Decaps

Thermal Scope, How OP is it?

Good advice. I'll see if that works next time. I did have the L85 in my backpack for a while, but when I pulled it out I had it out for only a few minutes before disconnecting. I didn't even fire it let alone killing a zombie. However I only had it happen to my L85s (twice), no other gun. We'll see if shooting a zombie can help us avoid this issue.

I had 2x AS50's vanish from my backpack & tent.

Edit: I'm also for thermal sights removal, takes no skill to scout with that sheit.

Edited by Hombre

Its a wallhack now ? Oh my. It cant see through concrete or glass or thick trees and bushes to a certain extent, if you dont see someone and go wandering their way with no cover you would get shot if they had that thermal or not..

Its also a good weapon for keeping watch my mates have a few CQ kills thanks to me guiding them to a target, but yea hay bales, bushes, trees, walls, buildings etc etc block it and pretty much anywhere the thermal can see you so can someone without it.

IMO the gun is fking terrible. The scope though, game changer. I used it simply to spot for my AS50 using mate(s).

I am for removing it from game. I dont need more guys sitting in Cherno spotting everyone 1km away and sniping them. It hard enough to hide from those bloody snipers.

I am for removing it from game. I dont need more guys sitting in Cherno spotting everyone 1km away and sniping them. It hard enough to hide from those bloody snipers.

It's a lot easier to find 'those bloody snipers' with a thermal scope. Just saying.

1) Walk into a supermarket

2) Enjoy your invisibility

People forget that ArmA is a milsim, there are pros and cons to everything, just like in real life. The AWS is rare, has a piss poor FoV, too much zoom to be useful at short-medium ranges, isn't very powerful, and is foiled by glass.

It's OP. It's rare, it's fun but it is OP. It's the equivalent of wall hack, only it is legitimized.

A wall hack would mean you could actually see trough the walls and foliage,

It would be more akin to a texture hack or some other ESP hack.

The Thing got many downsides tough, low FoV, the zoom is fixed for longer ranges you can't see trough glass and folliage and the gun is not very strong.

It's usefull to find snipers in the hills but that's about it.

Used my first L85 today. The scope is powerful, but not overpowered. It has a narrow field of view, and sees little that is not already visible to a player with any other gun. The main difference the scope makes is that it illuminates targets against the background, which makes spotting targets much faster. Considering that this is only worthwhile if the player has a sniper working with them, I don't see a significant issue here.

Anyone saying that because 'this is a mil sim' it's fine to have unbalanced weapons can piss off, though. Real life doesn't have spawn rates and random loot. It's a game, however much it wants to emulate realistic physics/combat, and the first rule of a game is that it must be fun. (Yes, yes, I know... 'antigame' is a meaningless phrase. Sorry, Rocket.)

I could see a nerf to combat weapons in general, but it would have to be part of a comprehensive update including significant improvements in the PvE elements of the mod.

Anyone saying that because 'this is a mil sim' it's fine to have unbalanced weapons can piss off, though. Real life doesn't have spawn rates and random loot. It's a game, however much it wants to emulate realistic physics/combat, and the first rule of a game is that it must be fun. (Yes, yes, I know... 'antigame' is a meaningless phrase. Sorry, Rocket.)

You realize the aim of a simulator is to simulate, right? Not to be a shining beacon of game design but to simulate X, maybe Y and Z if the devs are brave, to the fullest extent possible. ArmA does a fine job at simulating combat, especially advanced optics like FLIR or AWS. If you've been engaged by someone with one you can't just whine on the forums, real life, and thus simulators, don't work that way. If they nail you with their first shot sucks for you, if they miss, sucks for them, if you don't get behind cover, sucks for you. Sure they can't simulate everything, maybe in a couple of decades we'll be near that point, but it's about as close as it's going to be for now. Missing some things isn't an excuse to miss everything.

You people are missing the entire point.

