omgwtfbbq (DayZ)

Controversial Topic: BANDITRY IS DEAD.

I'm usually kind-ish about it. I remember one time in a firehouse there was a guy facing a wall, I went up and told him to drop his fucking gun. If he turns I'll blow his balls on the walls. He dropped his weapons, I put them in my backpack and then broke his legs and bandaged him so he wouldn't die on me. I took everything that I wanted out of his backpack then said I was going to drop morphine on the other side of the fire house so he could fix his legs. I didn't tell him but I dropped his guns at the door with 1 mag each for them so he wouldn't be completely defenseless.

I feel this method is much more entertaining that just shooting people and killing them.

Now, THAT is emergent gameplay.

I have to say that in usual game terms and even real life social terms, I'm normally a "live and let live" kind of guy. I'm the type who wouldn't kill the the Little Sisters. However, it didn't take me long to develop a "kill them before they kill you" attitude in DayZ. Interestingly, I don't really feel any remorse or moral quandary about it IN THIS GAME. I think you're mostly forced into that attitude by all of the things people have mentioned - exploits, lack of supportive mechanics, and douchbaggery.

I might be wrong, but I tend to think that a lot of people would either like to be robbed and/or killed in a more interesting way than sniped from the tree line, or have the exploits stitched up so that they themselves can be a little more creative and maybe even a little less fatal in their banditry. Not everyone has the balls to pull off a robbery like the guy in the vid' a few posts up though, and you're still going to have a good percent of players who would rather not take the chance and just kill from afar, people indiscriminately killing for shits and giggles, and cheats.

For me, up close and personal is where the real thrill of the PvP in this game exists. In one encounter, I hid in a building with an axe when I heard someone outside shooting. I closed the door, and waited to see if they'd pass, but the guy opened the door and came in, fully armed and ready for looting. I took to his face with my axe, and though he killed me in the end, I like to think that guy shit his pants when I jumped out swinging. I want more of that action.

Edited by Hoogley
  • Like 1

you mean you dont make noobs do your grocery shopping for you at gunpoint after taking their weapons off them?

the fun is what you make it with this game, this game is the core of the game isn't boring only the person playing it is boring

Hey I just met you, and this is crazy

But I have a gun, so be my bitch, maybe?

No one mugs because they get killed if they try. I don't know why you'd post a video that only shows why it's stupid not to shoot on site. If those muggers had just shot him, then one of them wouldn't be dead now.

Then they would have missed out on a cool gameplay experience. People are just too afraid to lose their characters that they miss out on so much potentially cool shit.

A failed highway robbery in the middle of the night lit up with roadflares would be so cool that it would be well worth a number of restarts.

• Like 1

one of the problems is that zombies genuinely dont pose enough of a threat currently. i recall someone saying/quoting rocket that he wants the game to involve the zombies a lot more. if there were more zombies spawning and they heard shots from further away it may make people think twice before shooting with no real reason (although the dc issue would also need sorting out for this to work).

one of the problems is that zombies genuinely dont pose enough of a threat currently. i recall someone saying/quoting rocket that he wants the game to involve the zombies a lot more. if there were more zombies spawning and they heard shots from further away it may make people think twice before shooting with no real reason (although the dc issue would also need sorting out for this to work).

it would be interesting to see the zombies do more, as in they can hear gunshots from farther away, but what i DON'T want to see is the super zombies from 1.7.2, or ones that can hear me crawling from 50 feet away. but making the zombies more of a threat is a good idea. but don't make them op.

If I tried to "rob" someone, they'd probably just alt+f4.

Best if I just put a bullet in their head before they mash their get out of trouble for free keys.

Edited by Ssgt_Perez

I agree, perhaps Rocket will make humanity a meaningful mechanic at some point.. Or even better, make the zombies so difficult that team play is much preferred over gear-hunting then killing sprees on the coast.

Surrender animation only stays in arms up mode when you are unarmed and not moving.

Bohemia please fix that and i will give you *some* of my beans.

More than humanity, we need a REPUTATION system.

If you ask someone's name, you should be able to check his murders count. Then act as you want.

Edited by RastaKoueR

You can clearly see why people don't rob people like that anymore. If you just kill the person, there will not be any risks for the robber. In the video the robber get's killed because they gave the victim a second to react.

did we watch different videos? because the one i watched....nobody was killed...

My great idea to prevent mass murdering:

1. kill 10 people within 10 days = you start making zombie noises

2. kill 20 people within 10 days = you automatically kill every animal in a 100 meter radius

3. kill 30 people within 10 days = you tun into a zombie

4. don't kill someone for 5 days = someone can turn you back into a human by giving you a transfusion.

Haters gonna hate :beans:

:o

Well, being a bandit is a subjective topic. Some say "Hey, I'm a bandit because I'm a mass murderer and grief people!". Some say "Hey I'm a bandit because I rob people!". Either way you slice it, they're all bandits. The difference is, those who are robbing are RISKING their lives and putting themselves in danger. Any Bandit with the interest of obtaining someone's loot will tell you, "It's easier to shoot them and take the loot, than it is to attempt to rob them vocally." That's entirely true! But there's hundreds of players killing other players randomly without context or reason. I TRY to kill for a reason, but sometimes if a player looks at you with his gun pointed, you have no choice. Now, some would argue that I'm NOT an efficient bandit because me communicating vocally gives my prey a chance to become alarmed and try to engage me. I can't really refute that because, it's true - I'm in danger when I tell them I'm there and I want their gear. But, I consider it an added challenge to being a bandit. After awhile, shooting everyone you see instantly becomes too easy so instead I challenge myself with the task of robbing people.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, banditry is what players make it. Whether it's for beans, for their loot or just for lawls - it makes no difference. It's a matter of survival, so let's all see how we can survive.

