Sign in to follow this  
jonaswashe

Major server-side upgrade, performance should increase

Didn't see this posted about anywhere, if it is, I'll be happy to delete this post. In case you aren't following the Dayz Z Dev twitter:

Major server-side upgrade has been rolled out, performance should increase for loading as it propagates over the next hour - Rocket 1 hour ago

Source:

http://twitter.com/#!/dayzdevteam

Upvoted OP for posting this....

My twitter has cobwebs and I'm afraid to go there.

Maybe this will make me.

What is the feed?

Aw, that's a shame. I really liked the "waiting for server response" screen and would pretend I was playinn an old Infocom text adventure. Many times I would type in chat, "Go north and examine the door, then pick up the skull and smash it then get key" ... *sigh*

Rocket himself has said that the main problem is people spamming enter to get into servers. Which isn't going to change anytime soon, since at peak times that's pretty much the only way to make it into a server (not to mention needing to get in for server-side assets like tents and vehicles), so really the only way the waiting for server response issue will get fixed is by the mod getting a lot more servers for people to spread out on.

Rocket himself has said that the main problem is people spamming enter to get into servers. Which isn't going to change anytime soon' date=' since at peak times that's pretty much the only way to make it into a server (not to mention needing to get in for server-side assets like tents and vehicles), so really the only way the waiting for server response issue will get fixed is by the mod getting a lot more servers for people to spread out on.

[/quote']

However, people were getting the problem even on almost empty servers, and also after they were reset and the like. It seems like it was the main server that was causing at least some of the issues with "waiting for server response".

AwesomeSauce.. Can't wait to get home from work to test out!

Nicely done rocket and others working on this on weekend \o/

Interesting' date=' verified.

Hopefully we see less "OMG SERVER RESPUNSE" threads.

[/quote']

Unlikely - I've been spending the last hour trying to get into a server, and every time it still gets stuck on the server response screen, and at least 10 people on each server I've tried are in the same position.

If this was meant to help fix the server response problem, it doesn't seem to have worked, which suggests even more upgrades are needed, or there is another underlying problem.

Hopefully this upgrade can really help withstand the tides of players connecting/disconnecting.

If that's the case the BI should add a queuing function. So you can just select enter queue and you get into the server when a slot frees up. No more spamming enter key.

Something like: "You are #21 in the queue. Wait time is roughly 30 mins."

To provide an explanation:

If the central server connection app lost connection with the database, it was fucked. And remained so until someone restarted the server connection app. Nearly all people stuck at "waiting for server response" were victims of this error. It also meant nobodies progress would be saved.

Generally connection wasn't lost, but if the central server got really busy it would drop some connections.

The new system now re-establishes connection with the DB and error checks itself.

Other fixes included too, but this will have a major impact on "waiting for server response".

If you make it to "Requesting data from server" chances are you are probably going to make it into game.

No upgrades can handle the DDOS server browser with thousands of people connecting/disconnecting. BIS has to fix the server browser. Can't play except on dark servers where nobody wants to play.

If that's the case the BI should add a queuing function. So you can just select enter queue and you get into the server when a slot frees up. No more spamming enter key.

fair enough about the "#21 in the queue" however nfi how you expect a game to be able to predict the behaviour of random events (i.e. people disconnecting) to arrive at some arbitrary "wait time"

Such a simple idea and a great one directly from massively multiplayer online. Even if there no aproximate its still A LOT better than spamming to enter. edit: Also, reserved slots for admin so they stop crying. BIS need to get their head around that and the chat problems then dayz will become 200%(number out of my ass) more enjoyable than it is.

Great news all around. Great job as always rocket.

Seems like half of DayZ's problems are the fault of Arma II. Shame, really.

Seems like half of DayZ's problems are the fault of Arma II. Shame' date=' really.

[/quote']

There would be no dayz without arma2, so, not really.

I still can't get into a server. I usually end up in Debug Forest. =s

If I got to a less populated server, let's say in Europe, while it is daytime in the US. I can get in. But, if I try to go, even to a low pop US server, during daytime in the US. I can not get in. If I wait it out, I'll end up in the forest.

Should I uninstall and reinstall? Have people found that to work?

I still can't get into a server. I usually end up in Debug Forest. =s

If I got to a less populated server' date=' let's say in Europe, while it is daytime in the US. I can get in. But, if I try to go, even to a low pop US server, during daytime in the US. I can not get in. If I wait it out, I'll end up in the forest.

Should I uninstall and reinstall? Have people found that to work?

[/quote']

If you get into the forest, Abort and try again, you'll usually get it the second time. I have been seeing a significant change in login times total since the upgrade.

Also, play at night, less survivors clogging up the tubes =P

It's actually been alright in the EU servers now, even EU4 (permaday) has been running fine enough for me to log in first time.

Yeah, I forgot to mention... I can get on to servers just not the ideal ones, nor at the ideal times. For example.. I can get on US server, late at night but not EU servers (daytime in EU; clogged up). During the day here (US-AZ), I can not login to a US server.

I was just mainly curious if I should reinstall the files. When the patch came (1.5.7) I took those three new updated files and replaced them in the Dayz folder. It worked, and works when the servers aren't bogged down. I really have high hopes for this game, please don't take any of this in a negative light. I am patient, for the most part, especially when awaiting something special.

Thanks in advance for the input.