You could attach the thermal scope to a broomstick and it would still be useful for what, at least our team, uses it for which is;

Pre-scouting areas

Countersniping (NOT with the trash L85 but dedicated snipers such as AS50, M24, DMR or CZ550's)

Generally keeping team safe by having a 1000 meter range tool that instantly identifies potential threats by just mousing over the horizon.

Again... it's not about the L85 and it's capabilities as a gun. I honestly don't give a crap about the L85 itself. We use the thermal scope since it's amazingly overpowered by allowing you to spot threats alot faster and at longer ranges than they can by using dayscopes or binoculars and then being able to plan your attack, get into position for a sniper shot, or simply fall back from the area.

With a thermal scope on the team you have just gained the upper hand in about 95% of all encounters you might end up in, simply because you see them before they see you.

And that's what it is all about.

The actually view field of the thermal is only 200~ish meters, and anything beyond that is obscured. The only real benefit for the thermal is in legit gunfights and being able to scout and see through smoke grenades and call out enemy positions for your teammates.

The L85 itself is a British made bullpup assault rifle and packs quite a punch, but with rather bad.. very bad.. accuracy.

A solo player using it as a gun its almost useless.

using it to scout with a sniper or just scout and switch to a better gun is another story. its the best scouting tool in the game hands down.

The actually view field of the thermal is only 200~ish meters, and anything beyond that is obscured. The only real benefit for the thermal is in legit gunfights and being able to scout and see through smoke grenades and call out enemy positions for your teammates.

The L85 itself is a British made bullpup assault rifle and packs quite a punch, but with rather bad.. very bad.. accuracy.

Lol its one of the most accurate assault rifles in the world ^.^

the scope is OP because of the thermals and because of the dupe bugs there are tents and vehicles all over the servers with them in.

"OP" is such a stupid word to be using in a military simulator. In games like COD and BF3 weapons need to be balanced in order to keep a level playing field. In real life though, the people that make the weapons don't go "Shit, this has a thermal site on it, this is way to over powered, we better give it a shit range and crap rounds to keep it all balanced".

In real life, you can't place one weapon into a tent and take two of them out.

Thermal scope upsets me honestly.

The only reason I have survived this long without turning into a bandit, is because I am REALLY good at hiding.

Thermal scope completely negates that. But it's part of the game so I guess I have to live with it. But In a world where it's hard to find a damn can of beans, coming across a trio of bandits all with thermal/night vision military gear seems rather unrealistic.

Edited by "Lost" Alice

Its not OP turn your graphics down to low. Go to Player Profile in your documents and turn off trees. You know have Perma NV/Thermal while on a green tundra. Welcome to DayZ....

I hope I dont need to state that I don't do this....But, been around Arma since Flashpoint and I know this works...Sorry.

Edited by RyBo

Thermal scope upsets me honestly.

The only reason I have survived this long without turning into a bandit, is because I am REALLY good at hiding.

Thermal scope completely negates that. But it's part of the game so I guess I have to live with it. But In a world where it's hard to find a damn can of beans, coming across a trio of bandits all with thermal/night vision military gear seems rather unrealistic.

You obviously aren't good at hiding if you were in that thing's terrible line of sight.

Most combat probably happens in the open world i.e fields and forests if you hide behind a tree they can't see you. Hell behind a thick bush they can't see you.

The guy with thermal is going to see you long before you see him. Not only will you not know that you need to hide behind a tree you wouldn't know which side of the tree to hide behind in the first place.

So yes, if you sit in a bush on the edge of the map far away from anything of value, never moving, your odds of getting spotted with a thermal scope are pretty low but so are your odds of having any fun.

Well i think L85 is more accurate than DMR. I was guarding our jeep while rest of our group was looting stary. I was asked to give overwatch with my thermal weapon, then i saw guy running near the hill 550 meters from me. I asked if he was ours, he wasent, then i went prone, zeroed my weapon and shot 5-10 rounds and the guy just drops dead while he was running away.

For me the weapon is more accurate than DMR because the zeroing and its an assault rifle, but lacks the damage compared to DMR. 5/5 weapon