Publik

Misc additions for further player fortifications

One of the fundamental problems I see with DayZ is that players have very little ability to impact their world. The most we can do is place a tent, barbed wire, tank trap, sandbag, or a newly added bear-trap. Here are some additions I'd like to see to allow players to more impact their world:

Some new items (bold may require new models):

• Metal Wall - Place-able like other fortifications, a tall metal wall, maybe 2m high and 2m wide. Can only be removed with crowbar and toolbox.
  • Gate - Place-able like other fortifications, similar to metal wall. Creates a small gate that can be opened/closed. Can only be removed with crowbar and toolbox.
  • Large Gate - Similar to the large ones at Balota medical tents, functions the same as the above gate. Can only be removed with crowbar and toolbox.
  • Large Sandbag - Similar to current sandbags, but much larger (2m tall and 5m wide). Can only be removed/placed with entrenching tool.
  • Spotlight - 4-5m tall, has a small spotlight on top. Requires a generator nearby to be activated.
  • Barrel - Similar to the ones that can be found in Cherno. A metal barrel that can be lit. Offers more light/heat than a fireplace, and wood burns twice as long. Takes 6 slots to carry.
  • Rain Barrel - Alternate use of Barrel. Fills with water when it rains. Can fill 1 canteen per minute of heavy rain.

• Noise Trap (Glass) - Whiskey bottle attached to tripwire. Breaks and creates noise when crossed. Can be vaulted over. Can only be broken once.
  • Noise Trap (Cans) - Cans attached to tripwire. Makes noise whenever crossed. Can be vaulted over. Does not break when crossed.
  • Grenade Trap - Cluster of hand grenades on a tripwire. Explodes shortly after being crossed.
  • Flare Trap - Flare attached to tripwire. Lights flare when crossed.
  • Military Tripwire - Military grade IR tripwire. Loud klaxon when triggered, can only be disabled by being broken or by the owner. Tripwire can be seen with NVGs.

• Bear Bag - Small bag that can be attached to some trees. Holds 10 items and 1 weapon. Can be accessed by scrolling over the tree it is attached to. Can be removed by anyone, but only the owner can recover the bag.
  • Large Tent - Large tent. Holds 200 items and 50 weapons (Ural capacity). Behaves as other tents.
  • Wooden Crate - Large wooden crate. Holds 100 items and 10 weapons.
  • Secure Trunk - Medium sized trunk locked with a combination lock. Requires the combination (set when placed) or a crowbar to open. Once opened with a crowbar, the object cannot be locked again without repairs. Combination can be set without replacing the box (option on context menu). Holds 25 items, 5 weapons.
  • Buried Cache - Small mound of dirt covering a cache of items. Requires entrenching tool to make. With wood and a toolbox, you can create a large buried cache. Small holds 20 items and 2 weapons, large holds 50 items and 5 weapons.
  • Large Open Tent - A large medical tent that cannot store items, but can have trunks placed inside and keeps a player warm/out of the rain.
  • Camo Netting - I hear this one is on the way, but the same netting at the center of the Berezino tents, sans stuff inside. Does nothing but break up silhouettes.

• Change: Matches - Has a limited number of uses (20-50)
  • Lighter - Has 4x the uses of a matchbox.
  • Cigarette Box - Poor man's painkillers. Same effect, but wears off after a few minutes. Has a limited number of uses (whatever the average number of cigs in a box is, I don't smoke so I don't know how many that is (20?)). Requires matches or a lighter in your inventory to use. Benefit: Stacks, Drawback: Doesn't last forever.
  • Change: Morphine - Temporary fix for broken bones
  • Splint - Requires 1x wood to craft (using toolbox). Permanent fix for broken bones - Slows player down for some time while bone heals. Morphine can be applied alongside to prevent slowdown.

Simple changes/crafting using the already existing combine/split functionality:

• Scrap Metal -split-> multiple Tank Traps
  • Scrap Metal -split-> Metal Wall
  • Scrap Metal -split-> Gate
  • Wood + wire fencing kit -combine-> Large Gate
  • 3x Sandbags -combine-> Large Sandbag
  • 4x Wood -combine-> Wooden Crate
  • 1x Wood -craft-> Splint

The above require a toolbox in your inventory to create.

• Whiskey bottle + string -combine-> Noise Trap (Glass)
  • Can + string -combine-> Noise Trap (Cans)
  • Grenade + string -combine-> Grenade Trap
  • Flare + string -combine-> Flare Trap

When helicopters are added again, a rare spawn of a Chinook that can have a small vehicle loaded into it (car or smaller). If no vehicle is present, 500 item slots and 150 weapons can be stored.

More things on the way...

Edited by Publik
  • Like 14

Metal wall, yes

Big tent, yes pls

Open Tent, yes

Camo Netting, yes

Medium Sandbags pls

Chinook would be epic.

