Harris (DayZ)

DayZ should become a stand alone game using a different engine.

It is kinda funny how some people read what they want to read in comments and posts. I am saying overall the game would be a more enjoyable experience if it had updated graphics, better performance, better A.I, better GUI, better pathfinding, etc. Which is what you get with a updated engine. Thanks for reading only graphics though........

None of that needs to be exclusive to an engine. Also, the glare can be removed from CE3, and the assets have nothing to do with the engine.

Assets do have something to do with the amount of work you have to put in to make your game though, the biggest problem for dayZ-and-enterable-stuctures is not that the engine can't handle them, it's because Cherno (as the main map) has all the enterable buildings in the game. There are no more buildings available that can be entered, so to make more buildings enterable, you need to put a lot of work into them (or make everything look the same!). And building assets is the most time consuming thing in a game. Plus they also put strain on the engine due to their poligon needs (even though buildings can be made relatively poligon light), plus the textures put strain on the engine, as do normal maps, reflection maps, etc. And all these would have to be made ... so having ready to go assets that work with your game in the actual engine cuts down enormously on development time and resources! Edited by L0GIN

What do you think the real virtuality 4 engine is? But seeing how Arma is a failing IP(yes I read your thread) and those who created the most massive, realistic and in my opinion visually stunning sandbox allowing users the freedom to do what they please while constantly patching and offering free versions of their dlc(my guess is you never bought pmc)probably is a bad choice for rocket to go with. Arma 2 IMO was a technical marvel back in 2009 and I have not doubt the new engine will meet his requirements(especially after the sales bump).maybe watch some vids on Arma 3 and do some research before labeling things as failures.

Oh yeah I spent money on 5 different versions of the exact same game....because I am just that smart. Also a lot of people didn't even know ArmA existed until dayz. A lot of people don't want to buy ArmA just for dayz either (because they know they won't play the actual game....) Oh and yes they created the most amazing game ...that no ones ever heard or cared about....

Oh yeah I spent money on 5 different versions of the exact same game....because I am just that smart.

I bought the DLCs after spending time in Cherno and being repeatedly astounded by the engine, then I bought a second copy of ARMA II CO

I just wanted to give my money to such wondrously ambitious devs, think of it like kickstarter without the free tshirts

here's some of the moments that pushed me towards these purchases:

- i was able to navigate without a map or compass using stars and shadows

- a friend got lost because clouds were obscuring the north star, I looked up to see the same clouds infront of the same star!

- even more amazing, when I suggest he go by cassiopeia, he was able to google it and find it in the game

- someone nodded in agreement and I saw it

- checking the north star one night, I noticed the treetops swaying in the breeze

- sunrise

- sunset

- someone spoke in Direct chat and their lips moved

- butterflies

- bees

- I heard a helicopter rumbling several clicks away knew to get back to the treeline

- I played flashpoint when it was incredible

Edited by Sandy State Phantom

The PMC is dlc required for dayz weapons genius which bohemia gives you a low res version of for free. But because you and COD buddies have never heard of it nor cared about it, It is a fail game. It takes a true Idiot to dis what is unfamiliar.

(in an ideal world this game shouldn't have multiple render distances, else someone with max render will always kill someone without max render if the latter has 'fog' blocking them from seeing the former person, which will cause a lot of whining.)

That's actually kind of a shit idea as it just needlessly limits who can play the game. Hell, I can't even play DayZ as-is anymore because of that update that locked the view distance to what the server's set to. I could play just fine before by dropping view distance to about 600 or lower, but now it's unplayable*. Besides, many, many games have had variable view distance switches, has that been an issue there? It's just an entirely unnecessary version of forced-"equality".

*I'm not in a position to buy a new computer at the moment. Besides, my computer is capable of running ARMA II/Operation Arrowhead proper, it surpasses the minimum requirements. I expect it to run choppy at times, that's fine. But to be literally unplayable just because view distance is entirely server-controlled and I can't turn it down like I could a couple patches ago is simply moronic.

As for the main topic: So tell me, what engine would be more suitable for this game? What other engine could render a 221 square kilometer map seamlessly like Real Virtuality? What engine out there can render such a large map without cutting things into segments? Furthermore, what other engine would be capable of this and running all the simulation calculations and TrackIR? Real Virtuality 4, certainly, and I'd love to see it on BIS's new engine version, but what other engine out there would cut it?

It is kinda funny how some people read what they want to read in comments and posts. I am saying overall the game would be a more enjoyable experience if it had updated graphics, better performance, better A.I, better GUI, better pathfinding, etc. Which is what you get with a updated engine. Thanks for reading only graphics though........

