Sushidad

Snipers & Spotters, wanna know the range?

God morning fellow snipers, spotters & sniperteams out there. I've made a tool for spotters to use to assist the sniper in finding out the range to targets using the dayz map.

In other words, it's a mapbased rangefinder. You could do this in real life aswell with a map and a ruler.

I tested alot of designs but hey, the simpler the better. I made this "tutorial" so much harder than it really is to use the tool... so sorry about that ^^

How to use:

Download Sushidad's Rangefinder2 here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/cqewj6 click: click here to star download from sendspace

Go to http://dayzdb.com/map

Instruction Pictures.

http://www4.picturep...yzdb-Setup1.png

http://www3.picturep...yzdb-Setup2.png

http://www1.picturep...yzdb-Setup3.png

#1 Setup the map. use the mousewheel to zoom, zoom so that the little thingy in top left corner is in the middle ( 50% zoom ) NOTE: THE RANGEFINDER ONLY WORKS AT THIS ZOOM

#2 The blue grid should be 1km (control this with the rangefinder when u have opened it up)

#3 Open the rangefinder

#4 Click and hold @ your position and drag to the position of the target and it will feed you the range.

And for all yall that hate getting killed by snipers. I've added a tool for you aswell:

As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me

• Like 1

Better idea;

find the rangefinder in-game and don't ruin the immersion.

Is it really that hard to memorise one tiny EZ formula for measuring range with mildots?

if it exists, there's an app for it.

I'm definitely not going to download something coming from somebody with one post.

Well it's my first post, so what do you suggest I do? :/

( Now I have 2 posts tho XD )

Edited by Sushidad

Lol, learn to snipe in singleplayer and then you can guess ranges, I'd feel cheated if some guy used this to take me out, knowing that he has absolutely no skill in what he's doing.

Lol, learn to snipe in singleplayer and then you can guess ranges, I'd feel cheated if some guy used this to take me out, knowing that he has absolutely no skill in what he's doing.

It's a map and a ruler so I don't think its cheating at all. Besides it mostly for newbies to start getting a feel for the range, I never use this tool anymore, but i really speeded up my "eye for range"

besides Its really clumsy to use for the lone sniper since you have to alt+tab to use it and then you can't keep track of your target, so its for newbies and sniper teams mostly.

thanks for the input :D

Edited by Sushidad

It would take a good two minutes this way to find out the distance. You think the target would just stand there waiting?

(Find the locations of both of you, switch to windows, open the programs...)

At least use the in-game map, it has 100m gridlines . It's faster and easier to measure.

Or place yourself in the editor with a few weapon crates and AI soldiers in the airfield lined up for example 100 meters apart. Try out different weapons and memorize how tall a person is through the scope. Use mildots and same zoom level throughout. Hold spacebar to see how far each man is. Practise.

And if you're into camping as a sniper, while you're setting up your fire position, take your time to measure the distance to a couple of landmarks in your sector. For example, that big tree on the right is 400m away, that rock 700, house 1k. Test fire to be sure. Wait for your prey.

Or just use the map and a ruler :)

I assume that the square on the map has a side lenght of 1km, could someone confirm that ?

Also that are centimeters so its metric:

Which country does not belong in the following list: Burma, Liberia, Somalia, United States?

OK, that was not too difficult. As astute Scientific Blogging reader you got that right. Somalia has made the step to metric (SI) units already half a century ago, and therefore does not belong in one list together with the three remaining countries that haven't embraced the metric system yet.

source

mapdistance1.png

mapdistance2.png

EDIT: wont embed those pictures probably too big ...

Edited by Proceed

Download this mission, set it up in the editor in whatever area you like...and practice/test with whatever weapon you feel like. Much better solution to learn to use your equipment I think....

Edited by Mercator
  • Like 1

Very nice and intuitive tool! But I'll stick with my mil-dots, thanks.

if it exists, there's an app for it.

I always get them mixed up, is that rule 34 or rule 34a?