PS. Ty OP for using my video as a reference to this controversial topic. It may open the eyes of some newer bandits who don't know their options when approaching players.

Edited by Acebane
  • Like 6

Now, some would argue that I'm NOT an efficient bandit because me communicating vocally gives my prey a chance to become alarmed and try to engage me. I can't really refute that because, it's true - I'm in danger when I tell them I'm there and I want their gear. But, I consider it an added challenge to being a bandit. After awhile, shooting everyone you see instantly becomes too easy so instead I challenge myself with the task of robbing people.

*salutes* Now that's what i call a true gamer! Seriously everyone in this forum should give you their beans. ;)

Edited by leeo38

*salutes* Now that's what i call a true gamer! Seriously everyone in this forum should give you their beans. ;)

Haha, thanks man. Just a matter of keeping things interesting.

I will do that in a server "non oficial" WHERE NO one abort, is like i kill 4 unarmed survivors (cuz we are all reading to balota) and no one abort, after that i kill like more 10 ppl NO one abort, and the days before is exact like no one abort cuz you have to stop playing...By the way... i will bind my key now (only lock hands up if don't have a weapon)

Yeah yesterday I was in Cherno hospital near the flats getting supplies. Got shot at a few times by a silenced weapon then I was dead. Weird thing was that I was behind the wall behind the counter so I should have been able to see where he was. Couldn't at all. Ran back to my body and nothing was taken. My mate who was in a flat didn't see anything happen, not even an attempt from the killer to get to my stuff. Pisses me off.

I actually had a situation after I spawned where a bandit on voice told me to leave all my stuff and get out, unluckily for him I had no stuff so I told him no and he either shot me or let me walk. I walked and no shots fired. THAT was such an intense moment and made the game for me. I would love to see more of this but at the moment its not safe to do as you get people DC or just shoot on sight and take the stuff... make it worthwhile robbing someone compared to shooting and looting

• Like 1

why would the entire human race wipe each other out, rather than trying to restore the population?

why do people make war and kill each other to bring peace?

both makes no sense to me

• Like 1

It's not dead it's just an idiot named murderers and pyschos, bandits.

ban·dit

1. a robber, especially a member of a gang or marauding band.

2. an outlaw or highwayman.

3. Informal .

a.a person who takes unfair advantage of others, as a merchant who overcharges; swindler; cheat.

b.a vendor, cab driver, etc., who operates a business or works without a required license or permit, and without observing the usual rules or practices.

Edited by TheCenturion

So you're talking about actively discouraging a particular behavior that isn't an exploit or cheating. How is that not a punishment, exactly?

To clarify, I'm not one of these mass murderers. I've been shot/killed by them before. To me, having these sorts of players in the game adds to the level of paranoia that we all experience during play. I ENJOY that feeling, and I don't want it robbed from me because somebody is mad that they keep walking into Cherno and getting shot.

I understand that you don't LIKE that particular behavior and you may even think that it's detrimental to the game as a whole, but what you're advocating IS a punishment. Call a spade a spade, at least. If you want to advocate punishments, fine, but don't try to color them as something other than what they are.

I'm even ok with providing players incentives to work together - I just don't want there to be consequences that completely wipe out this particular brand of banditry. It creates a more tense atmosphere and in my opinion, adds to the game as a whole. Trust is a tenuous thing and it should continue to be as such.

I dont think we should discourage any sort of playstyle, you will always have the shoot on sight players and we should have them. What I think ( and what I would like ) is to remove the glitches and problems so people cant disconnect so players can try other styles like robbing people and leaving them alive ( but maybe a dry slap to make your exit safer )

• Like 1

It's not dead it's just an idiot named murderers and pyschos, bandits.

ban·dit

1. a robber, especially a member of a gang or marauding band.

2. an outlaw or highwayman.

3. Informal .

a.a person who takes unfair advantage of others, as a merchant who overcharges; swindler; cheat.

b.a vendor, cab driver, etc., who operates a business or works without a required license or permit, and without observing the usual rules or practices.

Thisis the thing, we need to call bandits bandits and anyone who just shoots on sight from afar murderers...Make the badge of being called a bandit something to be proud of ( although the game mechanics need to change to allow people that freedom )

Well i'm not ashamed to admit that i'm one of the ruthless murderers who roams the map listening endlessly for the distant gun shots of careless players.

I'm usually out on my own. I normally follow a target for 20-30mins to see where they're going, but when the time comes I drop them. I generally kill everyone I see. Forgetting the laws and rules of society, why i wouldn't I stay safe and alive, and kill other threats?

Survivors/Bandits draw out zombies and other players. I like my claimed area to be safe so i will always kill any threat.

I like you survivors though. Sometimes when i'm stalking an organised group of 3 or 4 i often think of myself as the Forever Alone troll face meme.

Peace

When alt f4 gets a fix, banditry will take on a new face. Untill then, the first you will hear from me, is your bones breaking and the unconscious meter slapping you across the nugget.

• Like 1