Harris (DayZ)

DayZ should become a stand alone game using a different engine.

Even if another Engine were capable of running a Map the size of Chenarus, that simply wouldn't be enough to switch to that Engine. I get the impression that a lot of you have no idea how much Work and Time would be required to make such a switch.

Rocket, to start, is familiar with the Arma 2 Engine, is using a standard Map, and using standard items within the Map. A switch to another Engine would require creating a Map, Weapons, Vehicles, Characters, other Items, Animations, and even mountains of Code. Simply too daunting a task for Rocket to do alone as he would have to relearn the Ins/Outs of the new Engine before starting(itself something that takes Months). Even if he had a Team familiar with the new Engine, it would take probably at least a year to throw something together that resembles a functioning game. That game though, would likely be missing key features available in the current Mod, because the Arma 2 Engine has many features built in that other Engines simply do not have. All this said, such a Team Costs lots of $ and would likely require 20-100 Individuals that need to be Managed in directions they are unfamiliar with(Realism).

• Like 1

Rocket has stated he loves the ARMA engine so im thinking that will not change, He has also said as the game is now it has out grown what ARMA 2 can provide, So i think you can rest assure that something will happen soon, end of year at least if i heard right.

This is not the first Zombie mod nor will it be the first Zombie game.

What makes this mod stand out is the Arma engine without it, it would just be another generic Zombie shooter.

No other game has more weapons than the arma series

No other game can offer the First person Scale of map size that Arma offers

Putting the mod onto any other game engine would be a bad move and In my opinion would reduce it to the level of any other generic zombie shoot em up on small maps.

Yes arma has some bugs but we are also getting beta patches at a staggering rate and always have done.

Before you Slag of the Arma engine I suggest you play something other than dayz on it to at least understand the sheer size of the Engine and its items.

I have been playing games since Quake and I have played allot of different games Arma is the only game atm that has the Engine that can run dayz. Anything else would feel small and cheap.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

It is a failing series the only reason people have bought or even heard of ArmA is because DayZ. Most people don't like ArmA at all and just get it for DayZ.

You, sir, are full of crap! People have been playing BIS games for years before DayZ came along. Probably even before you grew your first pubes! And if you are indeed a tad older than that, you should be able to look up what "failing" means. In what universe does a series that has been played for 11 years and is on it's way to another title, constitute a "failing series"? You have no clue!

I'm happy for BIS that this mod provided an unexpected payday for them, but the huge amount of ignorant and infantile people it came with...I could do without. The game was doing just fine without them.

• Like 1

Listen I know it would be very difficult for Rocket and the team to make it on a different engine starting from scratch. All I was saying is how much better the game could be on another engine. Also mercator the fact of the matter is ArmA is one of the most hated fps games out there so I am really happy that you have been playing for years, but its just not that popular for MOST people.

You, sir, are full of crap! People have been playing BIS games for years before DayZ came along.

Yea and the overwhelming consensus was "interesting niche, buggy piece of shit."

Yes, you can build your own castles/villages/buildings.. The concept is great but i dont think it'll hit off in the western world being an asian mmo(past experiences)

they have real time crops and trees and shit that grow. Shit people can interact with, not just props. The world they have is seemless and huge. But not just huge, its dense fully of stuff. But thats asking too much for a mod creater with no real financial backing

. But thats asking too much for a mod creater with no real financial backing

Actually Rocket made a topic of how people would like to pay if it were a stand alone game. Kickstarter could get the off the ground almost immediately if they offered the things I stated before.

first of all, ArmA is not a failing series. it's a niche series that has been and will continue to do quite well, with or without DayZ. Second, no other game engine is designed to do what ArmA does, which is realistic, long range combat simulation. The incredibly vast spaces, the dense, realistic vegetation, the handling of land, air and water combat mixed with complex AI routines and unforgiving realism. Another existing engine might be able to handle a couple of these elements together, and even do them better than the ArmA toolset. But no EXISTING engine does the things ArmA does.

If you disagree with the above statement, you simply are not familiar with ArmA and what it is designed to do.

Now, with those facts established, the dayZ team has a choice. port the mod using the ArmA 3 engine, which they are intimately familiar with, or create an entirely new engine, which would require far more resources and manpower than they have. Seriously, which do you think they are going to choose.

• Like 2

I'm really torn on this. There are many MMO engines that offer much better multiplayer handling, security and frameworks for such a massive game that DayZ may grow up to. On the other hand ARMA 3 is really not that far away and it is expected to be less problematic than the ARMA 2 engine + there is the insider knowledge and the great support BIS has given towards DayZ, so not using it would almost be like biting the hand that feeds you.

