rocket

A question about infected speeds

If you feel no pain, you have no indication of how the body is responding to the actions you're taking. For example, if you decide to run on a stove, sure you might run for a bit without pain, but sooner or later you're going to burn all your skin tissue until there's nothing left but bone. Then you won't run anymore.

That's just the way I see it. I'm not for or against fast zombies, I think both can work with certain modifications.

For me it does not matter if they are fast or slow. I like both kind of zombies (infected and undead) IF they are done well. By that I mean sometimes when you fight the zombies the immersion gets destroyed, like many of other people here have said - by the zig zagging and that they have to stop to attack.

To echo other people, im not for or against the speed, i understand there are tradeoffs in regard to technical limitations, however the zigzagging needs to be fixed or limited somehow, i understand you should fear the zombies, but encounters boil down to twitch shooting, which arma just isnt designed for.

Zombies need to be close to the difficulty of other players in an encounter. Zig-zagging, sprinting zombies does that. Nerfing zombies in any way just marginalizes zombies more so than they already are.

They only spawn near buildings anyways. You should always have the drop on them not the other way around.

I love the zombie speeds, if you remove their speed, it becomes any other number of zombie games were you run and gun with no consequence.

Keep the zombies deadly, they didn't almost wipe out the population by being slower than humans.

Fix the zig zagging and keep the speed then the zombies would be on point. I dont think I ever recall seeing a zig zagging fast zombie in a movie. The sheer numbers of them already make them dangerous. I feel they are too dangerous when they zig zag since it is hard to shoot them while running at full speed while zig zagging.

The just need a very slight speed nerf and a reduction in zig-zagging and they'll be fine. I'm all for including shamblers in the game just for variety, but keep runners in as well.

People please research, the zig zagging is the arma 2 engine not dilberate, for some reason AI runs like this, if you play the campaign you will notice that they run in random zig zags and stuff. one mission you rescue a doctor and he fucking runs all over the place when he could get to this hut quicker... I hope it is fixable but its hard coded so probably not... Personally I would like to keep runners but make them slower, I like the way the walk inside. if they ran inside you would be so fucked and buildings would have no real use anymore!

I am not sure if it has been mentioned somewhere in the last six pages of comments as I do not have the time to read all of them at the moment, but I feel that it is important that I mention this in case someone else has not.

The zombies chase you forever currently. Literally forever with no limit, and no way to hide. If it is 100% "I can't see which gun I am holding" dark you should be able to go prone and hide from them in a bush or something. Some way to "possibly" escape rather than being required to stop, throw a flare, almost die while throwing it, and proceed to run backwards and fire within the flares light.

They should have some sort of trouble finding you or following you through the dark woods or streets so I can make a quick turn into a building, throw a can, and have them think I went that way and reverse course.

To kinda summarize this up for the people who do not wish to read all of this, pretty much it comes down to the current zombies speeds are awesome but there needs to be a way to hide prone in the dark and possibly throw the cans to divert the aggro when they cannot see / hear you. A zombie encounter should not 100% of the time lead to a death match.

Basically people want this:

- Fast zombies as they are now but without the ridiculous zigzagging and impossible turning speeds.

OR

- Slower zombies but with the problems mentioned above. If zombies become slower the zigzagging and stupid turns won't be as noticeable.

So please, if one of them cannot be implemented the other has to.

I think MOST zombies should be a bit slower than they are now. Sure they're killing machines and do not feel pain, but I feel that doesn't prevent them from being hindered by their own physical attributes. Most humans before they became your zombies, would not in tip top shape to begin with.

If it were possible, zombies of varying speed would make sense. Sure, there should be a zombie type that can sprint as fast as they currently do now(possibly identifiable to know they're of high target value?), just as there is a quadrupedal monkey-esque zombie.

Keeping up with this idea, there could also be zombies that are slow lurching at all times, fat and completely out of shape or perhaps just old and feeble. Maybe these ones could even be harder to take down. Well, not the old ones, you just put one in their head because you feel horrible for them.

If you are going to have more zombies then slow them down, its no fun aggroing a zombie and having him chase you from one side of the map to the other.

The whole point of a zombie is that they are dead and rotting, they shouldnt have superhuman vision/hearing/smell/sprinting because of the decay.

I have absolutly no problem with zombie speed. I like that actually, what bothers me is like other people stated is the way they turn on a dime crazy fast. I really dont mind them zigzaging, hell I want them to zigzag, otherwise it will be too easy, but the MAGNITUDE of the zigzag need to be lowered.

I disagree with some users that zombies should stop following you. Im REALLY happy that they NEVER STOP! <3

I also have absolutly no problem with the amount of zombies, just wanted to throw that out. Since there more zombies, there are less griefers, and Im not saying player killers, Im saying griefers. Players tend to play more intelligently, especialy if they want to kill other players, no more easy camping.

I just wish some of the zeds could Walk rather than run' date=' I'm a romero kind of guy...[/quote']

Yep. I agree. It won't ever happen unless the devs give us an option for 'fast' or 'standard' Zeds. Too many loud voices here shouting to keep them the way they are. A great pity. 'Shamblers' can be great fun and just as tense and exciting to play around, especially in large numbers. I hate the fast, zig-zag nature of the Z's at the moment. The 'bunny hoppers' also break the atmosphere.

