Powell (DayZ)

I play DayZ to Roleplay

This mod has garnered immense interest, because of zombie survival, not because of snipers camping l33t weapon spawns.

Okay? So if your goal isn't to acquire "leet gear" then why does it matter that people are camping those spawns? You have no reason or motivation to go there, so why would it matter to you whether or not people are there camping them?

Just another ridiculous post claiming that because not everyone has precisely the same goals and motivations in the game that something must be "wrong" with it.

You want to kill a bunch of zombies? Go fucking do it. What's stopping you? Grab a Winchester (there's plenty of ammo) and shoot them all day long.

No doubt rocket has plenty of plans in the works for improving zombie AI, behaviors, status effects, etc. and you will also benefit from the team play and cooperative elements he has hinted at such as base building, fortifications, and squad identification.

But what if that's not my cup of tea? What if I do like to collect powerful weapons? Why is your version of the game more important than mine?

Sniper rifles, silenced weapons and ghillie suits aren't why there is so much interest in DayZ.

Who the fuck are you, again?

You don't know why I'm interested in the game.

If I wanted zombie massacre there are games out there for that. I came to DayZ because it offered zombies + military simulator + PvP. I want the whole package, not your personal subjective opinion of which portions I should be interested in so thank you kindly but you can get stuffed. If you think your personal evaluation of which parts of the mod are "right" are the ones that should be maintained and everything else should be abandoned because they don't happen to sync up with whatever pre-conceived "zombie survival mod" notions with which you arrived then you're playing the wrong game.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 3

jonahcutter, I give you my beans.

Totally agree and I hope Rocket sees your post.

Couple of types of hand-gun, farmer's old rifle or shotty, that should be it.

Being sniped or ganked by tooled-up clanners breaks the magic spell that is DayZ. And there's plenty of games out there for the military wannabes.

Being sniped or ganked by tooled-up clanners breaks the magic spell that is DayZ. And there's plenty of games out there for the military wannabes.

You have 10 minutes from now 1:54AM EST to list as many games as possible that include

• Open world.
  • Unrestricted competitive PvP.
  • Realistic weapons and authentic combat simulation.
  • Vehicles.
  • Zombies.

Go.

I dare you.

Now, my turn. Here are the games that include cooperative zombie killing without all that pesky military equipment, PvP and open-worldlieness:

Dead Island

Left 4 Dead

Resident Evil

Dead Rising

Chernarus Apocalypse

That was just 10 seconds. How did I do?

Maybe you're the one playing the wrong game?

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 1

Okay? So if your goal isn't to acquire "leet gear" then why does it matter that people are camping those spawns? You have no reason or motivation to go there, so why would it matter to you whether or not people are there camping them?

Just another ridiculous post claiming that because not everyone has precisely the same goals and motivations in the game that something must be "wrong" with it.

You want to kill a bunch of zombies? Go fucking do it. What's stopping you? Grab a Winchester (there's plenty of ammo) and shoot them all day long.

No doubt rocket has plenty of plans in the works for improving zombie AI, behaviors, status effects, etc. and you will also benefit from the team play and cooperative elements he has hinted at such as base building, fortifications, and squad identification.

But what if that's not my cup of tea? What if I do like to collect powerful weapons? Why is your version of the game more important than mine?

If I wanted zombie massacre there are games out there for that. I came to DayZ because it offered zombies + military simulator + PvP. I want the whole package, not your personal subjective opinion of which portions I should be interested in so thank you kindly but you can get stuffed. If you think your personal evaluation of which parts of the mod are "right" are the ones that should be maintained and everything else should be abandoned because it doesn't happen to sync up with whatever pre-conceived "zombie survival mod" notions with which you arrived then you're playing the wrong game.

Easy mate. If my opinion got under your skin so much, take a breath and step back a bit. No need to lose your shit so easily.

I'd say if you like to collect powerful weapons, go play WoW. ;) If you want to play sniper vs sniper, go play basic ArmA. It does it far better.

