ForcefulCJS

Balance changes due for "high-end" items and more

Final Note: Pine Trees/Bushes, I just thought I should mention these as something to consider for Arma 3. Right now, with just a couple seconds of adjustment any player can sit several feet within the branches of a pine tree or bush and have nearly perfect visibility. This makes hiding/camoflouge in this game very monotonous when hiding in one of these two common plants is your best bet 98% of the time. Right now I can sit in one of these hiding spots and be almost completely invisible unless someone trips over me and still have an excellent view of my surroundings. For Arma 3, make it so that players can't sit in the middle of trees and bushes - covered by several feet of thick foliage - and still have unhindered visibility. This would go a long way to making camping a more risky affair from the current state where the camper will always remain unseen until he takes a shot.

All your other arguments aside, can I just point out how stupid this is?

God forbid someone actually attempt to blend into their surroundings or use camouflage / field craft to stay a little un noticed. You know in real life I can hide in trees and bushes too? The army tries to teach it a fair amount, apparently it lets you get shot at less.

And ghillie suites do not make you overheat. Do you even know what one is? It's a fucking normal jacket / trousers / boiler suit with netting all over it to hold some vegetation / Hessian "potato sack" strips. You can go do barrel roles all day in it and run basically as well as you can in trousers. The only issues with it would be occasionally getting snagged on thorns or twigs. You can ghillie up your backpack / guns / underwear too.

In game ghillie suites actually stand out against a lot of material, but it still does its job well in breaking up the human outline and being a vegetation colour. That being said I've spotted and executed many wookies -- They're not predator

Edited by itputsthelotion
  • Like 1

I'd be in favor of adding the need for batteries for flashlight (veeery slow consumption), NVG and thermal (fast consumption). I'd hate to be hassled with tracking batteries on the inventory, tho, so I'd support it if it were a "stat" system, much like hunger and thirst, ie. you spend it when you use the equipment, and you consume a battery item to replenish it.

OP is using the word game, where the mod creator is using the term anti-game. You want balance, where the mod creator has stated he does not want to create balance. You want fun and fairness where Rocket wants simulation and realism.

Whats realistic about dying from a gunshot to the foot?

Whats realistic about dying from a gunshot to the foot?

go out in the wilderness, with no phone, no first aid or way to heal yourself and shoot yourself in the foot, see how long you live...

A 50.cal sniper rifile will kill you in 1 shot in real life. If I aim at your foot in real life and fire I will probably blow off half of your leg. 50.cal sniper rifles are for vehicles. Actually the according to the Geneva Convention your not even suppose to use it against human targets. The loop hole is that you can say you targeted their equipment. The damage for those rifiles ingame is so high because its taking in account vehicle damage which is what they are designed for. So yea it should kill you in one shot no matter where you hit them. Real world best you can hope for is that you don't bleed out from having half a limb blown off. The other rifles in the game are designed for engaging human targets which is why they dont do as much damage. Simulation vs Game

Its a military simulation or based off of Arma's military simulation style. It does so very very well as someone who is in the military that place the game its spot on in my opinion. If this was another shooter then yea balance is important. The way they are in DayZ is fine because having a 50 cal sniper means you can still die to a guy with a AK at CQC or a lee einfield user.

Hey buddy you wanna meet up and have me shoot you once or twice with a G17 or Makarov in the chest and see if you can hold fire an AK back at me accurately? realism?

Ghillie suit does the same thing it does in the real world camouflage you in woodland areas. You can make a ghillie big enough to cover your equipment(backpack) No problem there since this uses Arma a military SIMULATION engine. Its not over powered or needs a con. Its con is if your running around a Urban area you stick out like a sore thumb just like in real life.

Its thermal it does what its suppose to give you a advantage. Same thing it would do in the real world. Again Simulation vs Game

Keep repeating simulation vs game makes me laugh. This is a game, rocket can choose to make it a hard, cuthroat, unforgiving game but please don't call it a simulation. Unless in a real world setting a sniper never has to go to the bathroom, can hold a 50.cal standing up or barely crouched down and shooting it without blowing his shoulder out. Be able to carry a full set of military gear, heavy guns and equipment solo and be able to sprint for hours on end. Plenty more could be mentioned, some already have been by others, but OP's post is mainly against campers and snipers, and the game atm is very imbalanced when it comes to how powerful a geared sniper is as oppose to how vulnerable they actually are when it comes to the real world.

