Sign in to follow this  
SoloSmith

Basic Newbie Help

Firstly, sorry if these have been answered elsewhere but I checked a couple of the stickies as well as a quick Google, but to no avail. I'm having some problems with DayZ.

Are you meant to spawn with a weapon? A lot of videos I've seen spawn players with a pistol, guessing updates may have removed this but seems impossible to get anywhere near a town without attracting some kind of attention.

Backpack, my backpack has disapeared twice. Once while swimming, the other time I'm not sure I just noticed it was gone. Includes all items etc "G" does nothing and it wasn't anywhere nearby. Is this something I'm doing or a bug?

Lastly, how do you change your username?

I'm sure I'll come up with more but these are hindering my play at the moment, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Solo

Edited by SoloSmith
  • Like 1

Swimming will cause you to lost all the items in your backpack, not sure about the other case

• Like 1

you no longer start with a weapon.

you will definitely lose your items if you go swimming. i lost a lot of good stuff once from this and couldnt figure it out. you will keep your pistol weapon-slot though (just bags and main weapon get lost i believe)... the second time you probably swam and just didnt notice it til later.

one way to ditch the attention you get (from zombies) is to run through an enterable house (preferably with two exits) since the zombies can not run indoors. this should give you enough time to find a weapon, or escape through the other side without getting beaten to a pulp/lose blood.

im only assuming here so forgive me if you know this, but there are a few set models of buildings that you can enter. if you havent yet seen it, go to dayzdb.com and use their map until you can find one in game (kinda cheap but i feel its a must, since i am still fairly new to the game) most of the BIG squares/circles are buildings that may have a weapon, or will have two exits for you to ditch zombies in.

• Like 1

heres a video that tells you how to change your name very simple and very short

this is how i learned to do it

• Like 1

How do I use a bandage, flares, and other objects? I've tried using the scroll menu but nothing pops up. What do I do?

• Like 1

-Right click on bandages/food/drink/morphine to use them yourself.

-If another player needs bandaging/morphine, you get the option in your mouse menu, if you're near.

-Flares is a thrown object, like empty cans/bottle, chemlight, smoke- and handgrenades.

-Press F to switch weapon mode to flare/throw/grenade, use left mouse to throw, the longer you hold, the longer you throw.

-Don't throw while lying prone, holding a handgun, it's bugged and you'll end up sitting up and probably accidentally throw the item at your feet. If you need to throw prone, make sure you have rifle.

-Zombies walk slowly towards road flares, investigate the light and then continues(only at night?).

-Zombies investigate the sound of thrown whiskey bottles and empty cans.

-Zombies rush and attack smoke grenades.

-Chemlight highlights the person carrying it and lights up the ground around, blue is best(decent light/hardest to detect).

-Throw it to pick it up and carry it, but be ready to drop/extinguish if you think stragers are close(100-200m).

-If you use a road flare, throw it a bit away from the place you want to search, so zombies walk away and stay away from the light, so hostile player wont spot you easily. If you use flares in an area, get in and out safely, but remember, people will easily spot the bright light from 500-1000meters, so don't stay in the area for too long.

• Like 3

can change your name by going to arma 2 menu and clicking on profiles and create new, no people dont spawn with guns anymore unless your reverted to an older version of the mod, and as of your backpack?? LOL def doesnt sound right should probably do a reinstall or if you can just avoid going into the water;)

• Like 1

flares can be changed to by hitting " F " also " F " changes between burst's on weapons, bandages you hit " G " and then right click and then hit " bandage myself " fire axes you have to not have anything in your main weapon slot then right click in " G " and hit " remove from tool belt " flash lights act the same way except you must not have anything in your sidearm slot then you would have to hit " L " to turn on the flashlight.

-Right click on bandages/food/drink/morphine to use them yourself.

-If another player needs bandaging/morphine, you get the option in your mouse menu, if you're near.

-Flares is a thrown object, like empty cans/bottle, chemlight, smoke- and handgrenades.

-Press F to switch weapon mode to flare/throw/grenade, use left mouse to throw, the longer you hold, the longer you throw.

-Don't throw while lying prone, holding a handgun, it's bugged and you'll end up sitting up and probably accidentally throw the item at your feet. If you need to throw prone, make sure you have rifle.

-Zombies walk slowly towards road flares, investigate the light and then continues(only at night?).

-Zombies investigate the sound of thrown whiskey bottles and empty cans.

-Zombies rush and attack smoke grenades.

-Chemlight highlights the person carrying it and lights up the ground around, blue is best(decent light/hardest to detect).

-Throw it to pick it up and carry it, but be ready to drop/extinguish if you think stragers are close(100-200m).

-If you use a road flare, throw it a bit away from the place you want to search, so zombies walk away and stay away from the light, so hostile player wont spot you easily. If you use flares in an area, get in and out safely, but remember, people will easily spot the bright light from 500-1000meters, so don't stay in the area for too long.

also when throwing grenades hold the left mouse button to throw it farther! a simple click will throw it not far at all and if its a grenade you better run lol blast radius is a bitch.

Thanks for all the information guys. I tried swimming again today, didn't lose a thing. Guess there's a random mechanic involved. Got all the info I need to survive now :D

If only I can get into a server that doesn't get stuck on loading for 20 minutes >.<

Thanks again

Edited by SoloSmith

One more quick question, how to commit suicide?

I'm stuck in a hospital behind glass and have no way to break it :s lol

Do you have a hatchet? If you do right click and remove from toolbelt, then your hatchet can be used as a weapon to break glass.

Press escape to open menu, press the respawn button to kill yourself. Remember whenever you change any settings, the only thing you have to keep in mind is to not to press respawn by accident.

Edited by Dallas

Did not know about zombies being attracted to thrown whiskey bottles or cans... I'll have to try that tonight. Thanks!!

if you want swim you need to drop your bag and primary gun+ items, but you can keep pistol, ammo for it and badages