Sign in to follow this  
ivan keska

Surviving long = benefits

This is something i thought of well playing, that is why can't there be some benfits to surviving for some time. For example how fast you can steady you aim after running why not have that time it takes slowly decrease to a point as time goes on, or a smaller increase in time before you need to eat or drink again, or quiter steps.

Because as time goes on you will become better at thing, for example the gun you'll become better and better at controlling you breathing and steadying your aim, food you will become more use to surviving on less food and drink thus have a higher tolerence to going without either, and your learn to control your steps better and thus preduce less sound.

I bring this up because it is realistic and would be nice to have. Also the effect would be very minor so for them to give a really good advantage you'd have to survive for some time. Plus it would help give a reason to living long

• Like 4

but isn't the general consensus of this that the longer you survive the better you are ? to me this seems like a way to just make the good players better and make them harder for new spawns. its a subtle progression system in my opinion :-/

In an ideal world this would work. However unless I am wrong (feel free to correct me) this feature is not in Arma2 and thus not in DayZ. Bringing this in right now would take a lot of time and effort. I would resubmit this idea further down the road. Maybe when it is being developed as a standalone game. It's not a bad idea though.

i think the reason rockets not adding skills is because everything is real life skills, the benefits of living longer is more gear... knowing your surroundings... best places to loot etc etc. if you want to add more benefits think of things that dont 'level up' your character.

ie, i posted the implementation of body armour, or creating cures that take time... meaning you have stay alive for a period of time to achieve the cures your making.

Edited by produno

dude, i'm already pretty attached to me character. I would be devastated if i lost a character with advantages! Nice idea though :)

There is a benefit to your surviving longer. You get better as a person; your character doesn't change at all, but you're skills as a player become more refined and enhanced.

but isn't the general consensus of this that the longer you survive the better you are ? to me this seems like a way to just make the good players better and make them harder for new spawns. its a subtle progression system in my opinion :-/

Surviving is more about luck than skill. Many times one of my friends took a round and died, only for me to be spared. Or like one time, a friend logged into a server with one person on it. 2 minutes later, he rounded a corner at an industrial park at the coast and found the only guy on the server and promptly killed him.

Luck. Sometimes it is good, sometimes bad. I had a player miss me with an M203, but the sound sent me running. He, or a friend of his, started to fire .50 rounds at me and missed every shot. I could have taken 1 round and died, but instead that player wasted 20 rounds and never touched me. My longest life was 19 days, and I died from a newbie in my group making a mistake and firing at a larger, unknown and wellprepared group after I told him countless times NOT TO FIRE. He gave away our position and we were flanked. I died.

But about benefits for surviving? I could support something like that. But does it make sense? I can't walk more quietly just because I lived a few extra days. I can't steady a gun better just because I've been alive longer. That comes from getting used to the weapon, it's recoil and wieght and what to expect from it. A guy who is used to using Shotguns and hatchets won't instantly be better with .50 rifles and LMG/MMGs just because he breathed oxygen longer than me. So an idea like this would need to be expanded on, but I do like where the idea can head.

Also, the improvements would need to be small, nothing like 50% better for being alive for a week.

Edited by Zeromentor

I can't steady a gun better just because I've been alive longer. That comes from getting used to the weapon, it's recoil and wieght and what to expect from it. A guy who is used to using Shotguns and hatchets won't instantly be better with .50 rifles and LMG/MMGs just because he breathed oxygen longer than me. So an idea like this would need to be expanded on, but I do like where the idea can head.

Also, the improvements would need to be small, nothing like 50% better for being alive for a week.

But from what you said about learning gun recoil etc...rather than it being a game feature surely that is something learned from you the player as you become more experienced in using the weapons and you grow as a person playing the character, thats real progression you don;t need skills or perks in game to understand and learn these things without more complex coding.

You should feel worse if your character dies then we do now.Rocket said he is gonna try to make it harsher to lose your life later on in development.

I'm of the opinion that things should be getting harder for you the longer that you survive.

For one - you will not be getting all of the nutrients of a proper, healthy, varied diet - so you would get weaker and weaker as the days go by - even if you are eating regularly (you can starve to death from eating nothing but rabbit meat for instance - true fact);

Also, you will be unwashed - so the longer you go on surviving - the more ripe your smell; the easier it will be for zombies to detect you. eg;