Sign in to follow this  
SP00KEH

I got killed by a server hopper. I quit.

Humans always seek the path of least resistance, and always (ab)use any advantage possible. That's just in our nature, sad as it might be.

If someone can disconnect to avoid being killed, they will do so.

If someone can disconnect, log onto another server and flank you, then log back into your server, they will do so.

If someone can kill you without consequence, they will do so.

If someone can use cheats or scripts to gain an advantage, they will do so.

If you want a game, or people in general, to move in a specific direction you need to impose rules and whip them into place. Incentives only go so far, and are by far the least effective method of making humans follow directions.

There needs to be a mechanic that prevents and punishes people using logoffski to save themselves.

There needs to be a mechanic that prevents and punishes people logging off to flank or ambush people by moving "unseen" on other servers.

There needs to be features that encourage teamplay above deathmatch.

There needs to be a mechanic that prevents and punishes people for using cheats and scripts.

Until those things are implemented, this game will remain a deathmatch sniper simulator with the options to avoid death by logging off, or gaining advantages by abusing cheats, exploits and scripts.

Once you got your AS50, Ghillie Suit and have a camp with some friends, with plenty of food and drink... then where do you go from there? You get bored and go kill people, cause there's not really anything else to do. You got the best gear, you don't need to run into towns to get food and drink... the best you can hope for is being killed and start from scratch again.

So much truth in your post. I just reflected on my last play session and really 80% consisted of sniping people in the cities or at the airfield. I never disconnect or shit since you can get your stuff back in minutes if you know what to do, so I see it as a challenge to kill the sniper who killed me.

I gotta admit that the game in its current state is one of the best sniping simulations out there and sniping gives me the biggest thrill I've ever experienced in a video game so far. IMO they should remove all military snipers and just leave the CZ550 in game and make it rare as fu**.

This thread should come as a clear signal for the community to do some soul searching. Your ignorance, bias, and overall inability to recognize a system as being completely unforgivably broken shows how flawed many of you are deep down. Your blind love for DayZ is bringing out the worst in you all. I've seen flame trains on 4chan more sophisticated than this.

It's sad. Nothing more. You try to prove a point that it was the victims fault that the system is flawed.

Imagine if this was a trial in a courtroom. A company is being sued for a flawed product causing harm to somebody. It wouldn't be a very intelligent arguement if the company decided to say "Well it's their fault for using our product.".

Nobody is at fault here except for the product, or rather in this case people exploiting the flaw in the product.

In the end though. This is the internet. Everybody is retarded on the internet.

I 100% agree with what you are saying in principle. I wish there was some way to penalize server hoppers. I wish there was a way to punish combat disconnecters. These things do need to be remedied.

But regardless of how things SHOULD be, or things SHOULD go down in an ideal scenario, the fact of the matter is that you know how things work in this game. This is not an ideal world. You know that there are server hoppers. You know that there are people willing to exploit the system to get the upper hand. You know that the airfield is dangerous. So why in the hell would you wait around in what is not only one of the biggest hot spots for server hoppers, but also one of the most high value item spawns in the entire game? When all is said and done, you are responsible for your death. Tough break, but that's life in Day Z. Hopefully it's a learning experience for you if you decide to resume playing.

Edited by thesledge

You know that the airfield is dangerous. So why in the hell would you wait around in what is not only one of the biggest hot spots for server hoppers, but also one of the most high value item spawns in the entire game? When all is said and done, you are responsible for your death. Tough break, but that's life in Day Z. Hopefully it's a learning experience for you if you decided to resume playing.

you forgot the part where he was waiting for his friend to connect there too. you can't make this stuff up

everyone knows how the barracks are: you get in and get out. it ain't the place to hang out

Apparently you don't hang out over on the Diablo 3 forums often. This community is a pussy cat compared to the Diablo 3 community...

Are you implying Diablo 3 is an awesome game?

So you have every door covered? Next time wait in the corner where people can't spawn behind you. Lesson learned.

Oh you don't want to play? I try left 4 dead if might be more your taste.

I don't understand why you spawned in a such a risky area in the first place.

Your group fail, find a safe place to meet friends

People who says you are a kid are a bit dumb. Its not raging by dieing against zombies or other player, the problem is die because of a glitcher/hacker/bug. This mod is so fucked at the moment, and whoever says it isnt, its just retarded.

Fuck off then and leave and don't come back. You or anyone else that complains won't be missed.

You do realize what an Alpha is right, or is this your first time being in one. I bet you're one of those people that are like "ROCKET SUCKS, I PAID $30 for ARMA 2 COMBINED OPERATIONS, DAY Z SUCKS!"

In closing, fuck off and don't come back.

This may get me a warning from a moderator, but in all honesty you and people like the OP deserve it. Get over yourself, you lost your precious gear, start again.

Humans always seek the path of least resistance, and always (ab)use any advantage possible. That's just in our nature, sad as it might be.

If someone can disconnect to avoid being killed, they will do so.

