Sign in to follow this  
Hendrix27

Don't blame the bandits, blame the victims.

When the subject of how hostile PvP is now comes up, people automatically point their fingers at the bandits. Its not entirely the bandits fault, its the victims fault. Personally I used to be the kind of bandit that robbed people instead of killing, but now that people just disconnect or 95% of the time turn around and open fire on me I don't even take the chance and I just shoot first and ask questions later. And I think thats how most bandits are thinking now. So my theory is that its the actions of the victims that are causing bandits to just shoot people on sight.

This is JUST a theory, so no flaming if you disagree please. I'd like to have maybe one civil conversation on this forum?

• Like 6

This is JUST a theory, so no flaming if you disagree please. I'd like to have maybe one civil conversation on this forum?

+1 beans

So, who do I blame when a group of mine and myself were killed by an invisible person?

You can either blame a sniper or a hacker.

When the subject of how hostile PvP is now comes up, people automatically point their fingers at the bandits. Its not entirely the bandits fault, its the victims fault. Personally I used to be the kind of bandit that robbed people instead of killing, but now that people just disconnect or 95% of the time turn around and open fire on me

So wait... it's the victim's fault that KoS has gone up because they shoot you for digging through their backpack?

Part of the risk of being a bandit is that you're going to get shot at. It's just part of the game, and human nature I believe.

The disconnecting is very frustrating though. Something as simple as having your body persist for 5-10 seconds after a disconnect would do a lot to curb this behavior, but it's also going to penalize someone who legit disconnects in the middle of looting, and has a zombie wander by.

It seems hypocritical to me to bitch about people taking advantage of the ability to switch servers (server hopping) or combat disconnecting, while being totally ok with people using teamspeak, metagaming, etc.

Day Z is a game where everyone is doing everything they can to win. They are metagaming, using external resources, etc.

To all those people who say "man up and deal with it" in regards to the absolutely shitty, unrealistic teamwork mechanics, I say they can man up and deal with the combat d/cs as well.

Edited by Dr. Toros

Okay,

Your complaint is that you're killing people now because 1) people are fighting back, or two 2) the mechanics prevent you from robbing people the way you desire. With option 1, your threat of violence obviously is not a big enough threat, or your victims are poorly chosen and have nothing to lose by dying. With option 2, your only choice is to complain that the games mechanics prevent the sore of highwayman scenario you desire.

Your post is hinged upon the fact that you can't play the way you want to play, so you say that you're being forced to engage in a type of behavior you would rather not. So you've essentially become part of the problem if you subscribe to the viewpoint that robbing is preferable to random killing.

Nothing wrong with your post mind you, just that it's not the victims fault either, it's that player behaviors are dictated by and large by the game design. Players will pick the path of least resistance that corresponds with their playstyle. At this time there aren't any game mechanics to encourage better behaviors either by the bandits or the victims.

• Like 1

It seems hypocritical to me to bitch about people taking advantage of the ability to switch servers (server hopping) or combat disconnecting, while being totally ok with people using teamspeak, metagaming, etc.

Day Z is a game where everyone is doing everything they can to win. They are metagaming, using external resources, etc.

To all those people who say "man up and deal with it" in regards to the absolutely shitty, unrealistic teamwork mechanics, I say they can man up and deal with the combat d/cs as well.

This is still gaming, to some extent there is going to be the use of teamspeak and whatnot. Exploitation of server hopping and disconnecting is not alright though.
  • Like 1

Part of the risk of being a bandit is that you're going to get shot at. It's just part of the game, and human nature I believe.

The disconnecting is very frustrating though. Something as simple as having your body persist for 5-10 seconds after a disconnect would do a lot to curb this behavior, but it's also going to penalize someone who legit disconnects in the middle of looting, and has a zombie wander by.

Well yeah of course it is, but I'm saying if nobody is going to comply to robbery and just shoot, then bandits are going to stop trying to rob and just kill on sight.

The difference being that the devs are okay with people using Teamspeak/Vent/etc, but have specifically said that disconnecting from a server to avoid dying is an exploit.

My response to an ingame robbery would be the same as if you tried to rob me in person: if you want to take from me what I worked hard to get, then I am going to make you earn it. Hell, if I give you my stuff, how do I know you aren't just going to shoot me any way? In my mind, if someone pulled a gun on me in game, I'm already dead. So if I'm going to die, then so are you.