DayZ comes so close to being the perfect zombie apocalypse experience, but fast Zeds just about kills it for me. I resent the way they almost entirely negate any chance of me playing a slow, strategic game of hide and seek against them. And I know the odds would be stacked against my survival in any zombie apocalypse but the numbers and speed of them in DayZ at the moment is ruining the experience for me. Keep the numbers and slow them down (and allow them to swarm) - that would be perfect.

I don't have an issue with the speed of the zombies. They are still humans and should be able to run as fast as a human. They don't have the problems that humans have of pain and therefore can run through the pain when a normal human would be tired, pulled a muscle etc.

The only tweeks I would do with the zombies is how quickly and easily the zombies "activate". I think they should have a line of sight so that if one zombie sees you and "activates" and it then alerts other zombies in the area, instead of those other zombies knowing where you are and gunning for you straight away, they should start heading towards your general direction but not "activate" and sprint after you until they can see you in their line of sight.

Same with alerting them with gun shots etc. They shouldn't know exactly where you are straight away but instead they should wander towards the sound until they can see you. That gives you the chance to hide in a building or in some bushes and wait them out. Only when they can see you they should sprint after you imo.

I don't have an issue with the speed of the zombies. They are still humans and should be able to run as fast as a human. They don't have the problems that humans have of pain and therefore can run through the pain when a normal human would be tired' date=' pulled a muscle etc.

The only tweeks I would do with the zombies is how quickly and easily the zombies "activate". I think they should have a line of sight so that if one zombie sees you and "activates" and it then alerts other zombies in the area, instead of those other zombies knowing where you are and gunning for you straight away, they should start heading towards your general direction but not "activate" and sprint after you until they can see you in their line of sight.

Same with alerting them with gun shots etc. They shouldn't know exactly where you are straight away but instead they should wander towards the sound until they can see you. That gives you the chance to hide in a building or in some bushes and wait them out. Only when they can see you they should sprint after you imo.

[/quote']

I agree with this. The speed isn't really an issue, its their obvious AI-controlled sense of hunting.

If a zombie is decayed and rotting, wouldn't they break their legs while running? If they are rotting, the muscle structure would not support movement. Either way, they still have weight, and weight + motion = momentum (something I teach those Pathfinders constantly in my heavy armor on Tribes Ascend, momentum's a pain lol) so yes, the almost glitchy juking the zeds do is what's killing the zombie experience.

I actually like the speed of the zombies; seeing multiple zombies in the corner of your eye darting towards you after a shot goes off is incredibly terrifying, just the way it should be.

I can see how people would dislike the zig-zagging which can be extreme at times (in some cases I've seen them perform almost 180 degree turns without any reduction in speed), but I find that it adds an extra layer of challenge to the game. Landing a headshot on a zig-zagging zombie is extremely satisfying.

Here's a couple of changes to zombie behaviour I'd like to see in the future (if possible):

- Ability to attack while moving.

- Ability to run while indoors.

Nedarb you got it all the wrong way round.. if they could run indoors then you would be absolutly fucked...

Being indoors makes you virtually untouchable from zombies' date=' and it's ridiculous. A wide-open barn shouldn't be a magical safe-haven from the horde of zeds chasing you.

Going indoors forces the zombies into choke-points; that's already a [b']HUGE advantage.

Forcing zeds to move at walking speed when indoors? That's about as close to easy-mode as it gets.

Being indoors makes you virtually untouchable from zombies' date=' and it's ridiculous. A wide-open barn shouldn't be a magical safe-haven from the horde of zeds chasing you.

Going indoors forces the zombies into choke-points; that's already a [b']HUGE advantage.

Forcing zeds to move at walking speed when indoors? That's about as close to easy-mode as it gets.

On the other hand, when a big zombie horde is walking slowly into a building they block the entrances very well making you trapped inside, and the only solution is to shoot your way out and waste your precious ammo in the process. If they ran indoors, especially with the warping that is inherent in the engine, it would be a total nightmare, and not in a good way.

I feel the only thing wrong with the infected's movement as it is the the fact that they are unable to attack while moving. As it is you can exploit the fact that they will stop to attack to get them to freeze in place while you shoot them. Also I would say if possible slow the speed it is possible to run backwards at so players must make distance with stairs/fences/ladders before attacking instead of just running backwards.

If the engine didn't make the zombies glitch around and zigzag I really wouldn't have a problem with the speeds of the zombies.

However, the engine DOES do that, and therefor they should be slowed down.

For me the zombies stays the biggest issue with that mod. They need to be completely remade from scratch: animation and pathfinding... They need to stay a threat that can beat you down easyly whatever is your gear. Actually with a good weapon you can dessimate a whole city just by running everywhere and then camp in a building and shoot them all one after another. Being able to do that is completely unrealistic (even when talking about zombie apocalypse) and it kills the spirit of the mod. The zombies abslutely have to be a bigger threat.

The fact that they all start to walk when they are inside a building is impossible for me.

About their speed, i don't think they are too fast since they don't go faster than you when you run at full speed. It's just their animation wich is wierdly quick. For me they could be faster, they are binary thinking and for your brain they should be running at unhuman speed because ignoring pain or exhaustion. They should be running until their muscles exoplode. We know that psycheatric sick people have amazing strength when they are in crisis, this should be the same.