Sign in to follow this  
zanderflex

Logging in next to other users

I feel there is a dire need of prevention of logging in next to other users. Many times have I logged in next to someone or someone log in next to me. And have been killed before even having control of my player by logging in next to someone. Now I understand why the dev team doesn't roll back player data for issues like this, but people magically appearing next to you is a big deal. It should be possible to search an area for other player ~20m around where a player last was and prevent them from spawning to their position if someone else is occupying the area around it.

Now sure its a bad idea to log out in a commonly stationed area, but things like this even happen out in forests and such. A friend of mine logged out up north while searching for a helicopter but had no success so he went to another server. And when he logged in we saw a group of 3 not 10m away from him, running perpendicular to his location. Now if they would have spotted him or were running toward him it would be a much different story.

Thoughts?

I logged in on a Bandit who was camping on the roof in Rog. I kinda felt bad when I shot him, I felt sad because he never saw me...

But he dropped an AK, so I felt happy again...but then it got lost as I tried to store it so I felt sad again...

But then I found more CZ ammo and was happy =D

Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to code for I bet, and the odds of it happening are much more rare than you believe (though personal experience says otherwise).

I can see that 20m rule bugging out on people now, spawning them in walls or objects. I think you just have to make a risk over benefit assessment about logging out in a area that is usually scoured for loot and surrounded by zombies.

Could use some sort of a fix, but for now don't log off in towns or in buildings where people go to a lot. Usually if server crashes while I'm in a town I find a near empty server to get out.

Once I was on the highest tower in Cherno with another guy when 2 bandits log in right there. After a lot of confusion both bandits end up dead and we got DMR, silenced M4 CCO and 2 NVG :D

We had a problem of people knowing where we were holding up and going there using another server and then spawning in the same building as us.

We had a problem of people knowing where we were holding up and going there using another server and then spawning in the same building as us.

Actually this is a serious issue.

But I want to log in next to the 2/3 buddies I play with.

A 20 meter spawning radius would soon cover the whole map and you would find yourself deep in the Forest of DeBug.

I think something needs to be done.

On a two man loot run to NW I had my team mate watch the only way into the barracks from a nice dark bush. Now a would be bandit would have to get past him to harm me right?

Wrong, some guy spawned in at the end of the hallway, wasted me, hid my body and logged out. :/

This happened to me today as well. Got shot within 5 seconds of connecting. Luckily I had quick reflexes and aborted the connection immediately (just shy of dying). Normally I wouldn't abort and normally I wouldn't log off in a vulnerable place but the server I was on crashed so I picked another.

Its a hard problem to solve. You could make connecting players not take damage for a few seconds after logging on. You could also pop up a proximity warning before the connection is finalized, allowing the player to abort. These could both be exploited however.

Maybe a system that boots you our of lootable spots (buildings) if you log off in a building maybe move you several metres outside of it.

Would stop someone spawning in the room with you or vice versa.

Never logout around buildings but in the woods is my advise.

One time i logged out in the middle of nowhere, when i logged back in i was directly behind 3-4 survivors. As a bandit it was an incredible struggle not to destroy them, but that just wouldnt have been cool.

I did however follow them for about 20 minutes then killed them.

protip: look behind you. Often.

I think I have you all beat.

Three Lifes ago I spawned in, INSIDE of another player. On my screen we both had the same skin, and both had the same side arm out. Took us both about half a second staring at each other to process the situation, and we just lit each other up. We both ended up dead.

I thought I was looking at a bugged clone of myself until he turned around and pointed his gun at me.

Still my all time favorite moment in this game.

But I'm a big fan of the Stargate TV series, so your mileage might vary.