I'll try to keep this post succinct, some of the rare items need to be adjusted or removed as this game works its way toward beta:

1 - Ghillie Suits) There needs to be some downside for this item. The simplest and most agreeable change is that it removes the player's backpack or at least keeps the player's backpack visible. Right now Ghillie suits make it extremely easy for anyone to become almost invisible at 200m+ and Ghillie+Pine Tree = Easy mode concealment. There's plenty of reasons why everyone wouldn't want to wander around in bush-suits in a real zombie apocalypse yet right now these are the single most important item for surviving long-term against other players. While everyone else derps around with white sleeves that stand out from a long-distance, ghillies give an extreme advantage to those camping the treelines. Further changes could include the chance of "overheating" or "heat stroke" if the player runs long distances while wearing the Ghillie (another reflection of reality). Having the ghillie impair movement or vision are also viable options. All of these are far more realistic and sensible for gameplay than the current Ghillie with an invisible backpack and 0 downsides. It makes most observation, scouting, and recon pointless when you can't see any ghillie snipers until they take their first shot and you're already dead - at least give them some downsides to their loadout.

2 - L85A2 AWS) I think this one speaks for itself. Thermal vision destroys everything else that PvP in DayZ stands for. Slow, deliberate movement - concealment - careful positioning - etc. are all realistic and sensible things to do while trying to stay alive before the L85 was introduced. Now if you're up against an L85 user, the best thing you can do is run like a madman to shake up their 3x scope and pray that they can't line up a shot before you get out of range. I've used the L85 myself and everyone else I've played with agrees that it's utterly broken. I can spot any player outdoors up to the draw distance in just a couple seconds of scanning and hunt them down easier than killing most animals in this game. Going up against an L85 user is absolutely no fun and makes even the most stalwart player consider ragequitting. You are left with 2 unhappy options: Staying concealed and waiting for the inevitable burst of fire to kill you or keep moving and draw attention from other hostile players or the L85 user's squadmates. Advanced military hardware should make limited and sensible appearances in DayZ, a thermal scope is an example of something that just doesn't belong.

3 - NVGs) I think most players agree that night-time would be much more fun without the constant threat of NVG users. Night time provides an extremely interesting trade-off in visibility between flashlights, flares, and chemlights - each providing its own advantages and disadvantages. All that goes out the window once NVG's enter the picture. They have a massive edge over any other option and heavily discourage night-time play for those without NVG's. If you are wandering the map using flashlights, flares, or chemlights for visibility you are literally a massive neon sign saying "FREE KILL" for the first NVG user to find you. There's nothing the "regular player" can do to fight back. Flares offer some defense but they also draw zombies, plus any competent shooter will kill you before you even realize that you're being stalked by an NVG user. I think the night-game would improve dramatically if they just removed NVG's from the game, but an acceptable alternative would be to add rare batteries required to give the NVG's power and make the NVG's consume the batteries at a relatively fast rate. It would actually force NVG users to use other methods of illumination besides several hours of perfect visibility at night and even encourage them to put their neck on the line by going into towns/loot spots for batteries at night instead of just stalking treelines and never needing to expose themselves.