I'm with you on "better performance", but again, what other engine out there could even hope to render all of Cherno as one object?

As for AI, they only AI in the mod are zombies, and since when have zombies been intelligent? From what I've seen and played myself, the AI is fairly intelligent for a collection of algorithms in normal ARMA II gameplay. Pathfinding... is pretty much the same thing. Even still, all of these, including GUI, can be tweaked and improved without changing engines at all.

As for the graphics, let's be honest here: BIS is not some gigantic AAA developer/publisher with millions of dollars to spend on their games, and even if they were they'd probably be pressured into making console-friendly arcade-like shooters to bring in the money for their multi-million dollar budget. (The same could be said for the bugs. They aren't dirt-broke, but they aren't pulling ing millions upon millions to make super-polished games.)

Of course their 2009 DX9 engine isn't going to look as nice as Crytek-EA's 2011 DX9/11(because why support 10? it's not like it's a valid DX library or anything) does, and the same likely goes for their newer engine. At the same time, have we seen CryEngine 3 rendering anything on the scale of Chernarus? Same question goes for Unreal 3 or any other engine suggested in this thread. If they could render that large a map at all- seamlessly, I might add; no loading cells- I doubt they'd look as "eye-candy" good as they're shown to be in their fancy promo videos.

At the end of the day... Harris, you are making a lot of very, very ignorant statements. Aside from the suggestions you've made that have been responded to, to say ARMA is a failing series when they greenlighted a sequel not too long ago- before DayZ, in fact- is just plain wrong. Additionally, people "not hearing about ARMA until DayZ" (or, more accurately, until some big-name youtubers made videos of varying quality about it) says nothing negative about the game's quality. You have to remember the kind of society gaming is today, where simplistic, easy, generic, rehashed, console-based games and very casual flash games are the big, popular games, and anyone with a fully functioning brain should know that popularity and quality are connected in any way whatsoever.

A new engine would be great but........... name an engine that has a map size of cherno where you could walk coast to coast with not one loading screen? people are comparing the map size to borderlands which is absurd

To xero. I am making ignorant statements? The game is HATED by a large amount of the gaming community. When I asked people and looked it up arma got very bad reviews. Have we seen anything on another engine like chenarus, no, because it has not been needed run through 18 miles of forest to get to one location.....this would not be to heavy on any engine considering there's not that much to render other than trees........oh and maybe a building in the forest that is pointless because you cannot enter it....

BIS should let Rocket mess with the source code. Much of the bugs pre existed well before the creation of DayZ and I think DayZ Dev Team does a better job than the parent company itself. Of course the better viable option would be to transfer over to Arma 3. We'll just have to wait and see.

Edited by L33tmoaf

Personally I'd hate to see Day Z moved to a different engine then again I loved OFP so I like the format this already has and I owned the game way before this mod and thoroughly enjoyed it. I dunno if I'd even like Day Z anymore if it didn't play like ArmA 2 does.

• Like 1

To xero. I am making ignorant statements? The game is HATED by a large amount of the gaming community. When I asked people and looked it up arma got very bad reviews. Have we seen anything on another engine like chenarus, no, because it has not been needed run through 18 miles of forest to get to one location.....this would not be to heavy on any engine considering there's not that much to render other than trees........oh and maybe a building in the forest that is pointless because you cannot enter it....

Sure arma 2's engine is not the best but it goes well for dayz. Also out of my 4 friends who bought arma 2 for dayz 3/4 have stopped playing dayz to play regular arma 2 because they like it alot.

And since you seem to know alot on engines name one that would work well for dayz

Since when is 8/10 a bad review? Also no one cares if the casual gamer community hates it (because they suck at it), the people who like this kind of game love it and that is enough.

Sure arma 2's engine is not the best but it goes well for dayz. Also out of my 4 friends who bought arma 2 for dayz 3/4 have stopped playing dayz to play regular arma 2 because they like it alot.

And since you seem to know alot on engines name one that would work well for dayz

I think he suggested unreal or Cryengine 3 on some first pages. :lol:

Long time Arma player here.

It's not about the size of the map that is the problem. The problem is the RV engine simulates and handles every instance of objects spawned into the map meaning that a tin can at NWAF is in your game while you are on the shore. This isn't important for a lot of games that runs on UE3 or CE because they aren't simulators, they just want to make a smooth gameplay experience. Now you might be wondering why its important to simulate a tin can km away from you that you can't see or interact with. Well that's because if you play Arma2 as a mil-sim and not a zombie mod, then things like artillery batteries several clicks away, air support thousands of meters up in the sky, AI movements and actions where you can't see them all become important. In a mil-sim if someone blows up a building 10km away from you, it better look exactly the same as when you get there; if someone places an IR strobe on the ground at NWAF and a helicopter is coming from a carrier on the south east corner of the map, the strobe better be at the right place when the helicopter pilot gets there. Its not easy handling the synchronization of that many things and a lot of larger engines have never found it to be a problem because the games made on them don't require them to do so. Its hard to imagine this being computationally complicated because we tend to think of scenarios including only a few of these things, but if you have to scale it up to fit a server of 50 players each with a different set of entities spawning around them and interacting then you get a bigger problem.

