hyzoran

How to tell if nametags are enabled?

As a person who plays with friends alot, I am really not willing to play without nametags cause it gets to confusing with no way to tell who is who, and I often get shot at my bandits cause I take the second to find out if they are my friends or not....

So is there any way to tell if nametags are enabled without joining a server and wasting time?

So, your saying you cant tell who someone is if they are standing 10 meters away? You recognize someone's general body shape from 300 meters away in a scope?

Its just complete chaos without them imo, I like realism, but not being able to tell who someone is until after theyve shot at you from 10 meters away is unbearable for me.

regular difficulty servers have nametags, veteran ones don't.

personally i don't understand why people play with those stupid things - it's basically a wallhack.

regular difficulty servers have nametags' date=' veteran ones don't.

personally i don't understand why people play with those stupid things - it's basically a wallhack.

[/quote']

It certainly makes finding your friends (and not shooting them by mistake) a lot easier.

wait, you want them on?

damn...

I hate scanning the treeline with my gun only to suddenly have the game yell at me that there is a guy 300m away and even what his name is...

Its one hell of an immersion breaker and makes for silly long distance firefights.

One should really be able to tell if they are on or not before joining a server.

So both of us can get what we want :)

[/quote']

It certainly makes finding your friends (and not shooting them by mistake) a lot easier.

people in real life don't have magical name tags identifying them for the world. there's something called "communication" instead.

[/quote']

people in real life don't have magical name tags identifying them for the world. there's something called "communication" instead.

In real life people have unique recognizable faces and don't all dress exactly the same. Not being able to tell the difference between a friend and a bandit standing next to each other 10 feet away is a problem. Maybe a way to only show nametags of people within a reasonable distance (maybe 10 or 20 meters) would be a good compromise.

Yeah i hate playing with no name tags, In real life i know what my friends look like and i know what a stranger looks like in this game everyone looks the same. So untill everyone can 100% customize the look of the chracter they are playing how am i suppose to know if your friend or foe you all look the same. But i also think name tags should have a very limited distance, maybe no longer then 50 meters.

wait' date=' you want them on?

damn...

I hate scanning the treeline with my gun only to suddenly have the game yell at me that there is a guy 300m away and even what his name is...

Its one hell of an immersion breaker and makes for silly long distance firefights.

One should really be able to tell if they are on or not before joining a server.

So both of us can get what we want :)

[/quote']

Agreed. The banditry is 100X worse on regular servers due to this. All you need is high powered rifle, a map, and your cursor and you can murder people right through cover/walls.

*look at map, see 2 orange survivors to the east* "Oh, he's east" *Turns east, moves cursor around, fire through wall scoring a kll* Another kill, yay!?...

I hate it, and wish more servers were running on expert with no cursors/nametags/3rd person. Regular difficulty makes the game kind of retarded.

keeping in constant contact over voice comms works as well, like everybody tells everybody what they are doing and where they are moving to, works like a charm for my group.

Are'nt there commands to wave your arms in the air?

(Like ya just don't care)

...and to give silent signals to squad mates?

I saw that in an ARMA 2 video. ACE, something...

Just look at the difficulty on the server list. As allready said: Regular means nametag mode.

As for recognizing people. Go to your main menu, edit your profile and choose a face that is different from the default one.

Full beards, old guys, black guys, asian guys, they all are a lot easier to recognize.

For added help just slap on some glasses too.

Since i found that out I'm just: "Friendly, I'm the asian guy with the sunglasses"

Are'nt there commands to wave your arms in the air?

(Like ya just don't care)

...and to give silent signals to squad mates?

I saw that in an ARMA 2 video. ACE' date=' something...

[/quote']

Salut, sit down and surrender can be found in the *infantry controls*.

Don't know if this is the way but I generally find nametags are on if you point at an object or building it it says its a "House" or "building" or something like that. At that point I just leave the server.

I think most servers that have them off have some sort of tag in the server descrip. At least ours, SLC 1, has [Veteran+3dp+noch] in the server name. Which means vet difficulty (No nameplates) with 3rd person enabled, and no cross hairs.

I hate the nametags.

I don't want to make a lot of effort making sure I'm in cover for some lucky bandit to then be able to have his sights alert him to where I am.

keeping in constant contact over voice comms works as well' date=' like everybody tells everybody what they are doing and where they are moving to, works like a charm for my group.

[/quote']

Aye, that's what we do too. Also when in doubt we tell everyone to prone, that way the guy who hasn't hit the deck gets a bullet in the face.

keeping in constant contact over voice comms works as well' date=' like everybody tells everybody what they are doing and where they are moving to, works like a charm for my group.

[/quote']

Aye, that's what we do too. Also when in doubt we tell everyone to prone, that way the guy who hasn't hit the deck gets a bullet in the face.

hahaha picturing that happening just made laugh enough to spit my coffee :D

[/quote']

hahaha picturing that happening just made laugh enough to spit my coffee :D

Yeah, kinda like that game where the music stops and everyone has to sit on a chair ^^

First of all, you cant see nametags through walls

second of all, your exaggerating the scanning during night, its not that easy to do, unless they are very close.

Third of all, I joined 6 different regular servers and nametags were disabled, which is why I was asking this question in the first place. So far, I only found 1 server with it enabled (EU14)

also, I dont think nametag distance can be modified since its a hardcoded feature I believe, although, Rocket IS part of BIS on the other hand....

First of all' date=' you cant see nametags through walls

second of all, your exaggerating the scanning during night, its not that easy to do, unless they are very close.

Third of all, I joined 6 different regular servers and nametags were disabled, which is why I was asking this question in the first place. So far, I only found 1 server with it enabled (EU14)

also, I dont think nametag distance can be modified since its a hardcoded feature I believe, although, Rocket IS part of BIS on the other hand....

[/quote']

You're wrong on how easy it is to do. Before i quit playing regular severs it was nothing to spot someone 700+ meters, even worse on some once you tag them you can track them on the map.

I for one believe there should be a a certain limit where you can't see nametags anymore. I was on Zug castle and saw someone 500M away with m CZ. Good for me, bad for them, and honestly very cheap. I think it should only go up to 30 M.

i for one would support a total ban of nametags, unrelated to the difficulty the server chooses, but that may be just me.

I love sneaking and I'd say I'm good at it, but that doesn't help if even a blind man can spot me cause of my nametags