4 - M107 & AS-50) Almost every sniper rifle in the game does 8000 damage. The .50 cals do around 38,000 damage and the NATO round for the AS-50 does over 170,000 damage. I think the CZ-550, M14, DMR, M24, and SVD are all in a great place in terms of balance for sniper rifles. They encourage you to go for headshots, and at least give the victim half a chance to take cover when they get shot - encouraging snipers to be more tactical in their attacks. There is also something extremely important in requiring at least 2 shots to down a victim, since it means that non-headshot kills risk exposing your position with each subsequent shot. Shots to the legs/extremities with most snipers only does around 2.5-3k damage, encouraging you to at least aim for vital organs. Now let's look at the .50 cals, they do such obscene damage, one-shot anywhere will drop your opponent. This is HUGE. You have very little risk of exposing your position with just 1-shot, and there's absolutely 0 chance for your opponent to react against being shot at. Even shooting them in stupid places like the arms and legs will instantly kill your opponent. Again, I understand these are nasty weapons, but I think we can live with a game where a .50 shot to the thigh doesn't instantly knock me out and kill me. Keep the high damage of the anti-material round against vehicles but balance the damage of .50 cals so they aren't such massive noobcannons, the AS-50 is arguably the most out of place since it's actually quieter to players than any most of the smaller sniper rifles. If the DayZ team refuses to tone down the damage so only upper torso/headshots are one-hit, other methods should still be considered. Make the .50 cal sniper rifles slow down player movement considerably and give the weapons a more noticeable muzzle flash and smoke from firing the weapon. Consider making these two weapons take up 15 inventory slots or more when stored in a backpack. The presence of crashed helicopters has made these weapons practically standard-issue for all snipers - there needs to be more of a downside to using these weapons. Like the L85 they don't really fit the setting when everyone north of Starry is running around with a small cannon on their backs.

Final Note: Pine Trees/Bushes, I just thought I should mention these as something to consider for Arma 3. Right now, with just a couple seconds of adjustment any player can sit several feet within the branches of a pine tree or bush and have nearly perfect visibility. This makes hiding/camoflouge in this game very monotonous when hiding in one of these two common plants is your best bet 98% of the time. Right now I can sit in one of these hiding spots and be almost completely invisible unless someone trips over me and still have an excellent view of my surroundings. For Arma 3, make it so that players can't sit in the middle of trees and bushes - covered by several feet of thick foliage - and still have unhindered visibility. This would go a long way to making camping a more risky affair from the current state where the camper will always remain unseen until he takes a shot.

Just to add my own thoughts on the above.

1) Ghillie Suits

I agree these need to have a downside and think having no backpack is a good trade-off but if not then impaired movement and visibility.

2) L85A2 AWS

This weapon is arguably the answer to the issues raised by the Ghillie Suit. If you are going to loot an area and it is a known sniper spot then it makes sense to make sure you have a weapon like this or you group with someone who does. A group with a variety of weapons can use the advantages of each but also help cater for any weaknesses. The guy with the L85 is the spotter responsible for checking for threats, your own sniper on overwatch can then counter the threat leaving you clear to proceed with the looting.

The weapon itself has a massive advantage with the scope but it isnt the best gun by any means but it can give you the edge, especially at night.

3) NVGs

My first game of DayZ was at night-time and I was forced to navigate using my flashlight and any chemlights or flares I could find. It was a great playing experience and I continue to enjoy night-time playing as it gives me the best chance of moving around undetected.

I have no issue at all with NVGs being in the game. In real life if it was pitch black outside, with zombies walking around and you knew there were also bandits with NVGs and L85 thermal scope users you would not venture out, you'd keep your ass indoors and sleep (ie log off) waiting for daylight as it is safer. Do the same in game, if you dont have NVGs or L85 then play on a daytime server and dont venture out into the night unless you do find NVGs.

It is also worth pointing out that the NVGs do not work with all rifles. I have an AS50 and it is useless at night despite having a pair of NVGs.

Batteries are a good idea though.

4)M107 & AS50

I have an AS50 as mentioned above and do not think it needs to be adjusted. It is a huge weapon and carrying it makes you stick out like a sore thumb, especially when on your back. I'd agree that these rifles should take up more backpack space though to give you a trade-off. As mentioned above the AS50 is useless at night though so it isnt all Ghillied snipers hiding in the dark with NVGs and AS50s.

5) Pine Trees/Bushes

I agree there should be reduced visibility if hiding in these although I havent noticed a problem with this myself at all.

Edited by TheCorinthian

OP is using the word game, where the mod creator is using the term anti-game. You want balance, where the mod creator has stated he does not want to create balance. You want fun and fairness where Rocket wants simulation and realism.

explain how nvgs(and thermals) with infinite batteries and 50. cals are realistic in a ruined russian region?

Edited by Orthus

Lol at this thread.Trust me OP , getting shot with a 50 caliber gun would kill you instant.

