ruarz

Suggestions for the DayZ standalone - thinking outside of the limitations of an Arma 2 mod.

Shut up and take my beans!

I think I can speak for most "lone wolf" players when I say that the new feature of limiting blood regain through eating to once an hour (https://github.com/R...on/Changelog.md)

You can no longer regain blood from cooked food for 1 hour after eating. (ie spamming cooked meat to regain hp)

will be the death of many of us.

So, I request/suggest, to add regeneration of blood over time.

Of course not as fast as most shooters or RPGs, where it's almost dead to full heath in a few seconds/minutes.

I'm thinking more of 1-20 blood per minute, depending on hunger/thirst level and wound treatment.

And maybe limited to a maximum of 6.000 - 10.000, also dependent on your health state.

So blood bags don't become obsolete, but solo players have higher chances of survival.

by wound treatment I mean how well you're treating your wounds. (of course, this mostly for the standalone, which'll have a much more sophisticated health/disease system)

So, if you've broken your leg and sprint through the woods, your regeneration is slowed.

If you've applied a bandage not too long ago, the wounds still there, your regeneration is slowed.

If you've got a concussion and run around like maniac.

If you're sick with whatever disease you might get.

If you're cold/wet

It also adds authenticity. "time heals all wounds"

Edited by Nihilisst
  • Like 3

I think I can speak for most "lone wolf" players when I say that the new feature of limiting blood regain through eating to once an hour (https://github.com/R...on/Changelog.md)

will be the death of many of us.

So, I request/suggest, to add regeneration of blood over time.

Of course not as fast as most shooters or RPGs, where it's almost dead to full heath in a few seconds/minutes.

I'm thinking more of 1-20 blood per minute, depending on hunger/thirst level and wound treatment.

And maybe limited to a maximum of 6.000 - 10.000, also dependent on your health state.

So blood bags don't become obsolete, but solo players have higher chances of survival.

by wound treatment I mean how well you're treating your wounds. (of course, this mostly for the standalone, which'll have a much more sophisticated health/disease system)

So, if you've broken your leg and sprint through the woods, your regeneration is slowed.

If you've applied a bandage not too long ago, the wounds still there, your regeneration is slowed.

If you've got a concussion and run around like maniac.

If you're sick with whatever disease you might get.

If you're cold/wet

It also adds authenticity. "time heals all wounds"

Personally I think the entire system of blood as the sole representative measure of health is a load of bollocks. What about infection, starvation, dehydration, burning, drowning, hyper/hypothermia and blunt trauma? Its a deeply flawed system, especially with the upcoming emphasis on infection, and will need a complete revision.

Edited by ruarz

Toggles

Before playing dayz i make the following adjustments in the controls options to make them simpler and less finicky. It is annoying when the toggle for various actions is accidentally triggered by double tapping.

remove walk run toggle from (left shift) and move to another key or remove all together if making walk default movement speed in SA. I prefer walk as default movement speed instead of run so left shift now initiates run instead of walk.

remove free look toggle

remove lean left/right toggle

I think i also removed a toggle for raise weapon (cant remember)

P.S For the uninitiated removing Toggle doesn't effect the original function of the key, but only takes away the function of tapping it 2X.

----------------------------------

Prone, crouch and stand all on one key in SA. Inspired by the MGS series.

eg: let's say we use (space bar) as prone/crouch/stand key

from standing position to crouch tap space bar

from standing position to Prone hold space bar

from prone to crouch tap space bar

from prone to standing hold space bar

from running to diving prone, while running hold (space bar)

from prone to evasive/dashing forward hold (w), (left shift) and (space bar)

--------------------------------

Raise, Lower weapon

In Arma2 when in crouch position with weapon lowered pressing the (ctrl) key to raise weapon will make your character stand up then raise weapon, this is embarrassing if you are trying to be stealthy, making you stand out like an erection. This is annoying please fix it devs.

It would be great if you could also lower pistols so as not to look like Tackleberry from Police academy the whole time.

Mouse sensitivity

Increase default sensitivity, i usually put the sliders for X and Y both 3/4 of the way up.

reduce smoothness (more accurate, less delay)

Field of View

I double click - on the numbers pad to get a wider field of view, (especially useful in first person view). It would be nice to have two separate sliders for field of view

adjustments In SA, for both First and Third Person.

-------------------------------

Head Bob

As much as i love the head BoB effect, i have to reduce the setting because it makes it too difficult to look/zoom far ahead and spot a player or zed while moving. Also i

think the default setting is unrealistically high. I feel that in real life vision is a little more stable.

-------------------------------

CrossHair

Make it possible to remove crosshair from settings menu. On second thought, isn't the CH going to be removed all together?. Hope so.

pretty sure they're removing the cross hair, and moving towards removing the rest of the UI as well.

(1) Why is there no Ruger 10/22?? That is one of the most reliable .22's out there. And there needs to be more izmash saiga rifles! And SKS's! There needs to be more civilian RU weapons, being a post soviet island chenarus is going to have more Mosin Nagants than Lee Enfields, Besides, why the fuck do the (Post) Russians have WW1-WW2 British weapons?? In abundance?