Edit for clarification: the size of the map does matter if we're talking dynamic entities. I was referring to the static map (terrain that doesn't change for anyone).

Edited by Lev
  • Like 1

This is the thing though you do not need things going on in a game like DayZ. Sure good for ArmA that they can render a tin can that no one needs, but in DayZ there are a lot of people who can get 60+ fps on max settings and maybe 20-30 on ArmA with/without the mod.

You would not be playing this game without the Arma 2 engine...there is not an engine out there than can do what the arma engine does...please does us a favor and stop crying and enjoy the game if not stop playing and go back to your small map cod and bf3 games...

I might get flamed for this, but just hear me out... This will be the SINGLE BEST move for the DayZ brand, and all dissenting opinions shall be null and void.

I think it should use the Angry Birds engine. Think about it. EVERYONE has heard about Angry Birds. They even have Angry Birds BandAids. Have you ever seen an ArmA II BandAid? HELL NO!! You know how hard it is to break the glass at the hospital? Imagine being able to hurl one of those splitting blue birds at the window instead... INSTANT ACCESS to all the eggs you can handle. Boxes, trees, etc are all destructible in Angry Birds, not so in ArmA II. Yeah, slingshots are silent, but those birds yell and shit when you fling em, that'll agro Pigs like crazy (not to mention the Pigs are already green, so pretty much zombies already). Most of all, Angry Birds has sold WAY more copies than ArmA has. It's a no brainer.

I'd like to see Rocket use a better engine, one that doesn't offer stellar performance for Intel CPU's and garbage performance for AMD's.

ARMA's engine is very good for what it does... Yes it's rough around the edges, but what other engine can do what ARMA does?....

By switching engines the work required to make day z would be stupidly large...

Not to mention, the crushing realism of survival and immersion could be lost switching engines.

Edited by ScramUK

Id say go with CryEngine 3, have you seen what they've done with it on ArcheAge?

I say you know nothing.

Having said that if they could make a 200km squared map using GSC's Xray engine, as well as their A-life system... I'm all over that like a fly on shit.

Edited by ScramUK

No other engine can produce what the Arma engine can. You would sacrifice the size of the map and bullet physics in exchange for more precise AI and more particles.

I'd like to see AMD make Stellar CPUs like Intel, not the garbage we use now

FTFYF

I would just like to thank everyone for giving your feedback. I would also like to appologize if I have been rude to anyone. In my honest opinion I do not like ArmA and I have been told by many people that it is not a good game. This is our opinion which is what this topic is about. Opinions. I have learned that the ArmA engine has more than what I though, I would love to see this mod on a different engine but all we can hope for is that ArmA is a better game with a better engine. Also if I offended you in anyway trash talking ArmA like an ignorant moron I appologize. Again this is just my opinion and I did not mean to bad mouth any of yours. Back to the engine though.

I love the survival aspect in DayZ and I love the size of the map. I know a good amount of knowledge of engines and so far other than the ArmA engine no map has been as big. This is fact. Although we do not know for sure if another engine can or cannot handle a map that big. I would like to see DayZ have a bigger map that is able to be more realistic with extra buildings go into sed map. If Real Virtuality Engine 4 is able to do some of the things I have talked about and BI allows DayZ Devs to have all the resources they need (full access to the engine) it could be an amazing game on the new engine. I just hope they use version 4 though...

Again, nobody is forcing people to buy or play Arma. But apparently people like their zombies, so whoopteedoo...here come the masses. But people need to come to terms with the fact that DayZ is an Arma mod, with Arma AI, on an Arma map, with Arma weapons and vehicles, thought up and made by an employee of the company that creates Arma...in fact...this whole thing is based on Arma... Could it be made on a different engine? Sure, probably. I might even try it out. But for now...all y'all will have to do with "the most hated fps out there". The irony...

I don't think a single person I know will be getting ArmA3, DayZ or not. I'm glad DayZ has finally put full loot sandbox gaming back in the limelight, but anyone I talk to is beyond annoyed with ArmA (can't say enough good things about DayZ ofc).

for the majority of the ArmA 2 campaign, you have access to vehicles