Edited by Dallas

can someone explain how the mildots work puhlease? i only have a cz550(might not even be called that), but one day i hope to have a nice big sniper rifle of my own and would like to know how to use it :D

If you're on a server that allows map markers and you know the your grid location and the grid location of your target, then you can use map markers as crude/rough range finder.

It would take a good two minutes this way to find out the distance. You think the target would just stand there waiting?

(Find the locations of both of you, switch to windows, open the programs...)

It's mainly for spotters and to get a decent range to a building or compund where the target is located, we did play in 2 man teams, one spotter with binos and the map and rangefinder open in the background so when we saw a target the spotter tabbed out, draw a line told the shooter, took around 3 sec to get a accurate range, after 2 days of sniping we dint need the tool anymore :D

but you have a valid point! :)

You do realize that there are simple formulas using mil-dots to range a target right? but then I guess you'd have to do some math. I'm going to just copy and paste what I have already said in another thread since these posts keep popping up asking about how to range with mil-dots and how to use them.

knowing anything about true target aquisition and ranging long distance shots helps, but i understand not all of you are Marines and most havent been hounded with training for this over many years so to break it down barney style for most of you look at this

http://www.mil-dot.com/user-guide

Using a mil dot reticle is a mathematical proposition requiring some calculating in order to arrive at a solution. For range estimation problems there are three components; target size (Tz), mils read (m) and range ®. You MUST have two of the three to arrive at the third component. Most commonly, the shooter will know the target size and by using the reticle will arrive at mils read, here are the formulas;

Target size (in yards) x 1000 / Mils read = yards to target

Target size (in meters) x 1000 / Mils read = meters to target

To figure out the range with your target being known in inches instead of meters or yards

For Meters:

• Object size (in) divided by 39 x 1000 divided by mils read
  • Object size (in) x 25.4 divided by mils read

helps explain how to gauge distance of targets using simple formulas used by the USMC, USArmy, USNavy and anyone using a mil-dot equipped scope... hope this helps

Edited by Acix

I made a quick pre-calculated range sheet which helps you gauge the approximate ranges easily using the mildots.

You can find it here http://www.filedropper.com/mildotrangesheet

Just print it out, cut out the sheet and tape it next to your monitor. Then you can quickly place scope over a target, read the mildot measurement, check the sheet and you should have range on target quite fast.

The sheet is calculated using a default character model height of 1.8m when standing and 0.9m when crouched.

Enjoy.

You do realize that there are simple formulas using mil-dots to range a target right? but then I guess you'd have to do some math. I'm going to just copy and paste what I have already said in another thread since these posts keep popping up asking about how to range with mil-dots and how to use them.

knowing anything about true target aquisition and ranging long distance shots helps, but i understand not all of you are Marines and most havent been hounded with training for this over many years so to break it down barney style for most of you look at this

http://www.mil-dot.com/user-guide

Using a mil dot reticle is a mathematical proposition requiring some calculating in order to arrive at a solution. For range estimation problems there are three components; target size (Tz), mils read (m) and range ®. You MUST have two of the three to arrive at the third component. Most commonly, the shooter will know the target size and by using the reticle will arrive at mils read, here are the formulas;

Target size (in yards) x 1000 / Mils read = yards to target

Target size (in meters) x 1000 / Mils read = meters to target

To figure out the range with your target being known in inches instead of meters or yards

For Meters:

• Object size (in) divided by 39 x 1000 divided by mils read
  • Object size (in) x 25.4 divided by mils read

helps explain how to gauge distance of targets using simple formulas used by the USMC, USArmy, USNavy and anyone using a mil-dot equipped scope... hope this helps

Just to help explain this in the context for Arma2

-For the correct mil-dots you have to be at the most zoomed in level possible in an Arma2 scope. So if you are using a rifle with 2 levels of zoom, the outer level won't have the correct magnification and scaling for the mil-dots.

-Approximate height for a standing human in Arma2 is about 1.7 or 1.8m. approximate heights for crouched human is 0.9m and prone human is 0.4m.