(2) More surplus type weapons, there are surplus stores in America, There ought to be in Russia too, not saying this would be filled with weapons but maybe a crate of Mosin Nagants or SKS's in some sense.

(3) More Civi weapons, by the time some random survivors started to loot small - big citys, all the big military shit will have been taken, so im saying more bolt actions, like a none- scoped version of the CZ550 or the Mosin Nagant with a bayonet! Or an SKS with a rifle grenade etc! The possibility's are endless here, im tired of getting killed in cherno by M16s etc, There wouldnt even be NATO/US weapons in a town like that! Makes no sense.

• Like 1

why is NATO weapons in chernarus?

becaus of virus/zombies they was going to help take it under control what happened "not good job guys"

gun shop please put it in list in first post

but if it is already there maybe i missed it

(1) Why is there no Ruger 10/22?? That is one of the most reliable .22's out there. And there needs to be more izmash saiga rifles! And SKS's! There needs to be more civilian RU weapons, being a post soviet island chenarus is going to have more Mosin Nagants than Lee Enfields, Besides, why the fuck do the (Post) Russians have WW1-WW2 British weapons?? In abundance?

(2) More surplus type weapons, there are surplus stores in America, There ought to be in Russia too, not saying this would be filled with weapons but maybe a crate of Mosin Nagants or SKS's in some sense.

(3) More Civi weapons, by the time some random survivors started to loot small - big citys, all the big military shit will have been taken, so im saying more bolt actions, like a none- scoped version of the CZ550 or the Mosin Nagant with a bayonet! Or an SKS with a rifle grenade etc! The possibility's are endless here, im tired of getting killed in cherno by M16s etc, There wouldnt even be NATO/US weapons in a town like that! Makes no sense.

to all gun-interested guys:

Russia — Gun Facts, Figures and the Law

• Like 1

some new survival implementations:

- larvas as baits: rotting carcasses always go with flies -> implement larvas as lootables to use as bait or to eat (this would provide a non-spoiled food resource)

- usage of ash: irl ash could be used to keep bugs and insects away, but would also be useable for disguising; could be used from fireplaces.

- mirrors: use as weapon, use to give signal

- leeches: use them against infections, fevers, for open wounds (anti-inflammatory)

- herbals: camomille for example can be found almost everywhere in the world, against colds and inflammations; peppermint

- crutches: real ones, or also craftable through big branches -> go upright and much faster, despite broken legs

- portable fridges: use cloths and shreds with water and wrap your raw food -> keeps it cool and delays the fouling process

- new stashes: exclusively for food are dead fireplaces ->keeps also animals away (btw. animals should be attracted to food stashes ;))

- distill or cook water: reduces the risk of infections

- first-aid-boxes in cars

and so on and so on..

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

another idea for "unique loot" or better random loot:

banknotes, randomly spread over the map. Now you say NO MONEY SYSTEMS. What if we say, money has always been an essential item to modern human society, thus there should be at least piles of money left everywhere.

Fun thing is: We decide what will happen with the banknotes ingame. Will we, the players, try to use it as means of exchange again? Will it be just useless trash? Expect money to be flammable by the way, will it be just for use in the cold nights? hmm another layer in player interaction....

It would be fun to watch how virtually useless items as banknotes become or precisely not become of any value.

just take your time and think it over a little..

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

another idea for "unique loot" or better random loot:

banknotes, randomly spread over the map. Now you say NO MONEY SYSTEMS. What if we say, money has always been an essential item to modern human society, thus there should be at least piles of money left everywhere.

Fun thing is: We decide what will happen with the banknotes ingame. Will we, the players, try to use it as means of exchange again? Will it be just useless trash? Expect money to be flammable by the way, will it be just for use in the cold nights? hmm another layer in player interaction....

It would be fun to watch how virtually useless items as banknotes become or precisely not become of any value.

just take your time and think it over a little..

Like Pre-War Money in Fallout. Agree that there needs to be a bit more 'almost useless' junk in DayZ, other than tin cans and empty bottles to add to realism. Other than redundant currency there should be a lot more junk items, especially ones which can be crafted into other things. Rocket has talked about junk items which may then go on to constitute currency, but this would be done in a completely organic and player-driven way.

Edited by ruarz
  • Like 1

Personally I think the entire system of blood as the sole representative measure of health is a load of bollocks. What about infection, starvation, dehydration, burning, drowning, hyper/hypothermia and blunt trauma? Its a deeply flawed system, especially with the upcoming emphasis on infection, and will need a complete revision.

I think it's actually pretty good. Of course, it can (and should) be much more sophisticated and worked out.

So that Hunger, Thirst, Heat + Cold, Wounds, Sickness .. all have an influence on your blood regeneration.

Combine that with other features and it's about as realistic as it gets:

- No blood gain (maybe even penalties) through food spamming ("fullness" after 1 can or 1 steak)

- Correct wound treatment (splints for fractures, bullet removal, disinfection of wounds.