Whatever platform or 3D engine Rocket decides to go with, anything will have better collision detection, usability standars and world physics than ARMA 2 does, so it doesn't really matter.

Listen I know it would be very difficult for Rocket and the team to make it on a different engine starting from scratch. All I was saying is how much better the game could be on another engine. Also mercator the fact of the matter is ArmA is one of the most hated fps games out there so I am really happy that you have been playing for years, but its just not that popular for MOST people.

t

lol cause DayZ really needs what is 'most popular for most people. LOL!!!! yes, they should port DayZ to the call of duty engine!!!!

The incredibly vast spaces, the dense, realistic vegetation

Yea it's so fun to hide in a bush whose foliage isn't even rendered on your opponent's screen. Large maps aside, everything about ArmA is broken, from security to environmental interaction to UI.

Now, with those facts established, the dayZ team has a choice. port the mod using the ArmA 3 engine, which they are intimately familiar with, or create an entirely new engine, which would require far more resources and manpower than they have. Seriously, which do you think they are going to choose.

I'm sure they're going to go with ArmA3, but you can expect DayZ to fail by doing so.

Edited by SeptusCap

Why do people keep acting like UE3 or CE3 cant do large maps? Have you played Crysis? Its not like that island is small...

The reason why these games dont have maps the size of ARMA2 isnt because they cant, its because the games being made on these engines dont require it. ARMA has a very niche market, most people dont really care for huge ass military simulations, and thats exactly the reason why ARMA is pretty much the only people doing this type of game. Not saying that ARMA is bad or anything, Ive had a lot of fun in it, but games like this that require a huge map arent a big market, and as such, most people use UE3 to make games that have small maps.

However, there still is a few examples of large maps in UE games. A great example of this is DCUO. We are talking about large cities full of buildings, NPCs, and cars, all while running great, and looking great. ARMA2 is full of maps that are mostly empty, with a few small towns, and when reaching any decently sized town the game runs like salted ass. While its not the worst looking game in the world, its not exactly a good looker either.

Hell, if I had the time and ability, I would recreate Chernarus in UDK just to show you it would work fine. This world isnt filled with much, its mostly empty with a few of the same buildings scattered around. The way ARMA2 handles far away buildings, geometry, trees, etc, is no different than how UE3, and basically every other engine does. I dont know if you guys know this or not, but the entire map isnt loaded into memory when you are playing it. There is a reason why your character turns into something from the PSX era when you zoom in on a city from afar. Its lowering the complexity and detail of everything you arent looking at, to make room for the detailed textures and geometry of the things you are looking at, and to free up the GPU to process these things. Thats exactly what UE3/CE3/every other major engine does.

All this talk really is pointless though, as the game is going to use an ARMA engine.

I'm sure they're going to go with ArmA3, but you can expect DayZ to fail by doing so.

Not even close to being true.

People dont play games because of the engine they are using. If DayZ goes retail, it will be able to make drastic changes to the engine to fit it to what DayZ requires. Though it might not run as well as it could on a different engine, people will be sticking around because the core gameplay is so fun, and so different from everything else thats being offered.

The only reason DayZ would fail, is if someone does everything DayZ is doing, yet does it better. Thats probably not going to happen.

This talk is not pointless at all. It does not matter to me what engine DayZ will be made with I just wanted to have the community say what they think. Yes it will most likely be made with Real virtuality engine 4, but that doesn't mean we can't talk about if that would be mistake or not. Honestly I never thought this post would get so many replies and I am happy to see that the community has taken a interest in the matter.

Edited by Harris

it's to the point where to get it to work on another engine, you would have to copy so many features from Arma. I mean, in how many of these games can you look around while you're running?

Also mercator the fact of the matter is ArmA is one of the most hated fps games out there so I am really happy that you have been playing for years, but its just not that popular for MOST people.

And contrary to what you seem to believe...that's actually a good thing. Variety is the spice of life, fella, and if you think that quantity equals quality, you're bound to miss out on some fine things in life. Also, BIS has never marketed Arma as an fps game, the fact that you can shoot guns in it, does not make it a typical fps game! But granted...that's where a lot of people go wrong, so why should you be any different...

Yea and the overwhelming consensus was "interesting niche, buggy piece of shit."

Again, nobody is forcing people to buy or play Arma. But apparently people like their zombies, so whoopteedoo...here come the masses. But people need to come to terms with the fact that DayZ is an Arma mod, with Arma AI, on an Arma map, with Arma weapons and vehicles, thought up and made by an employee of the company that creates Arma...in fact...this whole thing is based on Arma... Could it be made on a different engine? Sure, probably. I might even try it out. But for now...all y'all will have to do with "the most hated fps out there". The irony...

