Sign in to follow this  
mythTECH (DayZ)

Banning ALT-F4'ers?

Hello, I have just a quick question about banning within a server.

Can you kick someone who ALT F4's? As in, today for example, I saw a player and shot him with my M4A1. I could see he was bleeding and then suddeny *poof* he was gone, could that guy get banned from our server?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 2

Not sure, I dislike noobs who ALT F4 just as any other person here, but banning them is like saying "you'll get punished for disconnecting in a game" - players should always have the right to disconnect whenever they see fit. Only problem right now is that there are no countermeasures built-in, e.g. : to keep their entity in the server for 5 seconds after the disconnect.

Directly from one of Rocket's posts in the Announcement Forum:

In short, their are only two reasons why you, as a server owner, should ban a player on your server. Those two reasons are: Malicious talk, and racism. You may not ban a user for stealing your loot, killing you, spying on you, etc.

Edited by thmsrox

Not sure, I dislike noobs who ALT F4 just as any other person here, but banning them is like saying "you'll get punished for disconnecting in a game" - players should always have the right to disconnect whenever they see fit. Only problem right now is that there are no countermeasures built-in, e.g. : to keep their entity in the server for 5 seconds after the disconnect.

Directly from one of Rocket's posts in the Announcement Forum:

In short, their are only two reasons why you, as a server owner, should ban a player on your server. Those two reasons are: Malicious talk, and racism. You may not ban a user for stealing your loot, killing you, spying on you, etc.

Ah lame. I understand about giving the players the right to disconnect but surely their right should go when under fire, simply because that's just unfair on the guy who rightly killed the player.

So we can do nothing against people who are openly exploiting the game? Great. <_<

• Like 1

Ah lame. I understand about giving the players the right to disconnect but surely their right should go when under fire, simply because that's just unfair on the guy who rightly killed the player.

So we can do nothing against people who are openly exploiting the game? Great. <_<

The exploit is being worked on though. Hopefully we wont have to bear with it a few patches from now. Some servers ban for the exploit regardless, or atleast that's what their introductory messages said when I connected. Can't exactly recall which ones though. Pretty sure they were UK servers, incase you'd rather make home in one of them.

Anders said that you shouldn't because there is generally a lack of proof...

That said, I think that, in reality, you'd be fine doing so. Just make sure you don't make a mistake!

Edited by andb52

Anders said that you shouldn't because there is generally a lack of proof...

That said, I think that, in reality, you'd be fine doing so. Just make sure you don't make a mistake!

No, in reality, you are not allowed to without proof of him/her disconnecting to avoid death/combat.

Also mythTECH I think there's about a 10+ page thread about the server owners wanting to ban players straight up about this topic, so I'd say you should go have a looksie through that and that'll definitely answer your question.

It's a frustrating thing to have happen but it isn't bannable, as someone has said earlier.

I personally think that it should be, I had a huge discussion with friends about it today, but because of the possibility, however low it may be, of someone disconnecting in a 'legit' fashion as your attempting a murder on them, they may wind up with a ban from something completely out of their control.

I'm sure alt+f4ing will be bannable in the future, or it will be incapable of doing. But as of now, Rockets only two things are racism and malicious talk. Of course, if there's a hacker who is blatantly hacking no one will blame you if you ban them.

Edited by BobJoeXXI

would be nice to add a feature: not being able to disconect while in combat, or needing few secs to do it. wouldnt stop those who disconect and conect in another server to get your back but at least would stop the alt f4's...

ban him, its your server and who gives a shit what any threat of blacklist is. They won't do it until they start blacklisting protected and locked servers.

The quote is mostly likely taken out of complete context, -if- that's the only two reasons we can ban people for, then we're not allowed to ban hackers either.

Also, rocket has made a thread/post where he explicitly stated that combat disconnecting -is- an exploit, so it seems logical to assume that as you're allowed to treat them as any other hacker and exploiter.

• Like 1

You're not going to get blacklisted for banning an exploiter, if you have proof.

• Like 1

You're not going to get blacklisted for banning an exploiter, if you have proof.

Well We have Server Logs, and I am always recording all our encounters as I am the PDM ... so that should be more than enough proof.

Well We have Server Logs, and I am always recording all our encounters as I am the PDM ... so that should be more than enough proof.

In that case, I'd recommend you terminate him :)

In that case, I'd recommend you terminate him :)

Thanks for your support ^^

The quote is mostly likely taken out of complete context, -if- that's the only two reasons we can ban people for, then we're not allowed to ban hackers either.

Also, rocket has made a thread/post where he explicitly stated that combat disconnecting -is- an exploit, so it seems logical to assume that as you're allowed to treat them as any other hacker and exploiter.

I agree the quote itself wasn't on this topic in particular, found you another topic though where he agrees it's an exploit. Nobody is talking about going as far as banning people for it though.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/6718-disconnecting-to-avoid-death/

As you can see it is being worked on, but banning people from the entire game and sharing these guids amongst the network while there isn't always 100% proof involved is stupid. You will be punishing people that don't deserve it, while all u have to do right now is bear with it on this alpha patch.

I agree the quote itself wasn't on this topic in particular, found you another topic though where he agrees it's an exploit. Nobody is talking about going as far as banning people for it though.

http://dayzmod.com/f...to-avoid-death/

As you can see it is being worked on, but banning people from the entire game and sharing these guids amongst the network while there isn't always 100% proof involved is stupid. You will be punishing people that don't deserve it, while all u have to do right now is bear with it on this alpha patch.

Then die cause the dude reconnects behind you ... meh

Banned people will get unbanned once the "fix" will be set and is working ... till then, it's a ban from our server if you disconnect right in front of us while in combat ...

Now don't take this out of context,

We will only ban people who are clearly active in game and alt f4 the moment thay get shot.

I understand that some people may be afk, and it can be a coincidnece if thay dissconnect when we decide to engage, those will have the benefice of doubt. But people who are running, moving, shooting at us ... and who Alt+F4 when we shoot them will get banned.

The game is about Survival, and survival is not about being careless, running in the open (basically yelling "shoot me") and dissconnecting the moment someone shoots at them ...

Be fair play and accept your faith / the concenquences of your lack of stealth.

The game was not meant to be played that way and it has been stated as an exploit.

And to be perfectly clear, we do not ban because someone "says" that someone dissconnected in front of them ... we will only ban if we are direct whitnesses of the abuse.

We are always recording our encounters, and have the server logs as proof if need be.

Have fun everyone, and be fair play.

Edited by P5ykoOHD

Don't want to be a douchebag about it. You do as you see fit on your server, I will not be affected by it. I just hope you wont bend your own rules to your own benefit as you are probably not going to post a recording from each person you ban, and even if you do I'm sure some people will find a debate in every recording aswell.

Gl and may you find beans on your travels.

• Like 1

Don't want to be a douchebag about it. You do as you see fit on your server, I will not be affected by it. I just hope you wont bend your own rules to your own benefit as you are probably not going to post a recording from each person you ban, and even if you do I'm sure some people will find a debate in every recording aswell.

Gl and may you find beans on your travels.

I do not bend my own rules ... And will never do it.

Don't want to be known as an abuser, and yes I record everything and upload. If requested by a dev or the person who got banned, I will list the video for them to see and prove I am not abusing.

Thanks, best wishes to you aswell.