Sign in to follow this  
BossFi

Death should reset you back 6 hours.

The appeal of perma death back to start is going to fade, especially when players start to become better at the game and end up lasting many hours only to find their carful hardwork is constantly getting wiped out completely each time.

I suggest when you die you only reset back 6 hours of in game time. So if I have played 12 hours I will reset back to where I was 6 hours ago. So each death costs you 6 hours of game time.

If you die, you die. And that's the beauty of it.

And you can have the best weapon, all the gear, enough beans and soda for a week and perhaps even a helicopter. But you are still as mortal as any man and a lucky shot with a Makarov will bring you down for that's how it is in real life.

In fact, this game is a little kinder because you can jog as much as you want and don't have to worry about the health effects of drinking this much soda. :P

If anything, the game isn't harsh enough. Afterall, if you've got mates nice enough to stick around and guard your body, you can run back and pick up your crap, no harm no foul.

Perma death may be fun now but months down the line you'll be playing on a empty server by yourself as perma death doesnt have lasting appeal. So good luck!

Permadeath makes it harder to build up your equipment, which is half the fun of dayz

There are plenty of zombie games out there, if you don't like perma death, this is probably not the game for you.

Perma death is the whole point of it, getting rid of it would defeat the whole object of the game.

I read this threads title and was expecting a suggestion about blocking a respawn for x number of hours after you'd died (no instant spawns)- instead it's just another carebear suggestion.

Edit: just thought of an other reason why this shouldnt be implemented: I get m4, 12 hours later I die but because six hours ago I had an m4 I repawn with it. The guy who killed me loots my m4. Now we both have m4s and suddenly this rarish gun is not so rare and could potentially duplicate exponentially. Just no

Perma death may be fun now but months down the line you'll be playing on a empty server by yourself as perma death doesnt have lasting appeal. So good luck!

If anything, DayZ would simply be returned to its little 'realistic zombie survival' niche of players and we'd actually be able to join our favourite servers again.

This mod was never supposed to reach mainstream appeal and it's inevitable that DayZ's going to lose some players as the 'flavour of the week' addiction wears off. The way the situation with the server load currently is? That's a good thing.

OP has a point I think. I'm not playing for that long, but I already gets a bit on my nerves that looting and getting good weapons is pointless as you will die and lose it all anyway. I am basically looting for 12 hours for bandits not for my gain. Or worse, I am spending 12 hours on staying alive and getting good loot to die on a ladder lol.

Im am against this idea. This would lead to the situation like in MMOs where you have a server full of players with uber gear and a few newbies running with makarovs getting slaughtered by bandits. Also there would be even more reason to become a bandit if after some time you could die and know that when you respawn you will still have your sniper rifle or AK. Right now when I'm strolling the land, and see two newbies with so-so equipment, and I have better gear, I consider my chances of attack, because I could lose everything. If your idea came into life I could easily abuse this system after few hours of play, always coming back to uber weapons I had six hours ago. Let's say I have a sniper rifle for a long time now, I had a shitty last six hours, didn't find anything good, and then had an encounter with the zeds or bandits and lost all of my ammo. What do I do? I die, so I can get back the good gear and full ammo I had six hours ago. I'm afraid this idea wouldn't go well with the concept of the game.

Death should reset you back 6 hours = NO..

If you die, you die. In 95% of cases its your own fault for not being clever enough. Just deal with it.

@Marsten, yeah thats true too. But this could be tweaked if bandits would have repercussions. So maybe a good repercussion to only give friendlies the ability to set back time by 6 hours. If you want to be the bad guy in DayZ then you simply wont have that option and if you die you lose everything. The ones that use their weapons and loot for the good gets rewarded by gear reaspawn and the bad boys don't get anything.

And you base this conclusion on what? Your own opinion? lol

The entire reason this mod is popular is because we want a HARD game and not some dev catering to casuals such as yourself.

Horrible fucknig idea.

I'm so sick of games nowadays resorting to dumb shit like this.

I used to play ultima online and shit suggestions like, this are what ruined that a lead to the common ass horrible ass game like WoW.

Totally fucking over any creativity and a cool game.

DO NOT LISTEN TO OP

no. death is permanent. get rid of carebear ideas like this FAST.

Fine, then at least give bandits some repercussions as it is too attractive to be one. Bandits don't play the coop zombie game, they just play to piss people off and to be an Ahole (generally speaking).

A setback of X hours would encourage afk and idleing. Servers are full enough as it stands. As for the game losing its appeal, bluntly put... no. The game is in alpha and every change or new system/mechanic that gets introduced will bring people back to try it out. Eventually the game will be interesting enough that death wipes will be just another reason to start having fun all over again.

Otherwise the game will serve a smaller community. Since its not a game that's being sold it doesn't really matter.

Fine' date=' then at least give bandits some repercussions as it is too attractive to be one. Bandits don't play the coop zombie game, they just play to piss people off and to be an Ahole (generally speaking).

[/quote']

I am for some mild repercussions for the bandits, but the idea for permadeath only for them would totally change the balance of the game the other way.

1) There would be no use for being a bandit anymore.

2) People who became bandits by accident would be fucked basically because of a bug. If some guy shot at you, and you returned fire and killed him in self defence, or even had an itchy trigger finger and shot him by accident than you are by no means a real bandit, yet you are branded as one, and can lose all your gear just like them.

In summary my opinion is permadeath should stay, and Rocket should implement some other, less game changing, way of balancing the bandit/survivor relations.

I'm not going to pretend to have read every post nor will I read any after this.

Rocket has already said he would let the mod die than cater to carebears.

I'm not going to pretend to have read every post nor will I read any after this.

Rocket has already said he would let the mod die than cater to carebears.

It's his (awesome) mod so thats his prerogative! But, I think we all are suggesting some balancing and providing our ideas, how he balances it is up to him! I think it is possible to keep it hardcore, but also add some fairness to it (thus bandit repercussions) instead of letting it become an Ahole paradise that everyone gets fat up with after a while. If I want to play with Aholes I play EVE.

Oh god no... please no sort of half-arsed "respawn" with alot of stuff...

one of the main appeals of this game is the tension you get from knowing that if you die, all your stuff are gone 4ever (unless you find the guy that killed you).

I know some people cant seem to handle that kind of pressure (hence so many Alt-F4'ers) but if you cant you really shouldnt be playing this game... its not for you.