- hunger, thirst, wound level, infections, temperature, blood level each affect each other. (drink more when it's hot, move slower when hurt, get hungry/thirsty faster when running, lose blood when sick, slow regeneration when thirsty/hungry/wounded/cold ...)

Like Pre-War Money in Fallout. Agree that there needs to be a bit more 'almost useless' junk in DayZ, other than tin cans and empty bottles to add to realism. Other than redundant currency there should be a lot more junk items, especially ones which can be crafted into other things. Rocket has talked about junk items which may then go on to constitute currency, but this would be done in a completely organic and player-driven way.

+1, I really like that. Things like Saucepans (that you need to boil water), rags (that you can use to clean your weapon), bleach or other chemicals (to make explosives), sticks (to make arrows/bolts or splints),

wow i had just this "wolf in a sheep's clothing" flash going to my mind! what if wool could be looted and used as disguise!! B)

-fishing, setting booby traps, or possibly digging a hole for a trap? i think it would also be cool to be able to start a fire with something like glasses or magnifying glass

-say what you want about my other ideas, but fishing for sure...

And remove the 3rd view should definitively be in the SA... Have you already turn a corner without knowing whats on the other side... Well I did and believe me seeing a zombie at 5 inches of your face is very spooky. This will also add more cautiousness... since you cannot have a "360" view you cannot just run around and feel safe

many eastern european countries do not have such a defined structure in terms of their overall appearance of localities when it comes to smaller cities or towns. Meaning there is a house here, an apartement building there and inbetween is a free space completely left wild and seemingly beeing no ones property. At least that's what i've learned of some towns in Poland or Ukraine.

Over time everything gets overgrown with all kind of bushes and grass. Litter starts to grow in piles and trails begin to form. i want to see right that!

• Like 1

if it wasn't said already perhaps giving more option under video for us lower-end pc users. so we can enjoy the game to. like i said if it has not been said. if it has been said well please ignore this comment

I agree with the OP on crafting entirely. It might take a good deal of creative thought, but I think the best way to facilitate player cooperation is to make a way in which not everyone can craft everything. But, at the same time, I don't want it to be a (more or less) artificial system, like "Oh, you didn't pick Doctor at the start of the game, so you'll never be able to splint a broken leg", or "You haven't found that one particular book that teaches your character to build IEDs in one read-through? Too bad."

I want it to be something complicated, even more so than Minecraft's. Not talking about the finished product, obviously. I don't want people being able to make their own swords and whatnot. And obviously some things would be simple, like wrapping a cloth around a stick to make a torch. But somehow I want it to be player-knowledge-based, as I've seen mentioned before, without being painfully silly and simple like Minecraft.

• Like 1

I agree with the OP on crafting entirely. It might take a good deal of creative thought, but I think the best way to facilitate player cooperation is to make a way in which not everyone can craft everything. But, at the same time, I don't want it to be a (more or less) artificial system, like "Oh, you didn't pick Doctor at the start of the game, so you'll never be able to splint a broken leg", or "You haven't found that one particular book that teaches your character to build IEDs in one read-through? Too bad."

I want it to be something complicated, even more so than Minecraft's. Not talking about the finished product, obviously. I don't want people being able to make their own swords and whatnot. And obviously some things would be simple, like wrapping a cloth around a stick to make a torch. But somehow I want it to be player-knowledge-based, as I've seen mentioned before, without being painfully silly and simple like Minecraft.

i was posting somting that could be something you thinking about

some thing like skill but not clases because clases are very limiting skills which could be learned from books by reading them or from other players as theory and later practice but with some skill you dont need theory and something like in Mount and Blade weapons skill (one hand, two hand, ...) there you have point from 0 - xxxxxx slowly improves and you get better and better so it will be dificult to get best in every skill but only in skill that you use

Mixed opinions on skills, I'm undecided, but I think its unlikely they'll ever make it into the game

Assuming that we do see "hundreds" of different clothing pieces, the potential for creating unique clan uniforms if the variety of clothing is wide enough really stands out for me... the possibility of being able to identify members of the community by their attire would be a great tool for players to generate their own content (things like inter clan relations really get me excited)

If it's not possible to implement enough unique pieces of clothing for this kind of idea perhaps consider adding some kind of dye system to the game? I would prefer that there were enough unique pieces to do it without dyes, but just another idea.

• Like 2

I really like the idea of having a 'uniform' for your group, but remember that it needn't be something so obvious as all wearing the same jacket. The dev blogs have discussed the possibility of tattoos and such, so what if you could apply emblems to clothes. If all of your group wear jackets with a particular emblem applied in a particular place then your uniform can be more subtle.

This thread is awesome, great job!!

I suggest the author or anyone make a PDF version of this thread, so that the devs maybe can get an idea or use it as the games manual. I think the game should have a solid game manual, especially for new players. Even though its fun learning things on the go, right now for example its not obvious a morphine will fix a broken leg for example, so having a solid and polished game manual would be awesome.