wolfshagger

Making looting more realistic!

Hey fellow survivors!

So I'm walking down the road with my girlfriend and BAM! Suddenly hits me!

Why on 'Gods-Green-Earth' does the loot spawn on the ground for you to simply walk over to and pick up. I mean who walks into a house and then finds 20 cans of coke on the floor.

So my suggestion is (probably not possible though) add some sort of loot 'box/storage' that the loot spawns in, e.g. You walk into a house looking for some ammo maybe a cool drink of coke, you walk over to a cupboard or a shelf and then loot the shelf to see if the loot has spawned there. That means the specified house doesn't look like a Coke truck has poured its contents on the floor and you would have to actually search around more instead of looking around the floor seeing if you need anything and leaving again without sparing a second thought. (Hope this is making sense :P)

As always your feedback would be appreciated to see if I'm not the only one who feels like this!

Thanks for spending time to read this!

• Like 9

I always hated this feature in games like Fallout, it takes such a long time to look for every cupboard and fridge, but when you do not have that much time you start missing valuable loot. I actually like the way it is at the moment.

To prkrsr -

You have a fair point but in my mind, yes it is more time consuming but I don't like the fact that all you have to do is go into a house look at the contents and then choose if you need anything then leave... I feel that if this idea was implemented into the game you would have to actually 'loot' the house until you found what you needed. Plus if you think of the long term it would also slow down the rate of people getting to the metagame stages of the game, which would also mean slowing down the rate that the majority of people run north -> scan loot spawns -> gets epic loot -> has nothing else to do apart from survive, gets bored and camps out popular areas for pvping.

I like this idea, but this would happen in standalone, considering there are no boxes and storage containers in the houses. They would have to make a map to support this feature.

Also, I wish loot spawns would be limited in the value of the items that spawn, but random in the item that spawns there. That way people can't server hop and get tons of ammo and food, because the loot there will be a little different. This also makes it so you can't rely on any place to get what you need.

Good idea, man, but it has to wait, like most of my ideas, unfortunately. Once standalone comes out, the possibilities will open up tremendously.

• Like 1

Tbh, i think both are good, see from the view point of places being looted all the time by all sorts of survivors (even those that are now infected), i am sure people would be looking for the good stuff first, making a mess out of places, so when you enter that mess is exactly where you easily find your stuffz...

The second would be in closets, cupboards, fridges etc. BUT these will need to be created first, esp. if these are to be things that one can open... And seeing the amount of assets in Arma2 in regards to interactable stuff is already limited (the original game is just about maybe some ammo boxes, atleast i think, as i just compare it with my past knowledge of something like BF:X ). So the idea is great, but b4 this will happen i think the focus will be more on building to be enterable, so that a more elaborate world can be build. After and during that phaze i am sure assets like you suggest may also be created and supply cool places to look for loot.

• Like 1

To LOGIN -

Of course I understand the servers and ARMA 2 doesn't support fridges and shelfs and god knows what else you find in the supermarket and shizzle but I hope that if the game becomes stand alone that this idea would be implemented. I do like your idea of someone else already having looted the building and leaving a mess. Maybe some loot spawns on the floor e.g. empty cans, whisky bottles, and maybe some water bottles. I just don't understand why someone would leave a revolver in one room then you go into the other and theres a makarov as well. :P

People in chernarus are slobs. Leaving their trash everywhere....

• Like 1

@Wolfy, because they have themselves an even better handgun, one with a dampener on it perhaps. Why drag a gun around if you already have one... travel light -> travel fast ;)

To Deviant

I agree with this completely, although I do see some loot spawning on the ground as 'mess' to be quite atmospheric to the game, of course with my idea I did not specify how much loot where. I don't want people to think that I picture completely clean houses that have nicely packed wardrobes that have a chance to spawn skins.. Maybe a couple of empty tins on the floor where the last 'survivor' came and looted but most of the items to be in ideal storages. (if that makes sense)

Hm, what was the third reply to this thread? Oh yeah, me saying that if this game was standalone you could do features like the putting of loot in containers. And what are the replies under it? More people saying the same thing I am, without a quote to me. That's efficient.

