Sign in to follow this  
mindtrucks

On the topic of remorse/regret/guilt

So I was reading this other thread http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/37501-i-feel-bad/, and it got me thinking how this game is sooo unique in the way it makes me truly feel remorse and guilt whenever I do something "bad" or selfish against others.

You people feel the same way? Maybe some of you feel true joy when you kill a survivor after he has helped you (I hope you don't).

I think this is one of the reasons DayZ has become so popular, so fast. It actually plays with our emotions, makes us feel more intense feelings than any other games ever has.

If you have any stories about how your adventures and choices has made you feel, feel free to share them.

Some people will feel all these things because they manage to get immersed or to play a role. Mostly solo players IMO.

I believe that a majority of players only feel the recoil of their rifle when they shoot somebody, though.

Yep. I've got one.

The other day I was in Rogovo, casually by passing the town, when I saw another player. I decided to check him out. He had an an M4A1 CCO SD as his primary and an AS50 in his backpack [he went AFK for two minutes, which gave me time to check his gear]. So I decided to stalk him for a while. He was going through the forests heading north, checking deer stands, etc. He/we went west of the NWAF [good choice by him], and I figured out that he was searching for crashed heli loot spots [because he would go into tree lines and RG the open fields. By the time we made it to Lopatino about an hour and 35 minutes had passed. He still hadn't of noticed me [ghillie suit + my stealth = that result]. I was contemplating to whether or not kill him...I came to the decision of eliminating him. I don't really know why. So I took his AS50 out of his backpack, waited for him to run in an open field. I then fired a shot passed his head [intentionally] and he went prone immediately. [i was in a deer stand so I could see him clearly, but he didn't know my location.] I know he checked his backpack for the AS50 so he could try and countersnipe me. Moments later, after he checked his backpack, I heard him faintly on the direct coms saying to himself, "The fuckin' ninja stole my AS50". So that's when I ended his life.

I did feel a tad bit bad afterwards, knowing that he had walked for hours, only to end up dead.

Oh well. It was a fun stalk while it lasted.

Some people will feel all these things because they manage to get immersed or to play a role. Mostly solo players IMO.

I believe that a majority of players only feel the recoil of their rifle when they shoot somebody, though.

Yeah, that might have a lot to do with it. If you're talking in a mic with your friends making jokes all the time a lot of the immersion is taken away. I almost always play solo though, that's probably why it feels so intense for me.

Edited by Mindtraveling

Group of 5 of us, survivors, friendlies, under a blend of my and 2 other's command, driving our newly found UAZ through the forest to find a suitable camping spot. Suddenly we hear in the distance "FRIENDLY! FRIENDLY!"... through the windows... of a moving LOUD vehicle...

Why would someone yell friendly to a vehicle that has not spotted them? Perhaps a dumb decision, I order everyone out, and to scout in a 50 meter radius around the car. I LOVE making friends with strangers, and so when I hear someone in the distance I have an obligation to investigate and make some potential friends. Or help a potential survivor.

I throw a flare and order the strangers to

"Move towards the flare, weapons lowered, and we will not open fire"

They comply and move to the flare slowly, all of our weapons are on them, for our own safety. A MP5, and an AKM, with folks with Alice packs, in a VERY remote part of the world. My friendly nature wanted to invite them along since we did have 2 more seats, but of course this was not a good idea with the loot at stake, I order them to turn around, and walk.

They hesitate in doing this, and let them know they have 5 seconds to comply before they get shot.

They begin walking away, one of them runs away... good.

But then, one of them turns around and looks at us with his weapon raised from about 200 meters out.

"Open fire"

Shots rings out and the one that turned around has fallen. The one running is taken out after 2 shots of our team's .50 cal rang through the forest.

----

I felt absolutely awful, but I knew it was the only sane choice I had as the leader, being responsible for my men's lives. I gave the order, I am responsible, it is MY burden to bare. I feel horrible, but it was them, or possibly us... and those odds warranted their deaths.

Edited by Caviano
  • Like 1

I do feel shitty when I do something bad to someone else. Hell, I kind of feel shitty when I have to kill in defense.

"It didn't have to end like this."

I felt absolutely awful, but I knew it was the only sane choice I had as the leader, being responsible for my men's lives. I gave the order, I am responsible, it is MY burden to bare. I feel horrible, but it was them, or possibly us... and those odds warranted their deaths.

I understand how bad you must've felt, but like you said, it was the only sane thing to do. It's funny how we can feel bad about choices even though we know it was the right one.

First and Last thing I feel when I kill another player is RECOIL

my theory is if its not them that takes the bullet... its going to be you

my theory is if its not them that takes the bullet... its going to be you

Yeah that's how I usually think too. I started playing this just over a week ago but learned fast that people like to shoot on sight. Learning from my mistakes, I shoot every armed survivor who is close enough to be an immediate danger, unless they're screaming frantically in the mic begging me not to kill them. But still I can feel remorse..

"It didn't have to end like this."

I think most people shoot on sight simply because they fear for their hard-earned bloody loot, not because they want to kill.

Yeah that's how I usually think too. I started playing this just over a week ago but learned fast that people like to shoot on sight. Learning from my mistakes, I shoot every armed survivor who is close enough to be an immediate danger, unless they're screaming frantically in the mic begging me not to kill them. But still I can feel remorse..

I think most people shoot on sight simply because they fear for their hard-earned bloody loot, not because they want to kill.

yeah, you gotta do what you gotta do to survive...

I shot a survivor I crossed paths with the other day. At the time I was also getting attacked by zeds so had to finish them off then I went looking for the player who wasnt far away. He had a mate who was bandaging him. So I shot him again & killed him. I then chased his mate & killed him too. Then I recall the first guy I shot was originally just standing there looking at me with no weapon. So he was unarmed. Did I feel bad after? Hell yes. But then I thought back to how many times Ive been killed for a can o' beans and suddenly I didnt feel bad anymore.

I don't feel bad in the slightest. I honestly don't know how anyone can. Yea, it's a survival game, but shit. When it all boils down, it's still just a video game. But, that's just me.

I don't feel bad in the slightest. I honestly don't know how anyone can. Yea, it's a survival game, but shit. When it all boils down, it's still just a video game. But, that's just me.

Tying ethos pathos and logos into an activity is quite normal. It really makes the game 'pop' as it were.

The reason dayz can make me feel things I think is because I know how mad/frustrated you can get when you get killed. I know what a "waste of time" it feels like. I know that you get kinda attached to your gear and character. And bringing those feelings onto another person is what makes me feel remorse.