If someone can disconnect, log onto another server and flank you, then log back into your server, they will do so.

If someone can kill you without consequence, they will do so.

If someone can use cheats or scripts to gain an advantage, they will do so.

If you want a game, or people in general, to move in a specific direction you need to impose rules and whip them into place. Incentives only go so far, and are by far the least effective method of making humans follow directions.

There needs to be a mechanic that prevents and punishes people using logoffski to save themselves.

There needs to be a mechanic that prevents and punishes people logging off to flank or ambush people by moving "unseen" on other servers.

There needs to be features that encourage teamplay above deathmatch.

There needs to be a mechanic that prevents and punishes people for using cheats and scripts.

Until those things are implemented, this game will remain a deathmatch sniper simulator with the options to avoid death by logging off, or gaining advantages by abusing cheats, exploits and scripts.

Once you got your AS50, Ghillie Suit and have a camp with some friends, with plenty of food and drink... then where do you go from there? You get bored and go kill people, cause there's not really anything else to do. You got the best gear, you don't need to run into towns to get food and drink... the best you can hope for is being killed and start from scratch again.

Laughable insight into human nature there.

There are many, maybe not a majority, but many players who will not use these advantages. It's called principles. As for the deathmatch/sniper whine, I generally don't even comment on that anymore, but I'll point out that a world full of killers, in and of itself promotes teamplay. You just won't be teaming up with anyone from ingame. Join a clan, and realize that building trust in a full PvP, full drop ruleset will never happen on the fly no matter what you do. Some clans might be a bit paranoid now though, especially seeing that once you have a 5-6 man team, you're set, you don't need to recruit more.

This will likely change with more group oriented content will come, but you will still need a clan. This is not WoW. You can't expect to get a LFG system, or whatever would practically amount to that here without ruining the game.

Look at Ultima Online and Trammel. I hope Rocket or the devs won't get sidetracked by that kind of nonsense. You might say, "Dude, UO had reds and blues", and I realize it's not a perfect analogy. This game is not a MMORPG like UO. I could live with some sort of humanity system, but punishing bandits, I will never abide, and luckily neither will Rocket.

Edit : @OP ; Hoppers are a blight, but standing around longer than necessary in one of the spots most frequented by hoppers, possibly waiting for your hopping friend is just stupid. I suspect you'll be back though. :)

Edited by jovial

Are you implying Diablo 3 is an awesome game?

Why is it that no matter where I go, Diablo 3 is always near? It follows me around, laughing at me for spending money on it. Will it ever end!?

Edited by Kozmas
  • Like 1

uh #1 ive killed people by loading in at barracks, however i wasnt technically server hopping. Its cheap, but thats the risk you take when you goto NW airfield, someone can server hop in at any minute.

#2 ive died and lost some really good stuff NV, GPS, m4a1 SD, DMR, m107 just about anything most players would consider good loot. But heres the deal, once i lost all that stuff, i literally respawned in elektro killed a guy and got NV, GPS and an m16 that easily. You never know whats gonna happen in day z. So ure a noob for quitting, but i understand ure pain. Give it a week or 2 and u'll be back lol.

#3 once u reach top tier pro status, you can lose all ure shit x3 and still be able to re up on everything. I have a secret campsite with a vehicles, whenever me or my friends die we just go back and are back to 100% fully geared. We have 3-4 coyote backpacks, 4x m4a1 camo sd's, 4 m16's, an fn fal, 3 m107's, a dmr, everything. and tools and ammo, basically everything you need for pro pvp. even have 2 mountain dews lol.

SO once you reach that status you can die 3-4 times and still have everything you need. as long as no one finds ure camp/vehicles. you may ask how i got all this stuff, Once I had a vehicle i could easily drive to 4-5 diff spots to loot weps and ammo, other supplies. drive back and drop the stuff off. also once you have a vehicle you will know some secret spots where you can get everything you need x5. However im not gonna reveal it to the public, but If you wanna pm me i can tell you how to get everything you need x5 within a day or 2.

If those issues are dealbreakers for you, it's probably best that you quit and come back later when the mod is more finished.I personally think it's getting boring that so many players disconnect to avoid death, but there's not much to do about at the moment other than getting instant kills (which can be hard against a seasoned exploiter, unless you have a .50 cal).

Lol how could he get the drop on you? He was still loading in, you probably could've killed him while he was stuck at "setup complete, please wait". Also it's your own fault for hiding in a spot that you know server hoppers frequent.

A majority of people will use exploits to avoid losing or dying in games, especially games as tough as DayZ, as long as it is possible and not penalized.

Some, as you say, have principles.

I know a case where someone was on day 43 with very nice gear, then got pinned down in a building. Options? Log off, change server and move to safety then log back onto server or fight it out. He chose the latter and unfortunately was killed. I know a majority of people would pussy out in that situation.

