Decaps

Thermal Scope, How OP is it?

You mean SUSAT? Then we have an accurate version of the weapon.

My point is... keep the weapon ingame (the L85) and get rid of the thermal scope.

To be honest, there is way too many and easily accessible military grade weapons in the game, so for all I care they could have gotten rid of the L85 entirely. For a survival sim I would expect handguns and shotguns to be the run of the mill weapons, and perhaps some ironsight hunting rifles and very rarely scoped ones.

And yes, I know, people will claim that enfields and winchesters are the standard guns in the game. No, it's not really. Enfields and winchesters are pretty standard if you only raid barns and small towns. Start hitting some deerstands, helicopter crash sites, airfields or fire stations and you suddenly have military grade weapons and ammo comming out your ears.

After I respawned from being killed it took me less than an hour to have an enfield and a G17 with plenty mags. Less than an hour after that I had an M14 AIM as well. So yeah, the military stuff is way simple to find.

Furthermore, if the scoped weapons were alot more rare there would also be alot less playerkilling, especially around Cherno, Elektro and Balota airfield. There's alot of experienced players who run and get scoped guns, then come back south to hunt lightly armed or even unarmed newbies who are just trying to figure out the game.

How many new players do you think have been sniped down while looting and trying to figure out ArmA2's absolutely shitty inventory management?

1. Remove thermal scope.

2. Reduce amount of military loot (or at the very least impose severe limitations on finding ammo for them, which makes sense since if the military was overrun by zombies, they wouldn't have conserved their ammo.)

3. Increase rarity of finding scoped weapons.

4. ???

5. Enjoy an improved DayZ.

• Like 2

I have never had any luck with the L85A2 AWS. I found two at a crash site just a few days ago (still 1.7.2.3) and since then, both of them have disappeared from our hands magically. First one was that we joined a night server, and although I had the L85A2, I didn't have any night vision to acompany it so we had to pick another server. Upon joining another server, the L85A2 was completely gone, and my primary weapon slot was empty. Joined a few other servers just to see if we could get it back, but it never appeared again.

The other one I gave to my brother, and upon a server restart yesterday, his vanished the same way.

I am never going to pick up the L85A2 until this issue is resolved. We cant have our guns vanishing like this and leaving one of our teamate's naked.

I am never going to pick up the L85A2 until this issue is resolved. We cant have our guns vanishing like this and leaving one of our teamate's naked.

Well, it is alpha, so yeah, we do have to expect and deal with issues like that.

It's not just L85 related. They did disappear due to the anti hacking error in 1.7.2? But now there's problems with the hive saving peoples inventories properly. If you pick up a new weapon swap it in your backpack a bit. Kill a zombie to save location and wait 5 - 10 minutes before logging off, if you're lucky you'll have your stuff.

• Like 2

It's not just L85 related. They did disappear due to the anti hacking error in 1.7.2? But now there's problems with the hive saving peoples inventories properly. If you pick up a new weapon swap it in your backpack a bit. Kill a zombie to save location and wait 5 - 10 minutes before logging off, if you're lucky you'll have your stuff.

Good advice. I'll see if that works next time. I did have the L85 in my backpack for a while, but when I pulled it out I had it out for only a few minutes before disconnecting. I didn't even fire it let alone killing a zombie. However I only had it happen to my L85s (twice), no other gun. We'll see if shooting a zombie can help us avoid this issue.

Edited by whitetigerofmichigan

The scope is incredible, though the minimum zoom being high is definitely a factor as well.

Things to consider about the L85(contrary to what others may have said).

It's very weak. It's very inaccurate(the most inaccurate rifle i've seen so far, actually). It takes up 10 slots in a bag(Because the weapon itself is, frankly, quite shitty. Any time you DO want to shoot something, you'll be switching guns).

To whether it's OP or not? I'm not really sure. I mean, that thermal scope is f'n amazing. So probably, yeah. I don't think i'd be too upset if they removed the thermal, though they may as well remove the gun altogether at that point because it's inferior to nearly every weapon in the game at that point(Obviously we're not talking Makarovs and Double Barrels here.).

Well I wouldn't say its OP as all it does is counter concealment, but I see it more as a way to keep snipers for completely dominating certain areas.

Yea I was about 200 meters away from a guy standing still, zeroed it to 200m and shot 5 times directly on at him and missed every single shot lol. Epic gun :D

You must just be bad at shooting (no offence), i used this wepon at 300m and shot 3 times at a guy 300m away and all hit him and he died....

Well I wouldn't say its OP as all it does is counter concealment, but I see it more as a way to keep snipers for completely dominating certain areas.

Or help sniper teams totally dominate areas. You have to remember, a lot of people play with a group. You only need 1 or 2 people using the thermal to see every motherfucker around for a mile, and one guy with an as50 to take them out. A team sitting still and scanning can keep their thermal up 100% of the time. A team trying to move into an occupied area has to scan, move, scan, move. They're vulnerable every time they move.

You must just be bad at shooting (no offence), i used this wepon at 300m and shot 3 times at a guy 300m away and all hit him and he died....

It's perfectly fine within 300 meters. After that it turns into shit really fast.