• Like 1

Lol at this thread.Trust me OP , getting shot with a 50 caliber gun would kill you instant.

Ya but 2 shots from M4 to the chest you can still shoot back amrite?

Stop trying to piss of others who like other playstyles then you do.

Sorry you ask for changes so YOUR way of playing the game is more fun for you, but heck it cuts down some fun for others.

L85s are great till some point, you only have to know how you can limit even the thermal view of that.

The ghillie? Heck i can make you one in less then an hour and couver even your backpack with it, running through a town with it, best way to show yourself. And sorry there is for now NOT a single confirmed loot of one as of version 1.7.2.3, only ones found so far in tents, vehicles or on dead guys, so they seem to be realy rare at the moment and hard to get.

NVG´s, i have one around, not hard to get some and sorry if you like to play in pitch black night, do so, i did it for a long time and did not get shot, maybe you stop running into hotspots?

.50cal OP? Heck that thing is the best tool to get these alt+f4 guys, they do not get a chance to leave, but i can do that shit with a lee enfield, makes it a bit harder but the end is clear, you are dead one way or the other.

And like some wrote, all things allready have downs, for now there is only one sniper that can be used with NVG´s and one that has night vision, limits the count a lot. L85s are also gone down, i know enough who lost there L85 after the patch, did cost us a lot of time to find one again for our group, most used to find snipers to guard our looter in a town.

The problem in this game are guys that can not deal with how the world is, it is broken, some are smarter and stay, other do not have luck and die.

I do not like to talk about some that think shooting a fresh spawned guy is worth the bullet, for me that makes no sence at all.

What realy is a problem in this game are players crying about getting shot, well i have seen so much stupid guys out there, firing an automatic rifle near a town, only by watching a bit he could have known there must be someone in that town (he was more then 300 meters away from it and a lot of zeds were allready spawned in it) and then he got shot. He did not think about what he is doing and payed for it, that is dayz.

Sure at some point you take a risk and you get shot, but it is you who was the one taking it and payed for it. If i go to Cherno or Elektro, NWAF or Stary i know what risk i take, if i get shot by a sniper or what ever, i made that call and that is not a problem of the gear others have, it is me taking a risk and not have the luck i needet.

Complaining about items and gear is nothing new and is like a red line going you can find in most games having such things, you will never get it the way ALL are happy with, someone will come up and blame the stuff that makes his way of playing harder and from his point for others much too easy.

I think, if you can not stand the way how it is, do not play it, complain about something and try to force others to go your way and how you like to play is nothing more then selfish and changes nothing for the game in total.

Edited by WorkingOnIt

very long post about "balance"

Is life balanced? Nope. Is a thermal scope unfair? Definitely. Is DayZ a "fair" game? Nope. Should it be? Definitely not.

TLDR:

Life's not fair and DayZ shouldn't be either.

Edited by Lobo

Hey. Hey buddy. My cousin has a friend who was in the army. He got shot IN HIS FOOT by a 50. cal. and guess what? It blew of his entire lower leg almost to his knee.

My cousin has a friend who says this never happened.

Is life balanced? Nope. Is a thermal scope unfair? Definitely. Is DayZ a "fair" game? Nope. Should it be? Definitely not.

TLDR:

Life's not fair and DayZ shouldn't be either.

True dat!

We demand realism, not balance!

Now let me put this main rotor assembly for a helicopter in my backback...

lol

Hey buddy you wanna meet up and have me shoot you once or twice with a G17 or Makarov in the chest and see if you can hold fire an AK back at me accurately? realism?

Yea sure shoot me in the foot. Your not blowing off half of my leg. Can you read? OP is saying that 50.cals need to be balanced because they 1 shot kill. Its realistic Certain things about this game actually alot of things go for a realistic approach like Arma. The weapons is one of those things that is somewhat realistic. Its not a situation where 1 thing is realistic so the whole game has to be.

Keep repeating simulation vs game makes me laugh. This is a game, rocket can choose to make it a hard, cuthroat, unforgiving game but please don't call it a simulation. Unless in a real world setting a sniper never has to go to the bathroom, can hold a 50.cal standing up or barely crouched down and shooting it without blowing his shoulder out. Be able to carry a full set of military gear, heavy guns and equipment solo and be able to sprint for hours on end. Plenty more could be mentioned, some already have been by others, but OP's post is mainly against campers and snipers, and the game atm is very imbalanced when it comes to how powerful a geared sniper is as oppose to how vulnerable they actually are when it comes to the real world.

