bochung

Simple Solution to Banditry

First of all, i honestly am one person who does NOT shoot on sight. I will not kill unless I am absolutly sure the other person is going to kill me. So far I have made many successful friendly encounters, only been murdered once and never killed anyone.

With that said, I hate the idea of forced skin changes or teams or anything that is artificial like this. I am so glad they took it out. For me it's an achievement to earn someones trust and get them to work with me because when I first see them I don't know what their intentions are and they don't know mine. If everything was black and white it would be no fun and would take a large part of what makes this game great away. I don't want to work with someone, or against them for that matter, because I have to since our teams or skins say we should act a certain way. i want the opportunity to try and earn trust with out knowing the outcome. it's extremely satisfying.

I think even for those who dread the thought of having to deal with people not knowing what the other person is gonna do would miss out on huge part of the experience if people were marked a certain way. By you choosing not to risk it and murdering them you are making a tough choice the game has put before you, but you don't HAVE to do it. no one likes things easy. achiements mean nothing if things are easy.

• Like 1

One of my favorite things, is when some idiot finds a statistic, and assigns meaningless value to it. And then that idiot comes and posts something like, "this statistic proves X!" without even bothering to understand it.

All that statistic means is less people are playing. Period. That's all it means.

Considering that the overwhelming number of players coming into the game only started playing in the last 2 months (since around E3 and huge word-of-mouth since), I think it would be more accurate to say that the hype is dying down, and the community pool is returning to a state of equilibrium. This can best be attributed to the fact that ARMA simply is not the same kind of FPS that is really popular these days, and so most players get frustrated and quit. Or perhaps it's the fact that DayZ is not about run-and-gun gameplay, and is rather a slower paced, more deliberate survival sim - something that most people would think is neat on paper, but isn't that "fun" to play. Or maybe that DayZ is too challenging.

What that statistic does not mean, is that the game is dying. It just means that less people are playing, for any number of reasons.

One of my favorite things, is when some moron doesn't understand what I'm really saying, and then comes calling me an idiot simply because he couldn't figure out what he just read! By reading the earlier posts he would have realized that the sentence "This game is definitely dying" was SARCASM, as someone else claimed "this game is dying out because of bandits" or something alike.

So I tossed in the statistic to prove that it is NOT dying.

Well, I understand it is hard to tell sarcasm, especially if the first thing that pops in ones mind is calling the other an idiot instead of reading the post again and thinking what this guy is really talking about.

Seriously, I read through my earlier post you quoted, and to me it appears that either you read only a small part of it and went full retard with shit talk, or else you actually are a little mentally challenged.

The beautiful thing about Day Z is that we are free to do whatever we want, and unfortunately due to human nature and the current "mechanics" of the game this means kill everyone and be an asshole to weaker players. I'm not saying that this is a problem, I love the added survival aspect of the game, getting loot, avoiding zombies, and avoiding the bandits.

The problem, as I see it, is the rampant banditry. There is absolutely no incentive to not kill the stranger you see off in the distance. Why even try to communicate when you risk death and betrayal, when you can just shoot them and loot their hard-earned gear?

So basically you find the freedom of action awesome, excepted when it's being used against you.

I had to point that out. It's not freedom of action if it's constrained in the kind of freedom that doesn't inpede your playstyle.

Hey it's okay i understand it, you are okay with PvP as long as it's on your own terms. We are all a bit like this because it sting when it's like there was nothing you could have done. But that's what DayZ is.

• Like 1

I apologize in advance that i did not read your entire post, so excuse me if i mention something you did already.

Well, banditry is indeed a problem, because is frustrates players over and over again. Not just the Dev's took away the side chat, the only safe way of communication. Also the fact that players which play with their friends are not quite interested in working together with strangers. When i play with my friends from RL , we are 3, we dont actually need to work together with strangers, so we usually kill before someone of us gets killed. The mod lacks something that makes interacting with even strange people more interesting, such as trading. The problem with trading is, in 90% of all cases the trader is just shot down and his stuff is taken. I recently read a thread about honor and humanity-reward-systems, http://dayzmod.com/f...support-honor-v . I really support this idea. It's really well thought out so far. And if you guys care for less banditing you should read over this post aswell.

Btw.: An anecdote of my DayZ-Life

just shoot them and loot their hard-earned gear?