• Like 1

simple you become immune to zombies but not players, it wont help pve but it will help pvp

My response to an ingame robbery would be the same as if you tried to rob me in person: if you want to take from me what I worked hard to get, then I am going to make you earn it. Hell, if I give you my stuff, how do I know you aren't just going to shoot me any way? In my mind, if someone pulled a gun on me in game, I'm already dead. So if I'm going to die, then so are you.

From a bandits point of view, we would just shoot you if we wanted to kill you. When I'm robbing someone I just want to take what I need without any blood being spilled.

From a bandits point of view, we would just shoot you if we wanted to kill you. When I'm robbing someone I just want to take what I need without any blood being spilled.

From a victims point of view, you are taking from me what I need. You believe you have a right to take my stuff. Well, I know I have a right to try and keep you from taking it. If you don't want to have to spill blood, then don't try to rob people; loot houses and barns. Otherwise get ready to use your gun. I know I'm ready to use mine.

• Like 1

People just need to start understanding that perma-death coupled with 1-hit kills make for some very paranoid players. Even a possible friendly will be really anxious and still pull the trigger if you point your gun in his direction.. even when he wasn't planning to kill you.

Myself for example. If I get the drop on someone who's armed I won't reveal my position but I tell them through direct that I have them sighted and ask if they're friendly. 9/10 people so far decided to either start spinning circles trying to find me or sprint away in a random direction, forcing me to shoot them for my own safety. If they would have had responded I would've let them go.

From a victims point of view, you are taking from me what I need. You believe you have a right to take my stuff. Well, I know I have a right to try and keep you from taking it. If you don't want to have to spill blood, then don't try to rob people; loot houses and barns. Otherwise get ready to use your gun. I know I'm ready to use mine.

Well if we all just looted houses and barns then there wouldn't be any PvP. But this is besides the point, I don't have a problem with people protecting their stuff. I'm just saying if nobody is ever going to comply to robbery and open fire then bandits wont even try to rob people and just shoot them in the back.

Hey, it's a survival sim, right? Survival is zero sum. For a bandit to win, a victim has to lose. The only way to stop a bandit is to kill them.

I'd rather be robbed than murdered but that's just me.

If there was a greater chance of being robbed than outright killed I believe people would accept that over the alternative.

The difference being that the devs are okay with people using Teamspeak/Vent/etc, but have specifically said that disconnecting from a server to avoid dying is an exploit.

And teamspeak/vent is here to stay. It's just the way gaming is now. At least vent/ts doesn't impact the players ability to use the in game direct communication the way it does on consoles.

I'd rather be robbed than murdered but that's just me.

If there was a greater chance of being robbed than outright killed I believe people would accept that over the alternative.

If alt+f4 didn't exist then there would be.

*Edit, but hell even without alt+f4 people can still disconnect. Its just ridiculous.

Edited by Hendrix27

Well if we all just looted houses and barns then there wouldn't be any PvP. But this is besides the point, I don't have a problem with people protecting their stuff. I'm just saying if nobody is ever going to comply to robbery and open fire then bandits wont even try to rob people and just shoot them in the back.

I can see that role playing is something that you're trying to achieve in these scenarios, you want to be the highwayman, but who in their right mind is going to comply with robbery? I mean really? Especially if you're both holding guns. You've only got to look through youtube videos to see how most gun on gun robberies end, usually someone getting shot. We are wired with the fight or flight response, we either stand and fight or run for safety, either way the bandits going to shoot and would probably still shoot if you would make the unusual choice of surrendering

Blaming the victim for defending themselves and the cause of shoot on sight is just ridiculous. If there wasn't anyone trying to rob someone else or pointing guns and threatening to kill there would be a lot less shootings. " Cause and effect refers to the philosophical concept of causality. Causality is the relationship between an event (the cause) and a second event (the effect), where the second event is understood as a consequence of the first "

You're merely blaming the consequence, the effect ( the victim shooting back ) instead of the cause ( the bandit pointing a gun at the victim threatening to kill them ).

Edited by Ammo

I was chased by a dude with an Hatchet for 30 minutes before I just chose to disconnect, its not always a certain groups fault.