.

actually they'd be heading to vladivostok, where let's pretend there are zombies there

XD i do like the idea of trains, i just dont like any AI elements beyond animals and zeds.

Itd be cool if it were there were trains that could be fixed/operated.

I started a thread about coal mines http://dayzmod.com/f...ds/#entry313538 which was spun off another thread on electricity grids, seeing it as a less efficient energy source for smaller groups looking to establish an area on a server which is more dominated by larger clans (ie using the more efficient energy sources)

But as I posted ze thread, started discussing the idea with someone of using the coal on a train too, which could be positioned in a town train station near by.

Regardless, i think any extra features developed in this game have to be NPC redundant, and focused on player/group activities/operations/constructions.

Edited by 3rdParty

Well the train wouldn't have any AI, it'd just run through chernarus and you'd have to grab onto it

:S sooo the train is moving continuously, without an "in game" driver, AI or not. Without refueling, or making pit stops?

noooo sorry, seeing as its a game based around surviving, trying to jump onto a moving train sounds more dangerous the jumping off one.

they dont have to move fast to crush you :S

id like to see someone say they can stop a cargo train moving at ANY speed its travelling.

Edited by 3rdParty

no, no, no, you could grab onto it AS its moving. it dosent stop

and break a limb in the process! atm you can break a limb getting into a tent and even turning around in a corridor. Not saying that these are not obviously bugs that need fixing, the point is this game kinda strives for realism and jumping on a moving train is fucking dangerous.

Why is the train constantly moving?

Why dont peeps ride it all the way out the map to safety?

Whats to stop setting up camp on a train and killing off peeps who jump on?

How fast is it actually going that you can safely jump onto it, that you cant run the distance yourself, seeing as train lines have limitations when it comes to directions?

I just feel any kind of large scale activity outside of hordes of zombies has to be purely player driven and created.

I really like the idea of a train, basically only for the fact that it'd be a pvp hotspot. I'd really enjoy trying to basically play "King of the Hill" and stay on the train as long as I can before someone ends up killing me and taking over! Plus, it could be used as a fast mode of transport for those who dared venture onto it!

I don't think AI trains, or trains at all would really work I mean, let's get our priorities right, zombie invasion happens who the hell thinks "Crap! i'd better go operate the train for everyone for the rest of time!". However, whats the name of those small platforms that run on a track when 2 people alternate pushing down on a lever? Now THEY would be a good idea.

i would sit in the train with a gun and kill whoever enters! it would kinda be cool if you could find crashed trains that drop medium value loot. It would be like a crashed heli but not as good.

I don't think AI trains, or trains at all would really work I mean, let's get our priorities right, zombie invasion happens who the hell thinks "Crap! i'd better go operate the train for everyone for the rest of time!". However, whats the name of those small platforms that run on a track when 2 people alternate pushing down on a lever? Now THEY would be a good idea.

yeeea I remember seeing a thread about that, that would be cool. But tbh I think if that was done it would be the basics features to a more advanced take over.

I know what ye are saying, theres plenty of suggestions which are no where near your first thought as apocalyptic survivor. But I always think of this game from a point of view that its building towards enabling organised groups being able to settle on the server. If this was gonna work effectively, it would require a multitude of ways of interacting with the environment and would also require enough tasks/objectives ranging in complexity to satisfy solesurvivors/lonewolves to small groups to large organised clans.

Trains could easily be one of these.

you know peeps will start leaving tank traps on the rails though XD

+1 good idea, but it needs to be like a neutral zone that forces players to disarm.

:S Dunno about that, theres already enough discussions from peeps wanting to shoot from vehicles. Can you imagine the first person glares that would occur on that train, when a PvP chasing scenario takes a route via the railway?

Just feels out of place that in an apocalyptic world, theres still a 24/7 free railway service?

Edit: There isnt even one now!!

+1 for groups taking control of trains/railway lines.

Edited by 3rdParty

I would love to see a derailed train spawn in (like a downed chopper) with loads of rare vehicle parts loot (as opposed the the military loot in choppers). or maybe food carts with enough cans and tins to fill your groups packs.

We we're talking about this the other day. But the train would never despawn. Nice little pvp area.