Your dumb! I know zombies aren't realistic just as much as you. The engine is based on realism. Arma who MO is its the most realistic Military shooter on the market. That is what its all about. DayZ is built on that.

Its not a virus or some shit. Its not like there are Zombies so I should be Veronica from Resident Evil with special powers.

Certain parts strive for a realistic approach. Like the Weapons.

I'll try to keep this post succinct, some of the rare items need to be adjusted or removed as this game works its way toward beta:

1 - Ghillie Suits) There needs to be some downside for this item. The simplest and most agreeable change is that it removes the player's backpack or at least keeps the player's backpack visible. Right now Ghillie suits make it extremely easy for anyone to become almost invisible at 200m+ and Ghillie+Pine Tree = Easy mode concealment. There's plenty of reasons why everyone wouldn't want to wander around in bush-suits in a real zombie apocalypse yet right now these are the single most important item for surviving long-term against other players. While everyone else derps around with white sleeves that stand out from a long-distance, ghillies give an extreme advantage to those camping the treelines. Further changes could include the chance of "overheating" or "heat stroke" if the player runs long distances while wearing the Ghillie (another reflection of reality). Having the ghillie impair movement or vision are also viable options. All of these are far more realistic and sensible for gameplay than the current Ghillie with an invisible backpack and 0 downsides. It makes most observation, scouting, and recon pointless when you can't see any ghillie snipers until they take their first shot and you're already dead - at least give them some downsides to their loadout.

2 - L85A2 AWS) I think this one speaks for itself. Thermal vision destroys everything else that PvP in DayZ stands for. Slow, deliberate movement - concealment - careful positioning - etc. are all realistic and sensible things to do while trying to stay alive before the L85 was introduced. Now if you're up against an L85 user, the best thing you can do is run like a madman to shake up their 3x scope and pray that they can't line up a shot before you get out of range. I've used the L85 myself and everyone else I've played with agrees that it's utterly broken. I can spot any player outdoors up to the draw distance in just a couple seconds of scanning and hunt them down easier than killing most animals in this game. Going up against an L85 user is absolutely no fun and makes even the most stalwart player consider ragequitting. You are left with 2 unhappy options: Staying concealed and waiting for the inevitable burst of fire to kill you or keep moving and draw attention from other hostile players or the L85 user's squadmates. Advanced military hardware should make limited and sensible appearances in DayZ, a thermal scope is an example of something that just doesn't belong.

3 - NVGs) I think most players agree that night-time would be much more fun without the constant threat of NVG users. Night time provides an extremely interesting trade-off in visibility between flashlights, flares, and chemlights - each providing its own advantages and disadvantages. All that goes out the window once NVG's enter the picture. They have a massive edge over any other option and heavily discourage night-time play for those without NVG's. If you are wandering the map using flashlights, flares, or chemlights for visibility you are literally a massive neon sign saying "FREE KILL" for the first NVG user to find you. There's nothing the "regular player" can do to fight back. Flares offer some defense but they also draw zombies, plus any competent shooter will kill you before you even realize that you're being stalked by an NVG user. I think the night-game would improve dramatically if they just removed NVG's from the game, but an acceptable alternative would be to add rare batteries required to give the NVG's power and make the NVG's consume the batteries at a relatively fast rate. It would actually force NVG users to use other methods of illumination besides several hours of perfect visibility at night and even encourage them to put their neck on the line by going into towns/loot spots for batteries at night instead of just stalking treelines and never needing to expose themselves.