I was in a similar situation just today when me and a pal entered a barn, then he got shot in the back going out.. And there was only one door out. My options? Log off, ghost out via another server or stay. I stayed, asked my other friends on TS to come scout the barn to make sure it was safe for me to exit, while I was in corner, covering door. I was half expecting the guy to ghost in behind me in the barn considering the focus on that "tactic" lately. However, we cleared area and I left safely.

Despite cases like that, and people not using exploits, a majority still does (and quite often call you a moron for not using the means you can to win) and will continue to do so until there are mechanics in place to prevent them. If you think a majority of players go by the rules because someone tells them to, with no consequences in place, then try any FPS game out there with FF=On and TK penalties off. See how far that gets you.

I think people are taking this a little too personally - the OP hasn't responded in a fair while, why are the posts still coming in?

I think letting this thread die is a better option than constantly updating it with the same thing that's been said countless times already.

-MONSTER

one does not simply quit dayz

An unwatched community makes for a pathetic experience. I'm not sure what process went into being a moderator, but popularity should not hav been a factor.

We need new rules that ban people for low content/pointless posts. Anything that doesn't politely contribute needs to be weeded out.

In short, we need the decent people to be the voice, not the tear-trolls, only then will the game start to turn around for the better.

I really wish I could just have my own passworded server so I could avoid shit like this.

Peace. I give up on DayZ.

So host one, what's the problem? More and more private servers are popping up because of issues like this.

Server hopping is lame as fuck and only losers do it, the same sorta scumbags that install aimbots and wallhacks. That's my two pence on it.

That said its something we have to put up with and learn to deal with just like the glitches.

Exact same thing happened to me and a m8 yesterday, we were looting the airfield and a server hopper got the drop on him in the barracks. Fortunately my m8 was quick to the trigger and took the tosser down as well before he died.

I looted both corpses of all the good stuff I could take then put the rest into the bag on my mates corpse and hid both bodies to prevent any of his mates getting anything. I got the fuck outa there after that.

Words of advice:

Don't get attached to any gear, you will lose it in the lamest and most irritating fashion at some point. Deal with it.

Always assume there is someone there especially around high value places like the airfields. The fact you're there says it all.

When looting buildings like barracks, supermarkets and hospitals be quick and expect a server hopper to suddenly appear. Have a friend cover the building if you can and always shoot on sight, server hoppers always will.

Edited by Longs

The DayZ community is like a group of Maggots scrambling for food. At any point if they have the chance to treat Rocket and the game as a holy masterpiece they will. I was on the forums for a whole week before I saw people repeating stupid excuses like "It's Alpha." Because you know, you can't complain about something that is broken but you can sure as hell say it is the best mod/game ever even though it is in alpha. "Lol tears, I want some." As if some dumbfuck is sitting at his computer stroking himself because complaining about someone complaining will gain him epic kudos on the internet. "Bai don't let the door hit you on the way out." Pretty much showing the community is not supportive at all, and doesn't even bother to get their lazy asses up and help someone or tell Rocket when something needs to be fixed ASAP. There are many more comments but they are so cut and dry and so stereotypical that it is not even worth mentioning. Sad thing is a lot of these idiots say they are in the military or show themselves in some army gear as their profile pic, and us eit as some excuse that any game with a gun in it, it makes them an expert. Part of the reason the Military is getting bad press. Because they act smug.

Edited by iomegadrive1
  • Like 2

The DayZ community is like a group of Maggots scrambling for food. At any point if they have the chance to treat Rocket and the game as a holy masterpiece they will. I was on the forums for a whole week before I saw people repeating stupid excuses like "It's Alpha." Because you know, you can't complain about something that is broken but you can sure as hell say it is the best mod/game ever even though it is in alpha. "Lol tears, I want some." As if some dumbfuck is sitting at his computer stroking himself because complaining about someone complaining will gain him epic kudos on the internet. "Bai don't let the door hit you on the way out." Pretty much showing the community is not supportive at all, and doesn't even bother to get their lazy asses up and help someone or tell Rocket when something needs to be fixed ASAP. There are many more comments but they are so cut and dry and so stereotypical that it is not even worth mentioning. Sad thing is a lot of these idiots say they are in the military or show themselves in some army gear as their profile pic, and us eit as some excuse that any game with a gun in it, it makes them an expert. Part of the reason the Military is getting bad press. Because they act smug.

I would weep for the next generation, but I don't cry. I only shake my head and leave the world behind.

Think about it, these trolls? They're the one that'll be raising kids...that will be even worse than they are.

I think people are taking this a little too personally - the OP hasn't responded in a fair while, why are the posts still coming in?

I think letting this thread die is a better option than constantly updating it with the same thing that's been said countless times already.

-MONSTER

It's the ol' "mob" mentality here Monster. Each person joins the thread, reads the post, and then the replies and quickly feels compelled/obligated to jump in with their two cents. It's a bit sad really, and very childish. People just like shouting and moaning, most don't even care about the subject..

I would weep for the next generation, but I don't cry. I only shake my head and leave the world behind.

Think about it, these trolls? They're the one that'll be raising kids...that will be even worse than they are.

My children will be serial killers.