Sign in to follow this  
Worrun (DayZ)

Where are all the animals?

Yesterday I spend 4 real-time hours running through the woods and hills and all sorts of terrains and did not see a single animal. Don't get me wrong, I stop all the time and scan the horizon and other areas, I even came across 3 men with guns running along in the forest (I let them pass while hiding in prone)

But yeah, 4 hours in the forest most of which was day time but I spend about 40 minutes of night time too with a flashlight and not a single thing.

Is it just me or should there be more animals? I ran from my spawn point (on the coast somewhere) and died in Vyshnoye (which is almost half way inland) from starvation.

Edited by Worrun

Rabbits and boar are found in forest. There are plenty for rabbits though.

Cows and sheep in large fields.

Look harder, they are there.

If it's daytime in the server, small white circles will form on the side of your screen if there is an animal, or zombie out of your line of sight. I use this to my advantage :)

Rabbits and boar are found in forest. There are plenty for rabbits though.

Cows and sheep in large fields.

Look harder, they are there.

If it's daytime in the server, small white circles will form on the side of your screen if there is an animal, or zombie out of your line of sight. I use this to my advantage :)

Damnit I totally noticed that today! I just thought it was a sunglare or a plant or something and payed completely no attention to it :D

Thanks mate

I found a boar not long ago, as someone has said before, they're there, just hard to come by. :P

Another question, what are Deer stands and are they common? I didn't come across any of those in my travels and didn't find a single box of matches, hunting knife or anything used to kill animals.. out in the wilderness. :(

Such a learning curve on this game I tells ye'

This only works on regular servers though, not the veteran settings. I prefer to have this setting turned off whenever possible.

This only works on regular servers though, not the veteran settings. I prefer to have this setting turned off whenever possible.

Damn you! Next time I'm starving I expect your last can of beans :)

Deer stands can be found on the maps you can find online, such as http://dayzmap.info/ , or http://dayzdb.com/map#4.069.072 , they are marked as little huts on stilts and are scattered around in the mountain areas (usually overlooking a field). There are around 75 of them. If you click on one of them on either map it will popup a list of items you are likely to find there and their spawn percentage.

Edited by SystemiK

Ii would just like to poi t out that four real time hours is equal to 4 in game hours. The game runs on a 24 day cycle in real time of the server area.

I find sheep everywhere, then they taste my revolver because I like my meat destroyed.

Another question, what are Deer stands and are they common? I didn't come across any of those in my travels and didn't find a single box of matches, hunting knife or anything used to kill animals.. out in the wilderness. :(

Such a learning curve on this game I tells ye'

'I tells ye'

Now that sounds Ulster-scots, or just plain B'mena hey?

So which side o' the local pond ya from? :)

after many days of searching, I FINALLY have everything I need to have a bbq. took me forever to find a box of matches - ridiculous. However, I now have a hatchet + box of matches and am in the forest. Time to hunt me some steaks :P

'I tells ye'

Now that sounds Ulster-scots, or just plain B'mena hey?

So which side o' the local pond ya from? :)

North Wales :P

after many days of searching, I FINALLY have everything I need to have a bbq. took me forever to find a box of matches - ridiculous. However, I now have a hatchet + box of matches and am in the forest. Time to hunt me some steaks :P

You need a Hunting Knife too I think bro

• Like 1

Vyshnoye, the city you starved in has a deer stand just North-West of it. And Zombies carry food and drinks loot. The next time if you are in that situation again, just pop a few zombies in the head and you may find the much needed dayz combo meal.

Vyshnoye, the city you starved in has a deer stand just North-West of it. And Zombies carry food and drinks loot. The next time if you are in that situation again, just pop a few zombies in the head and you may find the much needed dayz combo meal.

From the time my Food Indicator was red to the time of death I must have killed and searched 15 - 20 zombies in a mad desperate attempt. Only found Empty Whiskey Bottles and Soda :(

A good idea is to use the DayZ Map http://dayzdb.com/map so that you can raid buildings for food aswell if critical and you cant find any animals. Also dont fill up directly as the indicator shiftes from green always wait until it get red before you eat or drink. In that way you save some more time to find food or water. I hope you make it out there...

I found a bore but my inventory was full so I couldn't store the meat, so I was like ah well I have plenty of food. fast forward 3 hours I'm running around the map trying to find a bloody rabbit or anything for some meat ....

damn it.

I must guess there's really a problem with the animals. Since yesterday i walked half the map and only see rabbits. Now i'm close to death. Don't know what it is but i'm pretty sure there's something wrong.

i tend to find animals wondering around in the north west airfield, kinda funny to be honest lol. i found couple of bores at forest places and cows in large fields.

i like the dayzmap.info better :D its cleaner und not so overloaded

Edited by The L!ne

From the time my Food Indicator was red to the time of death I must have killed and searched 15 - 20 zombies in a mad desperate attempt. Only found Empty Whiskey Bottles and Soda :(

Damn, tough break mate. When you don't need them, they just sprout like weeds. I kept getting cans of pastas, sardines and coke from every zombies I kill and I didn't even need them.

If you are at full health when your health start dropping due to starvation you have about 8min before you pass out...that is plenty of time to get some food.

Just learn how to navigate and you'll never be out of food or water again.

If you prioritize food and water before an extra gun you'll be fine!

//Terrorfish

I must guess there's really a problem with the animals. Since yesterday i walked half the map and only see rabbits. Now i'm close to death. Don't know what it is but i'm pretty sure there's something wrong.

You dont eat rabbits?

I remember chasing a bunny with an axe due to desperation. I chased him for like a minute all around the trees, the little bugger was darting around like crazy and kept dodging my axe blows. I kept chasing him and then he lead me straight into a boar that was just standing there. I let the bunny go and sunk my axe into the boar then collected all the meat. Went to a tree to get some wood for a fire, as I collect the wood the bunny runs around the tree and off again. I couldn't believe it, I was going to start chasing him again but I thought I'd let him go :P

last night i pointed my DMR at 5+ cows, 4+goats, 2 sheep, an uncountable number of rabbits scaring me in the woods and a chicken

animals are fine, and that was on a nice little jog from rogovo up to berezino then off to grishino ..... thats just what i can remember seeing

zombies near barns and around farmer's fields are the best if your desperate for food out and about in the wilds, much more likley to carry food then Z's in town ive found