4 - M107 & AS-50) Almost every sniper rifle in the game does 8000 damage. The .50 cals do around 38,000 damage and the NATO round for the AS-50 does over 170,000 damage. I think the CZ-550, M14, DMR, M24, and SVD are all in a great place in terms of balance for sniper rifles. They encourage you to go for headshots, and at least give the victim half a chance to take cover when they get shot - encouraging snipers to be more tactical in their attacks. There is also something extremely important in requiring at least 2 shots to down a victim, since it means that non-headshot kills risk exposing your position with each subsequent shot. Shots to the legs/extremities with most snipers only does around 2.5-3k damage, encouraging you to at least aim for vital organs. Now let's look at the .50 cals, they do such obscene damage, one-shot anywhere will drop your opponent. This is HUGE. You have very little risk of exposing your position with just 1-shot, and there's absolutely 0 chance for your opponent to react against being shot at. Even shooting them in stupid places like the arms and legs will instantly kill your opponent. Again, I understand these are nasty weapons, but I think we can live with a game where a .50 shot to the thigh doesn't instantly knock me out and kill me. Keep the high damage of the anti-material round against vehicles but balance the damage of .50 cals so they aren't such massive noobcannons, the AS-50 is arguably the most out of place since it's actually quieter to players than any most of the smaller sniper rifles. If the DayZ team refuses to tone down the damage so only upper torso/headshots are one-hit, other methods should still be considered. Make the .50 cal sniper rifles slow down player movement considerably and give the weapons a more noticeable muzzle flash and smoke from firing the weapon. Consider making these two weapons take up 15 inventory slots or more when stored in a backpack. The presence of crashed helicopters has made these weapons practically standard-issue for all snipers - there needs to be more of a downside to using these weapons. Like the L85 they don't really fit the setting when everyone north of Starry is running around with a small cannon on their backs.

Go back to wow. This game is supposed to be real...not real fair to everyone. No, you shouldnt nerf people who have gillie suits, as far as backpacks, no i dont care if they aren't reducing speed. Christ.

Yea sure shoot me in the foot. Your not blowing off half of my leg. Can you read? OP is saying that 50.cals need to be balanced because they 1 shot kill. Its realistic Certain things about this game actually alot of things go for a realistic approach like Arma. The weapons is one of those things that is somewhat realistic. Its not a situation where 1 thing is realistic so the whole game has to be.

so you're saying the 50.cals are so realistic that you could fire one standing up?

agree with everything except the 50cals.

A 50 in real life would tear off a limb shot at an arm or leg , god knows what to centre mass. I don't see why they shouldn't be in dayz but maybe a rarer spawn rate would be appropriate.

Batteries is a needed mechanic.

L85A2 scope should need batteries, FAL with NV scope should need batteries and NVGs should need batteries.

GPS should allow waypoints (currently all you need is a map) and it should require batteries. Rangefinder should require batteries.

Sure, they'll still be overpowered in combat but DayZ is not a combat game. It's a survival game. It's OK if someone has "OP" equipment. It's what makes it interesting. Why is running a bad idea if you live another day? It's a good thing.

I think we should also have to blink, swallow, defecate, urinate, have our guns jam, knives dull, shoes wear out from so much running, ect.

Fellas,I think its a good suggestion to lower the insane damage of the .50's.If you can kill a person by shooting them in the foot it has to be lowered.Why is it even 170000 anyway?

Balancing is out of place here. I don't want an AS50 to be comparable to a CZ550... because in real life it isn't. An AS50 would blow you in half if it hit you. My only "change" to an AS50 in this game would be that when it hits an extremity it should instantly turn it into red mist and meat chunks. That and it should be able to hit people through thin walls. Ghillie suits do need a downside I think, one relating to temperature is the only one that makes sense to me though. Low temp in this game causes problems, so should high temp. I've worn a ghillie before, it's like jumping into a haystack in 90 degree weather. It get's stuffy almost instantly. Prolonged exposure during the day in one should give a "heatstroke-esque" condition. But then again it could be argued that you stay out of the sun and don't wear your ghillie in a desert. So like I said, I could care less about "balance, OP/UP" in DayZ. I want more realistic drawbacks to real life tactics, but only minor tweaks of designs already in place. I do agree with your change to NVG's to some degree. Mostly because I find them incredibly annoying and if you play with a squad and don't have at least one set on a spotter, you're doing it wrong. Which makes me sad... The tree/bush bit is also a bit of a non-issue on veteran/expert servers that do not allow 3DP. You have to kind of work around a branch or something to get a usable FOV and it's limited at best.