And yes, I am outright stating that the intense interest in this mod is not at all because players can snipe each other over weapon spawns. I'm stating that because it's painfully obvious considering how much intense interest in zombie survival there is in mass culture currently. Surely you're not trying to say that the zeds aren't the single most important element in this mod? And if you agree that they are (how could anyone not?), then surely you're not trying to say that anything that trivializes them is bad for the mod? And in its current form, assault rifles, scopes, and silencers largely trivialize the zeds. That's pretty obvious to anyone who has played for a bit.

Again, take the zombies out and this mod would be lucky to get into the triple digits in players. Take the scopes and assault rifles out and I would guess the interest would be just about as intense.

I would have zero interest in this mod if there were safe zones, or non-consensual pvp was removed. But the type of pvp, and how it plays out within a zombie-survival framework, is key to how well it makes the mod function.

Edited by jonahcutter
  • Like 3

Don't you think this is the way its supposed to be?

Everyone has their own play style. Some are here for the atmosphere and open world experience and some just for the sake of fun. I do wish to see more serious role players in this mod but most of them likely go for the "betrayal" path after they got bored.

Edited by leeo38

No need to lose your shit so easily.

My shit's not lost, son. Don't worry. It's all right here with me.

I'd say if you like to collect powerful weapons, go play WoW.

And I'd say if you want a game without powerful weapons, go play Farmville. Both statements would be equally retarded so lets not go there, okay? Lets talk about DayZ instead. Focus on the game we're actually discussing and maybe you can formulate something resembling an argument against the existence of powerful weapons in this game.

Players are meant to be a threat in the game. The primary threat according to rocket, in fact. More powerful weapons give me an advantage over those players, so why should they be removed from the game? So we can all ride around on bicycles throwing tin cans and shooting each other with slingshots?

What's the logical conclusion of arguing that certain weapons are "too powerful" for this game?

If you want to play sniper vs sniper, go play basic ArmA. It does it far better.

Okay. That's not what I want to play. I want to play sniper friend watches my back while I go loot a town or a helicopter in case things go south then he can cover my retreat or take revenge on my attackers. I want to play sniper vs. zombie. I want to play sniper vs. clueless motherfucker who doesn't even know I'm there.

And yes, I am outright stating that the intense interest in this mod is not at all because players can snipe each other over weapon spawns.

And I'm flat out stating that's a consensus bias and you have no fucking idea why this mod is popular so stop acting like you speak for the community.

Surely you're not trying to say that the zeds aren't the single most important element in this mod?

I read on day one, almost 5 months ago, that PvP was the primary focus. rocket has reiterated this multiple times.

There is no confusion on this matter.

It is not up for discussion.

Again, take the zombies out and this mod would be lucky to get into the triple digits in players.

Again, take the military equipment and PvP out and you've got Dead Island. That game already exists. We don't need to make it again.

• Like 2

I play in a team of three. The other two with machine guns and PDW's as their secondries. Then me with a Remington w/ flashlight.

Live off the land, canteens filled with lake and pond water, gut animals and make campfires and sing songs.

You have 10 minutes from now 1:54AM EST to list as many games as possible that include

• Open world.
  • Unrestricted competitive PvP.
  • Realistic weapons and authentic combat simulation.
  • Vehicles.
  • Zombies.

Go.

I dare you.

Now, my turn. Here are the games that include cooperative zombie killing without all that pesky military equipment, PvP and open-worldlieness:

Dead Island

Left 4 Dead

Resident Evil

Dead Rising

Chernarus Apocalypse

That was just 10 seconds. How did I do?

Maybe you're the one playing the wrong game?

Well you do make good points, are you seeing the whole picture? What I mean is, this mod is supposed to be geared to zombies, hence Day "Z". Everything else is a side. However, currently, there is too much in the game that steers players toward things that aren't zombie related.

Also, I get you think that this a PVP-based game. But really, should it be?

PS: This thread is sorta going off-topic

Edited by Powell

I know what you mean man, makes it feel like a real life experience. I was going through one of the small coast towns on a new playthrough, after some zombies thought my female characters ass looked especially tasty, and found a m1911 pistol, then a czech backpack sitting on the stoop of some unenterable house. Took that thing everywhere with me, stored my double barrel shotgun for a time before trading it off to another survivor for some m1911 ammo and can of pasta.

Then I found my winchester. God damn life was good with that thing....