Aaaaanyway... why not just make portable storage boxes that you can put items into instead of tents while we're at it? Saves a lot of bugs and bug fixes.

Edited by OW22

I dont see why this cant happen for some things already.

You have medical supplies inside boxes at hospitals already.

Why cant cans of beans and soft drink be stored in boxes in the back of the shops?

Why cant the food cans and drink spawn on the shelves?

Shit needs to spawn where shit would logically be in the real world gone to shit.

BOXES! people.... we needs boxes... BIG boxes.. little boxes. LOTS of bloody boxes.

With loot in them.

Ammo crates with various amo in them.. Gun crates with various guns in them at military zones.

Who puts loot in the toilet seriously?

• Like 1

I think this is one of those things that will happen once standalone but is now limited by the fact that it is a mod. :)

I think this is one of those things that will happen once standalone but is now limited by the fact that it is a mod. :)

Oh look, another person that didn't bother to read the less than one page of replies. The replies are short, and this idea has been stated atleast 3 times.

Not trying to be mean, but honestly, I could understand if there was 3 pages but... there's not.

Oh look, another person that didn't bother to read the less than one page of replies. The replies are short, and this idea has been stated atleast 3 times.

Not trying to be mean, but honestly, I could understand if there was 3 pages but... there's not.

I am sad now.

I am sad now.

It is not just you.

Can I please ask that you guys keep the comments relevant to the OP? I don't want half of the comments complaining that the same idea has been spoken for. To be quite frank I would rather have 100 of the same comments instead of 1 person. I want to see if people actually like this idea or not.

Thanks!

Aaaaanyway... why not just make portable storage boxes that you can put items into instead of tents while we're at it? Saves a lot of bugs and bug fixes.

Or well-decorated storage boxes - make one look like a fridge or a wardrobe. Throw some beans on the kitchen table.

Still need the loot spread on the floor, but I agree that having cabinets to go through would make it more interesting.

Being a mod doesn't matter. We've already got tents and vehicles that are interactive storage boxes. Just add a few more similar objects in the buildings.

Or well-decorated storage boxes - make one look like a fridge or a wardrobe. Throw some beans on the kitchen table.

Still need the loot spread on the floor, but I agree that having cabinets to go through would make it more interesting.

Being a mod doesn't matter. We've already got tents and vehicles that are interactive storage boxes. Just add a few more similar objects in the buildings.

No, I meant like having storage boxes that you can place in and out of buildings, since you can't have a tent as a shelter, but only as a storage space.

i.e. a storage box that you place on the ground or a table for YOUR items.

Edited by OW22

Best idea to do if you don't realy have anything usefull to say, just give the OP a can a beans ;)

so if anyone bothered to read responses and wants even more way to make looting more 'authentic', hit this link: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/35142-tiered-loot-buildings/ ... you may have stumbled upon me suggesting this in other threads on loot, but i thought it deserved it's own thread :)

Sounds good. But it would be too much work for the designers ):

I have no idea how they could that, or how much effort it would take. But it's probably a lot. This is something that should DEFINITELY be done if possible.

Has anyone tried to put stuff back into the boxes in the hospitals?

if it can be done... im wondering what their limit is.

The only thing left to be done is make them a lootable item to pick up.

Has anyone tried to put stuff back into the boxes in the hospitals?

if it can be done... im wondering what their limit is.

The only thing left to be done is make them a lootable item to pick up.

I think that the storage box item if it's made should be an item that you can tell what it is, so that if it's in a house you know a survivor has been there. Maybe like a duffel bag? That's portable and high capacity. It would also make sense to have different sizes as well. More size, at the cost of taking up more inventory space. No items should be able to be carried while in your inventory, because then people can have quadruple backpacks.

It's like a fire, chemlight, flare or a tent. You see it and know no one could of put it there but a survivor.