I wouldn't mind trying DayZ on a new engine but one of the reasons I've fallen in love with this mod is because or the Arma 2 engine. My only grievance with the Arma 2 engine in movement inside buildings or in a close quarters area.

This talk is not pointless at all. It does not matter to me what engine DayZ will be made with I just wanted to have the community say what they think. Yes it will most likely be made with Real virtuality engine 4, but that doesn't mean we can't talk about if that would be mistake or not. Honestly I never thought this post would get so many replies and I am happy to see that the community has taken a interest in the matter.

Well Im not saying the topic will be locked, Im saying arguing about if others engines can do this game or not is rather pointless. Its going to be using ARMA3s engine no matter what our opinion is. So yeah, its pointless. Not saying we cant discuss what we think of other engines and how it would work or not work, its just none of this will convince Rocket to jump ship to a different engine.

it's to the point where to get it to work on another engine, you would have to copy so many features from Arma. I mean, in how many of these games can you look around while you're running?

Well thats not exactly something that would be hard to add into a game... There isnt much ARMA 2 does that isnt done else where. Really...of the top of my head...I guess zooming and free look. Thats about it.

Having checked out some vids on engines, i must say that all of a sudden I would like DayZ to stay on the Arma engine... Don't get me wrong CE looks great, but it also looks so damned pollished and the glare, ohwmy, all the assets also give me that 'asian mmo' feel for some reason. It may sound somewhat weird but when i checked out that vid in this thread my conclusion was that the engine looked as cheesy as the music that came with it. How out of place would a bunch of zombies look in such a happy polished glared engine ?!

For some reason the Arma engine has this 'real' feel to it, it feel ruggid and that compliments the game DayZ is, i don't want a 'happy cheerfull asian MMO feel' when i play DayZ, i want an end of the world rugged world that feels like it fights me every mile...

Another thing about the current DayZ interface, mostly inventory and stuff, likely comming from the Arma2 engine, for a military shooter that interface shits beans, realy clunky and unintuitive... but after 2 weeks i like exactly that for DayZ, the fact that your backpack is so hard to interface with it sort of resembles how you would have to take it off your back, open it, look through the mess that is in there just to find what you are looking for, and all that while you can only keep track of the world with your ears... the whole frustration of it actually adds to the DayZ experience, esp. when you take into account that a lot of games have this easy click and shift interface that makes it so easy that you hardly notice it's there... well for DayZ that would actually reduce the experience, remember when back in school you had to open your backpack and for some reason the weight had tightened the not and you were messing with it, and then the teacher said page42 everyone and you were still trying to open that friggin bag... Thats how the interface feels for DayZ, and while sure it adds frustration in regards to what we are used to in other games (spoiled with i would almost say), but that is exactly the thing that makes it fit so well with DayZ...

So yeah, what i think is that BI should look at a lot of things DayZ wants to do, and figure out how to also make that work for Arma3, things like building bases, and distroying stuff, adding tools, have all sorts of inventory upgrades etc and so on... and use that for Arma3 in an Arma3 way, so that Rocket can use that engine to use all that stuff in a DayZ way. Whether or not DayZ stays a mod or stand alone, i think it should use the Arma3 engine, i would advocate going stand alone, but publish it by BI on the Arma3 engine, why couldn't a studio release 2 totally different games released on the same engine, happen all the time with all sorts of engines. We all know that DayZ will likely attrackt 500.000 customers atleast, and if some like the game they may also buy Arma3, all will just give a bigger target audience for BI and everybody is happy...

Edited by L0GIN

I will agree that ArmA's engine does have a lot of what DayZ needs and what makes the mod fun, but I do think that if you were to use something like CE3 it could expand and become even more. The survival in ArmA's engine is good, but there are so many flaws that its a little annoying. I would like to see DayZ grow as its own game on a different engine where it could fully make the game unique instead of following a lot from ArmA. The main part of DayZ for people is the size of the map. If it becomes its own game I think it should have various maps with ever building open to people and a overall better experience. If it was on a different engine with updated graphics you could be able to enjoy the maps realism even more. I think the game would excel more if it used something else. Would it keep the same survival aspects on a different engine, of course, with the added benefit of updated graphics, better performance, increased A.I, improved GUI, etc.

*stuff*

None of that needs to be exclusive to an engine. Also, the glare can be removed from CE3, and the assets have nothing to do with the engine.

• Like 1

SO if the game looked prettyer and had more polygons it would make it better? Wow what a moron. Even with the current engine, dated graphics and bugs, Dayz is still one of the best games (and the best mod) I have ever played. And I have been playing mods since the days of Quake 1.

Too those who feel the stand alone release should be on a different engine. I'm sure ea and activition both have clones being worked on as we speak that will no doubt cater to your interests.

• Like 2