NguyenSanity

Get Rid of heart beat

By now, its obvious that it's pretty useless. It should be your own logic to determine if the player in question is trustworthy or not. Things to consider is what they are equipping, what they are wearing, how they talk or move, not because your heart says they are a murderer. Players are killed long before they could approach and hear their heartbeat's feelings about a bandit. Also, it makes traveling with other players very annoying. You constantly hear heartbeats like you don't trust the guy you have been killing survivors with for the last few hours.

It was a nice feature, but as you said, Rocket, it was purely experimental and I think it's time to decide that the heart beats actually makes less player interaction rather than more. It's also generally not used, because I could kill a ton of people in one life and be an angel in the next. It does not recreate that situation in that movie, but rather does the opposite and lets the player shoot the other player without even saying a word before hand.

• Like 3

Heartbeats are working ?, I didnt think this was implemented ?. How does it work, do you point your crosshairs at someone and you can hear a heartbeat, the faster it goes means its a bandit?, can anyone explain this in more detail?

Heartbeats are working ?, I didnt think this was implemented ?. How does it work, do you point your crosshairs at someone and you can hear a heartbeat, the faster it goes means its a bandit?, can anyone explain this in more detail?

Yeah, that's basically it. I think it's the bigger the heartbeat the more people they've killed, but I'm not 100%.

This saved my ass the other day. I bumped into a guy that was all friendly. As we were both scouting out the church in Cherno for loot my mouse hovered over him momentarily & I heard the heartbeat. I did a runner & as I did he took a few shots at me.

I suggested to add face expressions, character face will look more like "bandit" face as you kill more players, Rocket said at Rezzed that he thought about adding scars etc.

I've got to say, I'm not actually sure why the majority of bandits would care if they can be identified as bandits. The argument that people will be able to tell from a distance that you're a bandit, and will shoot you on sight doesn't really hold water. Most players shoot people they don't know on sight at the moment, anyway, don't they? Snipers don't even get seen, so why does it matter? Robbers, or muggers, or highwaymen, or whatever you want to call them, shouldn't care, because by the time people can see you you're pointing a gun in their face anyway; so why should it matter? In fact, the only people it should matter to is the traitors; the people who insinuate themselves into a group and then shoot people in the back. They have the most to lose, as far I can see (and if they were the loudest against the idea of being identified, it wouldn't surprise me).

Is it just the idea of being irreversibly branded that irks people? Any bandits want to feedback on this? I'm really interested.

Sorry, wrong thread for that though. Just gets me thinking. Heartbeats aren't a system I can see myself utilising to any great degree. I'm not sure the lack of a heartbeat sound when I'm lining someone up in my crosshairs, particularly when they are watching me line them up in my crosshairs, is going to make me any more friends. See what I'm saying?

Edited by Hoogley

if a zombie apocalypse happened, and you need anything like this to differentiate friendlies from bandits, you won't live long. if you get killed by a bandit, and didn't put up a fight, you aren't playing properly.

the current system, or any other system to differentiate survivors and bandits, is lame.

the only reasonable way to start distinguishing between bandits and survivors, is customizable clothing (obviously this won't happen soon). then it's at the players discretion if they look like a bandit or not, but just like real life, you never know who you can trust

+1 @ OP

Edited by Haplo
  • Like 1

I suggested to add face expressions, character face will look more like "bandit" face as you kill more players, Rocket said at Rezzed that he thought about adding scars etc.

You get close enough to people to see their expressions? Your gun must be broken.

• Like 2

if a zombie apocalypse happened, and you need anything like this to differentiate friendlies from bandits, you won't live long. if you get killed by a bandit, and didn't put up a fight, you aren't playing properly.

the current system, or any other system to differentiate survivors and bandits, is lame.

the only reasonable way to start distinguishing between bandits and survivors, is customizable clothing (obviously this won't happen soon). then it's at the players discretion if they look like a bandit or not, but just like real life, you never know who you can trust

+1 @ OP

Yeah, I agree. That's my thoughts on the next experiment Rocket should try out. Give people the choice to ID themselves as bandits or not, and see if they take it. Like I said, I'm not sure why a bandit would care if they are visually identifiable, since there's only a limited number of circumstances where it would be a hindrance. At least this way, though, you're giving people the option, rather than forcing it on them. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people chose to skin as a bandit, just to prove they're badass. Particularly if you make the bandit skin look badass.

There's also a secondary benefit to this system, if you think about it; bandits and survivors alike can pay out on anyone who chooses to skin as a survivor but play like a bandit.

Edited by Hoogley

You get close enough to people to see their expressions? Your gun must be broken.

no I had an AS50 ;)

• Like 2