Then some jackass in Vybor shot me after I called out friendly near the store.

Thankfully I found another in a barn north of the power station, where I also found a tent and a pdw, near electro.

I'm considering going into a low population server, since I want to check out electro and loot some food, ammo and hopefully find another czech backpack or something better.

Edited by Marsproject

If I wanted zombie massacre there are games out there for that. I came to DayZ because it offered zombies + military simulator + PvP. I want the whole package, not your personal subjective opinion of which portions I should be interested in so thank you kindly but you can get stuffed. If you think your personal evaluation of which parts of the mod are "right" are the ones that should be maintained and everything else should be abandoned because they don't happen to sync up with whatever pre-conceived "zombie survival mod" notions with which you arrived then you're playing the wrong game.

For a presumably grown man, you certainly were incredibly defensive, and the insults were childish.

Calm down. It's just a mod, one with a lot of issues. It's interesting and different, but it's not "the whole package". Some day it might be, but today's not the day.

Then again, since I have a little thing called a job, I can't afford to sink 900 hours into day z, which like any investment, makes your brain think day z is better than it is.

Day Z is good, but not great. It could be, but it needs a lot of tweaks. Making it harder for everyone and their grandma to have military grade weapons, particularly sniper rifles, is a great start. Such weapons do not make for exciting and fun pvp.

Edited by Dr. Toros

@ZedsDeadBaby

Good points, but still. "y u no play something else" kind of detracts from the point of dayz... the more variety of player, the better.

The power playing thing is a big draw to people. But it doesn't have much of a long term hold.

I think the point of this thread is that there are several types of long term players, each of which that want to be catered to as opposed to "you MUST group up and elite-gear yourselves" or "you MUST be able to survive alone and scavenge on your own for survivability"

which is pretty interesting in itself. because both need to be looked at as long term goals for players.

I wish there was a follow poster option.

I'd follow the shit out of ZDB.

The only problem I have is the duping.

It's the only reason you see so much high end Military hardware - M107s and such.

Military grade weapons should be more rare as it's now too easy to find them. Even without server hopping I found a ghillie, AKM, DMR, and Alice Pack in 2 hours of gameplay. What do you say about that? Doesn't it make civilian grade weapons useless? For example once you've got an AKM (and if you know where to find, it wont take you more than an hour), zombies are no threat to you any longer, so the zombie survival side of the game is gone by then. So the only threat now are other players and other players only. DayZ is about zombies and players, and with military grade weapons it doesn't matter if there are zombies or not. You really only look out for other players. DayZ minus zombie threat is normal Arma2 MP. Think about that.

• Like 1

You took off your wizard hat and robe?

hahahahha i remember that such a classic made me lol

At the start of this game, I used to PvP people for better loot and shit; I'd always get confused why people would complain about the PvP in the game. It seemed pretty reasonable to me. Kill other guy for better shit. Now that I'm at the top of the food chain, I just kill people for shits and giggles, because guess what, there's nothing else to fucking do in this game. The survival aspect is a joke. I have no difficulty staying alive. No shit I'm not standing in the middle of Cherno, because that'd be a stupid approach to staying alive. The PvP is pretty meaningless ATM, so I don't know. I'm forced to look to other approaches to making this game fun. Flying solo and trying to help noobs and shit. Trolling people with mics. Etc. etc. It's gotten pretty dull. The mod was more entertaining when I was bad at it, surprisingly.

At the start of this game, I used to PvP people for better loot and shit; I'd always get confused why people would complain about the PvP in the game. It seemed pretty reasonable to me. Kill other guy for better shit. Now that I'm at the top of the food chain, I just kill people for shits and giggles, because guess what, there's nothing else to fucking do in this game. The survival aspect is a joke. I have no difficulty staying alive. No shit I'm not standing in the middle of Cherno, because that'd be a stupid approach to staying alive. The PvP is pretty meaningless ATM, so I don't know. I'm forced to look to other approaches to making this game fun. Flying solo and trying to help noobs and shit. Trolling people with mics. Etc. etc. It's gotten pretty dull. The mod was more entertaining when I was bad at it, surprisingly.

