Sign in to follow this  
sheephunter

Matches & knives are too rare.

My suggestion is: Matches and knives should be WAY more prolific ingame.

Matches are usually the last item I find, even after days of wandering and searching. Knives I find a bit more often, but still they are rare (compared to goddamned HATCHETS!!!!) No word of a fucken lie...I raided a barn and there were 8 motherfucken hatchets in it....I know because I went around and counted them twice....Come on codey dudes...really?

This is really unrealistic. Every single house would have a boatload of knives and definitely a box of matches or two (or orther forms of fire-starting equipment -but it's easier to just code more matches.)

These are both things along with watches, that Z's could have on them as loot. Come on, who carries a can of pasta around with? (don't get me wrong, I LIKE having the Z's having usable loot on them, but if I went out and randomly mugged somebody...what would they be likely to be carrying...a watch? a pocket knife? a lighter/box of matches? a can of pasta?)

Disclaimer: I know it's Alpa, I'm being patient blah blah

• Like 1

Zombies should no longer drop cans of anything. Instead they should have a high chance to drop a watch, a moderate chance to drop a knife or matches, and a very low low chance to drop a 45 revolver or makarov(beleive it or not but a decent amount of people conceal carry and zombies should have a chance even if small.)

Zombies should no longer drop cans of anything. Instead they should have a high chance to drop a watch, a moderate chance to drop a knife or matches, and a very low low chance to drop a 45 revolver or makarov(beleive it or not but a decent amount of people conceal carry and zombies should have a chance even if small.)

I agree.

I also feel that the military zombies should drop military BDUs that you can wear.

I get you on the realism part, but they should be much more RARE game-play wise. It NEVER takes me long to find matches or a knife. Matches are more rare for sure, but I usually have a rifle, pack, hatchet, knife, matches, watch, compass in my first hour. Usually more like 30 mins to get 3/4 of those items.

Gotta brave the cities, get your kit, then get out. Or hit the higher values like offices, stores, or castles more to the north. If you are crawling through every outhouse, shack and lean-to then yeah, it's gonna take a while.

Edited by DayZPvP.com
  • Like 2

I agree.

I also feel that the military zombies should drop military BDUs that you can wear.

Me too. Not a zombie drop though, just mixed with the regular skins. Make them all like 3 times more rare (make ghillie only spawn in military) and make the BDU's right under ghillie, above the "cammo" brown T-shirt guy.

Edited by DayZPvP.com

Find the grocery stores and you will most likely find matches. The other day I had 3 sets of matches so that I can share with people or trade. Its too bad that players arent fans of trading anymore...

Yah this shit is ridiculous, I cannot find away to replenish blood solo before I die. I cannot give myself a blood bag(WTF) and the spawn of knives and matchs are way to low. I will come across 100 hatchets before I can complete my knife+matchs combo. I just spent 2 days scowering the country side including trips to Devils Castle and the Int Airstrip, and every dear hunter shack inbetween. I found weapons, food, drink, ammo, all sorts of shit but no knife or matchs. I needed cooked food or a friendly to give me one of my own blood bags but sadly I could not find either. My blood just got slowly chiped away from wall clipping + glitchy zombies and I died. The solo experince of this game can be far too punishing just for the simple fact of how hard it is to replenish blood.

Edited by Progamer

Basically, if I understand this right, things like grocery stores or anything that has a chance of militaty loot can spawn a knife or matches among other things. You can also find canned food in grocery stores which restore blood when eaten. I for one seem to find many maps, binos, knives, matches but hardly any compass.

200 blood? from a can of beans, great, that is less than 2% of my total blood, let me just find 40 more of those to get me back to full....

Edited by Progamer

I tend to find knives and matches fairly easily, that isn't to say though that they are "rare".

Where do you look for them OP?

I think there should be quite common Ghillie suited Zombies carrying L85's, NVG's, a map, compass and matches.

Or maybe not.

Throwing my two cents in here.

I'm swimming in knives and hatchets. I just came across a barn with 4 hatchets in it, and not much else. WTF were those farmers doing in there?

Will check grocery for matches though. Have not yet found any. : /

Also, any good links regarding the first hour of gameplay? A gun, any gun, a knife, a hatchet, and some matches means you can at least cover food/blood. No idea where to get all these things.

I find PILES of knives, but I agree that matches are too rare. Especially since it's the only way to start a fire. You can find Oil barrels, but there's like 4 in the entire map and they're in set places.

Matches and knives + hatchet and water bottle are the only things you need to survive forever in the forest near a waterplace without ever need to go back to the zombies, to civilization. Thus, they are rare to stick you to the zombies and populated areas to create conflict with other people + with zombies. simple :D

What I suggest is this:

Make it possible to light a fire with road flares.

What I feel this accomplishes is that it allows early game use of cooked meat (Assuming you can find a knife) for solo play however, it still keeps the worth of using a box of matches in that matches still go in your tool bar and not take up valuable inventory space.

Matches are rare now (I got mine after killing a player) but Ive found about 4 knives since starting my new character recently.

who runs around with a can of pasta? people trying to survive in a zombie apocalypse?

i agree that there should be a limit on how many hatchets can spawn in the same farmhouse/barn or general farm area, its not fun to run 30min to get to a farm and find nothing but a halfdozen or more hatchets and a couple of shotgun shells,

Edited by Morotstomten

Matches are usually the last item I find, even after days of wandering and searching. Knives I find a bit more often, but still they are rare (compared to goddamned HATCHETS!!!!) No word of a fucken lie...I raided a barn and there were 8 motherfucken hatchets in it....I know because I went around and counted them twice....Come on codey dudes...really?

This is really unrealistic. Every single house would have a boatload of knives and definitely a box of matches or two (or orther forms of fire-starting equipment -but it's easier to just code more matches.)

These are both things along with watches, that Z's could have on them as loot. Come on, who carries a can of pasta around with? (don't get me wrong, I LIKE having the Z's having usable loot on them, but if I went out and randomly mugged somebody...what would they be likely to be carrying...a watch? a pocket knife? a lighter/box of matches? a can of pasta?)

I reckon there perfect atm sometimes to easy to find for me.

Matches and knives + hatchet and water bottle are the only things you need to survive forever in the forest near a waterplace without ever need to go back to the zombies, to civilization. Thus, they are rare to stick you to the zombies and populated areas to create conflict with other people + with zombies. simple :D

Can you fill empty liquor bottles with water as well?