Redrick (DayZ)

Direct Communication not working at all...

Date/Time: Last 5 days

What happened: Direct Comms is completely broke. Both VOIP and Chat is broken

Where you were: Anywhere in game

What you were doing: Anything

It's happened on every server, and it's been happening with a lot of people. A handful on each server have it working, but the great majority still have it busted.

+1

Haven't been able to use DC since 1.3 or something.

Someone said that only some minor peeps and occasional syllables can be heard when I tried to use DC.

Could be related issue but Side voice chat seems to work for some and it was supposed to be disabled, which it was, in 1.3ish. I think.

I was using direct voice fine yesterday in 1.5, I clearly remember seeing a guy run from about 25 zombies armed with only a makarov and I said "ohh that guy's screwed" in direct while looking at him. After the battle he said "that wasn't very nice," and confirmed that he could hear me over direct voice o.O

On server EU3 yesterday, same issue.

Global chat, text/Voip worked,

Side chat, text/voip worked,

DIRECT CHAT, text/voip neither worked.

Other players near me could not see what I was typing in Direct chat, even if they were standing next to me.

We could not hear each other talking over VOIP in Direct, although our lips were moving.

Servers have a blanket enable/disable switch for VOIP on their servers, however I don't believe they have individual channel control. (I could be wrong)

If I were to guess, I would say that BIS numbered the different channels and those numbers got muddled in the coding of the DayZ map somehow when the Dev's attempted to mute the Global/Side channels.

-----EDIT-------

Looking at the bug report for DevHaven above (thanks for the link) it appears that a temporary fix for people to use Direct text/VOIP is to NOT use other channels to talk or type in. As using any other channel will break your Direct text/VOIP ability.

I will give that a try and see if that indeed works.

Tried this, it doesn't work, or at least it doesn't appear to. I only came across one guy though, so I may have just been unlucky but yeah. Still no dice.

Talked/heard a guy yesterday on DC --but buddy next to me didn't hear a thing.

The DayZ system,... BRIEFLY... used a display event handle to stop people using VOIP/VON on all channels except direct.

This was REMOVED in 1.4

1.5.1 has NOTHING in it that should affect direct chat. We have reports that sometimes Direct Chat works and sometimes it does not. Nothing in the DayZ code enables/disables or should effect direct chat at all.

Direct Chat is Peer-to-peer and doesn't involve the server (hence why if a server crashes, you can often hear the other person).

There are only two theories as to why Direct appears to only sometimes works:

1. Switching the player from their initial character, into a new character, causes the game to not properly register this and so Direct Chat is activated on the OLD character and not their new one. I tried to fix this case by attaching your initial character to your new one (hence the ability to talk to yourself). But this has not solved the issue.

Moving into a new body is needed to avoid the disconnection gear exploits and also allow character switching. It makes things much easier for the database, so going back to the original system is not really viable.

2. Too many people in the group. Because everyone is in the same group, perhaps this stops direct chat somehow. We will investigate moving everyone back to individual groups and see if this fixes it.

tl;dr = it is likely a bug within ArmA2 that we will have to try and get fixed with a future ArmA2 patch, either associated with group numbers or with the use of selectPlayer.

I know its beating a dead horse, but might somehow just wiping my data from the server jolt it back into place? I don't have anything really, and I don't mind restarting my character. But just wiping me, so that when I join the system will see me as a new guy?

That would not help, the database simply stores basic attributes - not of which would affect Direct Chat. The bug likely fits with either that we have 50 initial characters in a group, or that we spawn you from the initial mission character into a new character after you are authenticated.

I doubt a dayz patch will fix the issue, unless I rolled back to not spawning you into a new character. If I did this - many exploits would become available again. We will need to confirm what the error is, bug it up on dev-heaven, and then request it to be included in the next arma2 patch.

I doubt a dayz patch will fix the issue' date=' unless I rolled back to not spawning you into a new character. If I did this - many exploits would become available again. We will need to confirm what the error is, bug it up on dev-heaven, and then request it to be included in the next arma2 patch.

[/quote']

Excuse my ignorance, but if Direct Comms works fine in non-DayZ servers, then isn't this indeed a DayZ issue and not ArmA 2? Or is it simply the way that DayZ handles ArmA 2's VOIP which has to be fixed on the base game itself? Just seems odd that it was working fine up until v1.4.xx but then just stopped working for what seems to be 90% of the player base.

Hope you can fix this anyway rocket :D

Idk if this help but sometimes DC works for others so that u can hear syllable here and there but can't really pick out the words. At least it helps u to find ur mate.

I had these issues 2 nights ago with 2 players. 1 could hear me in Direct Chat and I could hear him, the 3rd guy couldn't hear either of us, and we couldn't hear him.

If we are all potential enemies, why do we need to be in the same group? Why can our PlayerID not be our GroupID?

Just wanted to add that Curry's possible fix from page 1 doesn't work. I saw that same theory last week and tried it myself, didn't work.

I do have something else to add though. A friend and I joined the EU2 server last night after the 1.5.3 update and I decided to try Direct Comm for fun to see if it worked. Low and behold, he could hear me, but then he was forced to rejoin the server because his game froze or something. After he rejoined, I tried talking to him again and he didn't respond so I asked him if he could still hear me and he said no.

On fi server DC stopped working middle of the game. So it worked first and an hour later or so, stopped... Tho there started to be symptoms of server crashing, warping etc...

It's weird, my direct comm works fine when im not on a dayz server, but when i go to a dayz server my direct comm stops working.

I have my direct key set the same as my TS3 key

(For ACRE, also so I dont feel like so much of a jackass using TS3) and I gave away my position to enemys with it

So yeah it works