Sign in to follow this  
Scourge79

Too many locked/passworded servers

I've been playing DayZ a while now, and yes, I know its buggy as hell and subject to frequent beta patch updates and whatnot, but I'm getting f***ing sick and tired of half the server list being unusable because theyre out of date. Then of those I *can* access, half of those being either locked or password protected.

I cant be the only one that wants to find these server admins and kick the living s**t out of them?

Im sure I read somewhere that servers arent allowed to be locked out like this. Why is it being allowed?

• Like 3

i know what you mean, there is not enough policing, due to the fact that dayz grows so fast, we get new servers and players everyday, so its kinda hard to take actions. if you keep refreshing the dayz site you will see cheater reports pop up every 10 minutes. its just out of control

Complete and utter lack of server regulation both on how the admins act abuse wise and what hardware they are running for the slot allocation they're advertising. Hence a lot of servers being desynchy shit piles and a lot being passworded.

The Dayz dev team is currently in over their heads so any assclown can sign up on the server form and get white listed to own their personal playground.

The only thing you can do is document a server you see doing that and then post in the cheat report forum / server forum to bad mouth them. If anyone even bothers to read it, all it takes is the admin to make a 2 paragraph post trying to sound reasonable and completely denying your claims "we were just testing something, the server crashed it was just a coincidence it happened right as you found our clans camp / vehicle stash!" etc. They'll often change their server name too.

Very few servers get penalised for breaking the rules laid down for server usage. You'll see admins regularly kicking people / closing servers if they die or loose anything from camps / locking servers til they regain items lost or farm areas. There's several servers running with 1 - 10 slots which is against the rules.

The dev team has little if any funding and Rocket seems unwilling to share out responsibilities to other dev team members so he's causing a pretty huge bottleneck considering how small the team is. Couple that with him disappearing off to other countries every week to do interviews it's amazing we even get updates. He probably needs to step back and stop micromanaging everything, but it's hard to find trust able skilled people to help him I guess -- Especially if they're unpaid.

I don't even bother reporting it anymore, it's too hard to actually prove what happened using only un-time stamped screen shots which could have been doctored. And it seems fruitless anyway. Same goes for hackers, they're so plentiful at the moment the cheat abuse section is flooded, you need a server admin to somehow see your report and check their logs or have a video or something and even then it's falling on deaf ears. The way it stands, whoever paid for the server = has the rights to any vehicle on that server. If you find the stash don't bother thinking you'll be able to keep any of it. They'll lock the server until they've found it all again then relocate it to another area.

Frankly, I don't think Rocket really cares. This is a test bed for him and he's more interested in shoving wild features into the game rather than spend all his efforts sorting a lot of the abuse / cheating / duping / game breaking exploits as he figures that stuff will be less rampant once it's standalone.

Edited by itputsthelotion

I won't be surprised if, before long, someone comes out with a mini-HIVE that only works on a single server. Yes it will be a ripoff and essentially seperate the community, but to get away from the problems of DayZ? People will do it. As of right now it's the only fix for the problem of pointless PvP, since players can't combat it and devs won't step in because of an anti-balance fantasy (anyone that looks at the history of DayZ can tell it's not anti-balance, just pro-deathmatch).

So people will do it, rocket will blacklist them from the HIVE, so what? They go on their little world and adventure and we leave them be.

I won't be surprised if, before long, someone comes out with a mini-HIVE that only works on a single server. Yes it will be a ripoff and essentially seperate the community, but to get away from the problems of DayZ? People will do it. As of right now it's the only fix for the problem of pointless PvP, since players can't combat it and devs won't step in because of an anti-balance fantasy (anyone that looks at the history of DayZ can tell it's not anti-balance, just pro-deathmatch).

So people will do it, rocket will blacklist them from the HIVE, so what? They go on their little world and adventure and we leave them be.

There are already private hives, lol...

Edited by Stevenleonk

This is getting worse everyday to be honest.

I can appreciate that alot of the servers are running a different version of the DayZ mod files and OA patch. From what i've read alot of this was to enable the ArmA X users to be able to connect to atleat some servers.

But more enforcing of the rules has to be done. I mean...what is the point of having an Alpha if so many people are running old versions. How can you successfully "test" and Alpha if the variation of versions is so big.

Just about everyone should be made to run the latest mod files and arrowhead patch, otherwise how can people report bugs properly?

Edited by GeordieMarv

Ive reported this stuff before but nowt got done that i know of, so doubt ill bother trying again.

Just lately and its only an observation, there doesn't seem to be any interest in what we are doing or reporting back.

Probably big corporate moves happening and stuff like that.

Whilst i don't want them to hold my hand , but i would like for someone to acknowledge bug reports on the dev site or close some of the not needed or fixed ones or something like activity.

Hopefully dayz is still being developed?

There are already private hives, lol...

Have not been keeping up with that, thanks.

If that's true, then this only further proves my point. I can now join a password protected server that will ban people for mindless shooting, so why wouldn't I? DayZ without the pricks sounds good to me.

You see the mentality there? That's why this is continuing to happen. Right or wrong, it's here, and I have no qualms about it being here to stay since it isn't affecting the main hive.

One of the main reasons servers are being locked down is when they are being updated, and the servers may be unstable upon starting. Then they start with a password to make sure the server isn't overloaded by 50 people trying to connect all in a 1 min interval.

Im not sure if this is what is actually happening, seeing as some of the servers are allways locked, but from my experience this is a way of starting a server up in a more stable way.

Have not been keeping up with that, thanks.

If that's true, then this only further proves my point. I can now join a password protected server that will ban people for mindless shooting, so why wouldn't I? DayZ without the pricks sounds good to me.

You see the mentality there? That's why this is continuing to happen. Right or wrong, it's here, and I have no qualms about it being here to stay since it isn't affecting the main hive.

Cya then and stop posting here about it. You can go post on their "personal" hive forum and hold hands with each other. You clearly disagree with the ideals that its creator of Dayz seems to stand for and you obviously have no qualms in not testing for this Alpha.

So why are you still here demanding the game conform to your personal needs?

One of the main reasons servers are being locked down is when they are being updated, and the servers may be unstable upon starting. Then they start with a password to make sure the server isn't overloaded by 50 people trying to connect all in a 1 min interval.

Im not sure if this is what is actually happening, seeing as some of the servers are allways locked, but from my experience this is a way of starting a server up in a more stable way.

It is a way of starting up with some stability. But in a lot of cases, they're simply locking the server to abuse their admin ability. Either to only let friends into the server in order to farm or get them a slot easily or to recover something they've lost (body / vehicle / relocate a camp). There's servers locked for most of the day...

I've found so many vehicles from camps and had the server restart within minutes of going on a joy ride or the server lock down. I now hide them in obscure places or burn down the entire camp if I find some.

Edited by itputsthelotion

3000+ Servers, join a different one and get over it. If they farm items and join a different server, they have the same chance of losing it/dying as anyone else.

Kill them and quit getting upset, just because they have better gear doesn't mean they have better aim, plus if they have rare gear, odds are they aren't going to run around just fragging players all damn day. They're going to play smart for the most part.

Here is a quote from a server forum:

why is this server randomly locked on certain occasions? we have our tents and stuff on this server and we often cannot get to them because the server is locked.

answer from an admin:

It's using flood protection, if there are 6-7 people in the lobby it will lock. It's to prevent unnecessary load on the server. Just wait a little and it will unlock, usually within a minute.

I can add that I have noticed the program managing the flood protection sometimes failing to unlock the server. I have taken measures to ensure it unlocks now, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by maartins