Sign in to follow this  
Fryseboks

Worth picking up ARMA 2: Combined Operations for this?

It's currently 19.99 euro on steam, 20% off. I'm not really interested in Arma 2 at all, but this mod seems awesome.

However paying 20 euro for essentially playing an alpha mod seems a little stupid. Also, how hard is it to get things to work? I'd preferably not buy it and then spend 4 hours trying to get DayZ to work.

Anyone else bought Arma 2 just for this?

Edited by Fryseboks

You tell us. It's your money and your enjoyment.

I bought Arma 2 for this, and I liked it, but that shouldn't really influence your decision. What matters is if you think it's worth it.

Edited by Techercizer

Plenty of people have bought Arma just for the mod. Go ahead and try Arma X and get familiar with the game and see if you like the gun play and feel of the game. You are paying for Armed Assault, not Day Z, always keep that in mind. The game will go standalone eventually.

It's currently 19.99 euro on steam, 20% off. I'm not really interested in Arma 2 at all, but this mod seems awesome.

However paying 20 euro for essentially playing an alpha mod seems a little stupid. Also, how hard is it to get things to work? I'd preferably not buy it and then spend 4 hours trying to get DayZ to work.

Anyone else bought Arma 2 just for this?

It's what I did. Maybe the best $30 I ever spent, and I've never touched ARMA itself.

We can't decide if your going to like it or not. Its your own choice.

In my opinion its worth it. Your opinion may differ. But please, if you do buy it to play this mod, dont come back here throwing a tantrum saying it sucks and you deserve/ want/ need your money back/refund what ever else you want to call it. Your buying Arma 2 and Arma 2:Operation Arrowhead. Not DayZ. DayZ is a free mod in testing and may be ported over to Arma 3 or go stand alone before long. No one but the devs know if and when this will happen. So chances are if you buy Arma2 now you will be buying something more in the near future to continue testing or begin playing should it go to release.

Yes.. I robbed my post from the other thread I answered this question in.. Too lazy to rewrite. :P

Honestly, I'd wait until the mod is more developed. There's a lot of really important features missing, and most rational people will exaust the current content in less than a month of play.

If we buy Arma 2 and all the requirements along with Day Z and in 1 year (or w.e) Day Z becomes a stand-alone game would we have to buy it or already have it through our purchase of Arma 2: CO?

Well thanks for your input. I'm kind of considering to get it.

Also, how hard is it to get it to work properly?

Steam has a massive sale going on, there's a very good chance ARMA2 may be one of the titles discounted at some point during the sale.

Well thanks for your input. I'm kind of considering to get it.

Also, how hard is it to get it to work properly?

It's definitely not for the inexperienced to try on their own, but there's a plethora of guides on the subject all around these forums and the internet at large; if you're familiar with troubleshooting and looking up solutions to your problems, you shouldn't have much of an issue. Provided your hardware is up to snuff.

Steam has a massive sale going on, there's a very good chance ARMA2 may be one of the titles discounted at some point during the sale.

It's been discounted the whole sale. It's right on the front page. You can get it even cheaper at the BIS website, though, and it even comes with a Steam download.

Edited by Techercizer

As others have said. I bought ArmA 2 just for DayZ, havent even touched ArmA yet but do not regret the decision at all. Ive never been so immersed in a game before. Its the only game ive played where once I die and lose EVERYTHING I spent hours getting, that i cant wait to start over and do it again. lol.

I would recommend getting it, if you think you will like the mod.

I wouldn't do it unless you're absolutely sure you're going to love it. There's a steep learning curve and you will be frustrated frequently by bugs, bandits, etc.

Oh well fuck it, 19.99 euro is less than a movie ticket with popcorn where I live.

Wish me welcome :D 15GB download through steam though.

Edited by Fryseboks

Oh well fuck it, 19.99 euro is less than a movie ticket with popcorn where I live.

Wish me welcome :D 15GB download through steam though.

FUCK now I want popcorn.