Then don't play, if you're just going to be a burden on everyone else. If you find it dull, go play something that's not dull. Don't stay around here and complain that it's dull. Sounds to me like you just don't have the imagination to come up with fun ways to play. Like, I have limited myself to using only an axe and pistol. The game is quite fun playing this way. Sure, I have to watch out for other players, since I would stand no chance in PvP, but I have the satisfaction of knowing that, if they kill me, they won't get anything from it. Just a wasted bullet.

Then don't play, if you're just going to be a burden on everyone else. If you find it dull, go play something that's not dull. Don't stay around here and complain that it's dull. Sounds to me like you just don't have the imagination to come up with fun ways to play. Like, I have limited myself to using only an axe and pistol. The game is quite fun playing this way. Sure, I have to watch out for other players, since I would stand no chance in PvP, but I have the satisfaction of knowing that, if they kill me, they won't get anything from it. Just a wasted bullet.

"The PvP is pretty meaningless ATM, so I don't know. I'm forced to look to other approaches to making this game fun. Flying solo and trying to help noobs and shit. Trolling people with mics."

Reading comprehension skills are at an all time high, I see.

I also find it amusing that the approach to people discontent with the game is "don't be a part of this community, then." This game is an alpha. It is subject to changing. Like the game at its current state? Cool. Don't expect it to last, though. Rocket does intend to take it beyond the current state its at, because at the moment, it's an incomplete game. The game has a highly undeveloped survival aspect and basically serves as a sandbox that slowly gravitates more experienced players to treating it like a shooter due to lack of things to do. Rocket himself has mentioned promoting group play and having more end game content during his interviews, IIRC.

There are three types of PvPers.

1. People shooting due to paranoia of getting shot first by victim.

2. People shooting to obtain better loot.

3. People shooting for shits and giggles.

#3 is hardly realistic, and it reflects a lack of content for players that are engaging in such activity. If the highlight of their gameplay is killing other people for fun, then that doesn't sound very survival oriented. It's not that the problem is people are PvPing aimlessly; it's that they're doing it because there's little else to do.

Edited by Ywain

The mod was more entertaining when I was bad at it, surprisingly.

This sums up the argument for limiting military grade weapons nicely. The time of wonder and mystery is the most exciting time in games like DayZ. When you take out the uncertainty, you lose a lot of the appeal. A man with a CZ550 acting as overwatch makes for a much more intense and interesting experience than having a guy with a thermal scope/NVG, semi-auto sniper, and ghillie suit at your back.

It makes sense to have sniper rifles, it makes sense to have basic military weapons. All this spec-ops crap everywhere....really? US and Russian armies threw the best of the best at zombies in a back water? Seems like a job for the infantry IMO...

• Like 3

"The PvP is pretty meaningless ATM, so I don't know. I'm forced to look to other approaches to making this game fun. Flying solo and trying to help noobs and shit. Trolling people with mics."

Reading comprehension skills are at an all time high, I see.

I also find it amusing that the approach to people discontent with the game is "don't be a part of this community, then." This game is an alpha. It is subject to changing. Like the game at its current state? Cool. Don't expect it to last, though. Rocket does intend to take it beyond the current state its at, because at the moment, it's an incomplete game. The game at the current moment has a highly undeveloped survival aspect and basically serves as a sandbox that slowly gravitates more experienced players to treating it like a shooter due to lack of things to do. Rocket himself has mentioned promoting group play and having more end game content during his interviews, IIRC.

Starting your post out with an insult? Classy. Getting past that, "trying to help noob and shit" is not really looking at other approaches. It sounds like you thought "hey, someone must enjoy this, why I try it", and then decided "fuck it". "Trolling people with mics" is also not another approach to fun. That, as you said yourself, just trolling. Trolling does not a game make. Also, I never said anyone who thinks the game needs improvement should leave. I said that YOU, and you alone, should leave. You obviously hate the game. You said yourself "It's gotten pretty dull." Why play a game that's dull. I'm not telling you that you must leave, but trying to help you by advising you go find a game that you actually enjoy. Instead, you come on the forum and bitch about how the game is dull and not enjoyable. You could be spending your time doing something better.