When i read this i had to lol so hard. Today me and a friend played on a server with side chat. We just respawned and thought about not banditing this life. As we raided elektro we noticed people taunting the others on the server. Obviously bandits. As we ran into the woods of elektro we found a truck packed full with stuff. Guns several nvgs navis everythign you need. As we escaped we notice one of the bandits starts flaming his mates because he misses a truck. Guess what :). Just saying we

[looted] their hard-earned gear?
without shooting once. As you see being an honest player can be rewarding aswell sometimes. But the story ends as the following. We flipped the truck and as we fooled around the bandits came up shot down my friend and i had to run. Edited by DestinyAscension

if i was a bandit why would i want a skin. from a bandits point of view you are fucking me over hard i cant trick you anymore. the point is if your going to fix the so called badits problem then you have to find a way to do it in a way the badits dont feel like there being fucked. im not even a bandit! the main point of this is to stop only thinking about yourself, take both partys into acount. because bandits are just as big if not biger then us.

@mesmichael

taking both parties into consideration is not as easy i think. I mean people ofc have the right to kill other players. But you have to distinuish between 2 diffrent kinds of bandits.

1. The real Bandit.

The person that really raided his good gear to camp and really take the role of a bandit.

Persons that actually reached a certain status and lack late game content. This is what i call a real bandit.

2. The A++holes

Persons which grab the next best weapons and rampage through the cities just as they are playing CoD.And they absolutely dont care bout surviving, what dayz was made for."Ofc why should you care about surviving if theres a respawn button".(Oh yeah the CoDkiddie thing again)

Edited by DestinyAscension
  • Like 1

What i love about these threads is that suddenly bandits turn up and start complaining about being the persecuted minority, we are only 14.8% of the population, we are using our freedom, it's my right to shoot new players in the head repeatedly...

This.

I can't say I disagree with this. I like to kill other players, it is what makes the game fun to me, and I wan't to be recognized as such. I don't wan't players to see me and try to be friendly because then when i kill them it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I wan't them to to be able to recognize I'm a threat, that way I won't feel so bad when I put that bullet between their eyes.

Edited by mindtunnel

The biggest problem I see about this game in terms of bandits and the idea of shoot him before he shoots me mindset, is that at this game's current stage, there is only personal progress. There is no reason to work together when at the end of the day there really is nothing to be gained out of it. Yes you survived for another day, congrats, but then the idea of bandits and what I will define as Samaritans is inapplicable in this game. It should be redefined to, sociopath to team player. What I think a bandit is to exploit/disrupt/prohibit the flow towards the greater good. While being a Samaritan is the polar opposite. but what is the bandit exploiting/preventing/disrupting. What good is the Samaritan doing by helping the nubs/loners in need. I would think the role of a Samaritan is to promote the idea of player safety and the relief that comes from it, I am on this bus therefore I am safe, I can relax some. I am with this scouting party, I can feel safe with this sudden increase in numbers so that I don't have to feel all paranoid. That sense of safety, is the ideal thing which a bandit should aim to destroy.

I guess that if there was some way, i don't know, to fortify towns/cities, allow gates to be made (a log you can move out of a road and back), build some walls out of nearby trees, allow people to make something bigger than themselves and allow for that sense of safety to manifest given enough manpower and teamwork, and I think a ton of issues essentially concerning how to define our potential roles in this game will sort themselves out.

(I apologize if this sounds confusing but I always have trouble explaining myself)

its a shame there isnt a team making function, for instance i see a guy running across the road i hover over him, mouse scroll to frendily stance and if he accepts we can no longer shoot each other unless we scroll wheel an option to disband and in which case we must both agree to disband.

that would take out the miss trust with other people, people only kill on sight because they fear being killed first.

its a shame there isnt a team making function, for instance i see a guy running across the road i hover over him, mouse scroll to frendily stance and if he accepts we can no longer shoot each other unless we scroll wheel an option to disband and in which case we must both agree to disband.

that would take out the miss trust with other people, people only kill on sight because they fear being killed first.

You must be new here. This game isn't ever going to include "gamey" mechanics like that, it's lame as hell, and not anywhere the mod dev wants to take the game.

So i got a problem with this. How it it realistic that a bandit will put on a red bandanna and run around. When i have a ghille suit im trying to be stealthy so why would i put a red bandanna over it? People will see me from a mile away. I don't really see the realism in it.

What if I am a bandit for just defending myself or killing someone on a mistake, didn't you say 1 kill = Bandit ?

Bad idea.

How about a totally different aproach. If a human would kill another innocent human he would feel quilty right?

So why not add an aspect like that? Like a shaking screen and faces of the people who were killed. Would be really annoying to play since you never know when something like this could happen. The question is would it help lower the number of bandits? I don't know but i think it would be more realistic.