Rest no

• Like 1

Metal wall, yes

Big tent, yes pls

Open Tent, yes

Camo Netting, yes

Medium Sandbags pls

Chinook would be epic.

Rest no

Why not?

Traps:

If it's the "Oh, well then we'd just put landmines everywhere" argument, we've already got bear-traps. Offensive fortifications are already in-game, albeit on a limited scale. Traps (and the only one that's offensive there is the grenade cluster) would give people a sense of security and promote them fortifying an area.

More storage options:

Tents are very insecure. Adding more options to hide/store gear would be nice. There's no reason I can't take my entrenching tool and dig a hole, drop some gear in there, and cover it with some wood and dirt. There's no reason I can't take a pack and hoist it up a tree. Also, adding crates would be welcome, and a secure crate would give the crowbar a reason to exist. There are already static crates in-game (see the covered camo netting in Berezino - It has some wooden crates inside), there's no reason I can't take one of those or some wood and put one down somewhere.

If you're going to say "no", at least give a reason.

All good. except the metal wall that's just ridiculous...maybe a stone or wooden wall.

All good. except the metal wall that's just ridiculous...maybe a stone or wooden wall.

How is a sheet-metal wall ridiculous? I'm not talking about 1/4 inch steel, I mean like corrugated fencing.

How is a sheet-metal wall ridiculous? I'm not talking about 1/4 inch steel, I mean like corrugated fencing.

1/4 metal sheet's thats just stupid why would you ever need that.

1/4 metal sheet's thats just stupid why would you ever need that.

And I quote, "I'm not talking about 1/4 inch steel..."

Edit: Added more doop-de-doops: lighters, cigarette boxes, splints, spotlights, military tripwire, barrel, rain barrel.

Edited by Publik

these ideas are kickass like the buried cashe and bear bags. i think rockett should look over this and give it a chance!

love these ideas dude

my only suggestion would be that multiple pieces of scrap metal are required to combine -> tank traps, metal wall, gate.

oh and; as a smoker, cigarettes aren't really painkillers, but perhaps alcohol could be implemented for similar effect? a little alcohol would steady your aim, a little more would make your iron sights sway, a little more would blur vision and increase sway further, and a lot more would cause unconsciousness. it might be better if alcohol reduced the chance of needing painkillers rather, rather than being used instead of painkillers once you've sustained injury.

thoughts?

you should check this thread, it's more of a suggestion for once bases are actually established, though it hasn't received much positive feedback...

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/38928-community-minigames-a-form-of-currency/

Edited by Haplo

Lot of cool stuff there, some of which wasn't obvious. You (and a hundred other people) are going to suggest it a lot more at this rate, though, because we're a long way off from having any of it added.

love these ideas dude

my only suggestion would be that multiple pieces of scrap metal are required to combine -> tank traps, metal wall, gate.

oh and; as a smoker, cigarettes aren't really painkillers, but perhaps alcohol could be implemented for similar effect? a little alcohol would steady your aim, a little more would make your iron sights sway, a little more would blur vision and increase sway further, and a lot more would cause unconsciousness. it might be better if alcohol reduced the chance of needing painkillers rather, rather than being used instead of painkillers once you've sustained injury.

thoughts?

you should check this thread, it's more of a suggestion for once bases are actually established, though it hasn't received much positive feedback...

http://dayzmod.com/f...rm-of-currency/

Saw the cigs from another thread and felt like expanding it with individual uses/use with matches/lighters.

With the multiple scraps -> other metal items, scrap takes 3 slots, while tank traps and other fortifications take 1. Figured it more fit in with the slots.

I like this. I'm assuming that you'll be able to add the crowbar to the toolbelt in this case though?

That's a lot of stuff just to let you know. Think about how long it took for them to make bear traps? Besides, a lot of this stuff would never be used.

That's a lot of stuff just to let you know. Think about how long it took for them to make bear traps? Besides, a lot of this stuff would never be used.

I'd be happy with just taller fortifications. That just requires a box and a texture. Think about this: The detection method for beartraps can be used for the tripwire. The tripwire spawns a live grenade or whatever when tripped instead of breaking your leg, same way the weapons spawn live rounds or hackers spawn live munitions. Code reuse, straight from code 101.

All of it would be used. If you had two types of tents, would only one be used? Nope. Same with having 5 or 6 types of storage. Would traps be used? Well, we've got beartraps. Aside from the fact that they never disappear, they are used when they're found.

This is an alpha, btw. This stuff can look like crap. As long as they are functional it doesn't matter.

yes! of course we need more fortifications

Especially the traps sound interesting to me. Most of these things should be tested in game, at least for a short time. Since there are plans on enlarging the max player number on a server to 200, just imagine what impact on the server it'd have if hundred people, more or less senselessly, begin to use so much more things. On top of that, the housing system should be implemented first, and then we gotta see if all those fortification methods are still needed.