I mean, it's still pretty weak for a rifle, even at 300m and less. I've been hit 3-4 times at close range by one, and I lived.

Edited by Valec
  • Like 2

M4

dispersion = 0.00175;

M16

dispersion = 0.001;

L85

dispersion = 0.001

Stop talking out of your a** guys how inaccurate is to justify how overpowered it is. It fires the same ammo as the M16 and has the same accuracy. If you can't hit a person on 300 meters or a barn on 600 meters you either have a pirated copy with fade activated or just plain are too dumb to aim properly in ArmA.

Because basically what you are saying is that every rifle except the AKM, FN FAL, M14 and the Lee Enfield suck with their damage and are inaccurate as hell-

Edited by Alienfreak

Or help sniper teams totally dominate areas. You have to remember, a lot of people play with a group. You only need 1 or 2 people using the thermal to see every motherfucker around for a mile, and one guy with an as50 to take them out. A team sitting still and scanning can keep their thermal up 100% of the time. A team trying to move into an occupied area has to scan, move, scan, move. They're vulnerable every time they move.

^ this

I'm a sniper, and a don't have a l85, but if me and my buddies are camping a certain area, you're not gonna see me with your L85 any sooner than i see you through my AS50 scope unless the weather on that server is really bad (and i won't be sniping then anyway).

And while you are immobile and scanning the treelines ill just put an .50 cal round in your chest.

Snipers that know what they are doing are already a major threat in this game, and the L85 just works in their favor.

Cause if you have one spotter with an L85 in a 2 or 3 man sniper team, each of those snipers is gonna see you or your squad moving in before you have any chance to spot all the snipers waiting for you no matter how many L85s you have.

Agree L85 in the right hands is deadly, especially with an organized group using thermal sweeps effectively.

We've lost them every time we've had one though. Backpack or primary, it never comes back the next session. Not sure if due to reconnecting or due to server restart. So if you get one, use it before you lose it!

It seem to completely nullify any none solid cover from any distance which isn't even realistic.

I use a Wescam FLIR daily at work. The ranges we're talking in ARMA 2/Day Z, it works just fine and in a very realistic fashion.

I killed 14 players in today's playing session without dying thanks to the thermal scope. The gun itself is a piece of junk, but it's an amazing tool for spotting targets — especially enemy snipers.

It's OP. It's rare, it's fun but it is OP. It's the equivalent of wall hack, only it is legitimized.

There's alot of experienced players who run and get scoped guns, then come back south to hunt lightly armed or even unarmed newbies who are just trying to figure out the game.

I have little to no respect for people who do that.

In the hands of a spotter it negates pretty much all tension with regards to other players, since other players are where 99.9% of the tension comes from. NVG is rough enough - I don't see how you can justify a scope that outlines players against all of the terrain... As the poster above said its a wall hack... its ESP.

This thread makes me laugh. Stop whining about people seeing you and killing you and go get your own l85 and murder them. This game isn't about being fair and it never has been. Get over it and go get one for yourself.

The AWS is nightvision, not thermal. It's no different than a scoped gun with NVG.

*Also. The gun will eventually disappear from your bag leaving the ammo behind, it is bugged. So, use it as much as possible.

Edited by Promagnum

It's OP. It's rare, it's fun but it is OP. It's the equivalent of wall hack, only it is legitimized.

equivalent of a wall hack would mean it can see through walls which it can't.

Most combat probably happens in the open world i.e fields and forests if you hide behind a tree they can't see you. Hell behind a thick bush they can't see you.

The AWS is nightvision, not thermal. It's no different than a scoped gun with NVG.

*Also. The gun will eventually disappear from your bag leaving the ammo behind, it is bugged. So, use it as much as possible.

Ever tried the switch optics key?

Works wonders.

• Like 1

A friend and I recently looted a crashed heli and he had picked up a L85 with thermal and holy crap we realized how op it is. I mean if you had a thermal scope with a sniper buddy you could camp anywhere and counter snipe anyone. It seem to completely nullify any none solid cover from any distance which isn't even realistic. So in your experience, how OP is the thermal scope, and how do you beat a thermal scope/sniper combo?

Who cares if it is OP. This is based on a Mil Sim game. Mil Sims are meant to model real life. Dayz is a sim for a zed apocalypse if it were real. In real life guns were not built for fairness, rather they were built as a response to an enemies piece of weaponry or tactic and meant to give as much as an unfair advantage for the operator as possible. Thermal is OP and for a good reason. It was meant to spot people easily and it does the job well. Stop trying to balance my FPS's >.< Dayz or not.

"OP" is such a stupid word to be using in a military simulator. In games like COD and BF3 weapons need to be balanced in order to keep a level playing field. In real life though, the people that make the weapons don't go "Shit, this has a thermal site on it, this is way to over powered, we better give it a shit range and crap rounds to keep it all balanced".

My friends have found a couple l85 AWS, and I have to say, it is not over powered in any way, my friend and I were sniping for our team and we spotted a target about 800m out, and we waited a few to see, and a gaz came by, stop at about 750 and the other person ran to it. We lit up the gaz, but im pretty sure none of my 5.56 rounds made it out that far, it was zeroed in to about 700