This sums up the argument for limiting military grade weapons nicely. The time of wonder and mystery is the most exciting time in games like DayZ. When you take out the uncertainty, you lose a lot of the appeal. A man with a CZ550 acting as overwatch makes for a much more intense and interesting experience than having a guy with a thermal scope/NVG, semi-auto sniper, and ghillie suit at your back.

It makes sense to have sniper rifles, it makes sense to have basic military weapons. All this spec-ops crap everywhere....really? US and Russian armies threw the best of the best at zombies in a back water? Seems like a job for the infantry IMO...

Agreed. Having a partner with a CZ with 2 mags is far more interesting then some dude who's carrying a AS50 with 7 mags + ghillie.

I don't know, to me its just more fun when zombies are actually a threat

Starting your post out with an insult? Classy. Getting past that, "trying to help noob and shit" is not really looking at other approaches. It sounds like you thought "hey, someone must enjoy this, why I try it", and then decided "fuck it". "Trolling people with mics" is also not another approach to fun. That, as you said yourself, just trolling. Trolling does not a game make. Also, I never said anyone who thinks the game needs improvement should leave. I said that YOU, and you alone, should leave. You obviously hate the game. You said yourself "It's gotten pretty dull." Why play a game that's dull. I'm not telling you that you must leave, but trying to help you by advising you go find a game that you actually enjoy. Instead, you come on the forum and bitch about how the game is dull and not enjoyable. You could be spending your time doing something better.

Sorry, I have this tendancy to insult idiots.

As for approaches to fun, who are you to decide what's fun for me? If scaring the shit out of someone on a mic entertains me, then clearly I'm having fun. Also, I do recall the regular stance being here that it's a sandbox and you make your own fun. So, sure, trolling a game does make. Furthermore, please point out where I claimed that I hated the game? I find it amusing your entire post is based on a strawman. Once again, if reading comprehension served you properly, you would understand my remark of "It's gotten pretty dull," is directed towards the standard approach to the game, but I guess skimming through posts and nerd raging gets where you are, eh? I do find it amusing how you refuse to acknowledge the fact that this game has a pretty horrible survival aspect at the moment. Zombies are a joke, food/water is a joke, diseases are a joke.

Edited by Ywain

I roleplay as a medic, i have a tent and a car with relativley high end gear, but this is because i choose to RP as a military medic who survived =P

Sorry, I have this tendancy to insult idiots.

As for approaches to fun, who are you to decide what's fun for me? If scaring the shit out of someone on a mic entertains me, then clearly I'm having fun. Also, I do recall the regular stance being here that it's a sandbox and you make your own fun. So, sure, trolling a game does make. Furthermore, please point out where I claimed that I hated the game? I find it amusing your entire post is based on a strawman. Once again, if reading comprehension served you properly, you would understand my remark of "It's gotten pretty dull," is directed towards the standard approach to the game, but I guess skimming through posts and nerd raging gets where you are, eh? I do find it amusing how you refuse to acknowledge the fact that this game has a pretty horrible survival aspect at the moment. Zombies are a joke, food/water is a joke, diseases are a joke.

Again, pretty much a whole post of insult. Classy. You say I'm "nerd raging", but I don't see anywhere where I was aggressive toward you. In fact, it has been the opposite. So far, you have just proven yourself to be a hateful troll. I will, however, amuse myself by giving you the satisfaction of a reply. I will reiterate, since you didn't get it the first time. Trolling players on a game is not an "approach" to said game. It is a guy who is so bored with his life, he plays a game he doesn't enjoy. I'm sorry that I assumed that bashing a game for being boring and dull means you dislike it. I guess someone should go change the definition of the word. I'd also like to point out that you contradicted yourself within your own post. First, you said "it's a sandbox and you make your own fun", but then you said "the standard approach to the game". If it is, as you claim, a game where you make your own fun, how can there be a standard approach to the game. It is the approach that you originally took, not the one everyone else did. Also, the survival aspect is not a joke. I will say this once again, since you missed it before. Use your imagination. Give yourself a handicap. Find some other people to fuck around with. Do something to entertain yourself instead of assuming the game designed to "make your own fun" will do it for you.

Edited by Sandwichx