Harris (DayZ)

DayZ should become a stand alone game using a different engine.

PS, OP and several others have commented on bugs that are being fixed during these alpha stages as if an different engine would never have had any bugs ever at any stage in development, please guys, think before you speak

DayZ is not allowed to tamper with the source code and so Rocket and the dev team have to take the long way around coding as another user stated. Also I stated before that they could release the game like a mod or minecraft. Alpha, Beta, Final, extras.

Thats one way, the other way is putting a line of code(which i forget) to change the quality of the buildings based on distance or either force a xxx meter limit

that's called LOD (Level of Detail) and EVERY REAL TIME 3D ENGINE EVER MAKES USE OF IT

shit, how do you think ARMA can render 10km draw distances on any PC without basic shit like that?

• Like 1

that's called LOD (Level of Detail) and EVERY REAL TIME 3D ENGINE EVER MAKES USE OF IT

shit, how do you think ARMA can render 10km draw distances on any PC without basic shit like that?

I know far too much useful/useless shit to remember everything fuuurrrk

wanks over cryengine

ignoring DX11 for years and then bodging it into the engine after the community vents their disappointment, that's the cutting edge?

fully tesselated flat surfaces instead of scaled back, that's optimised?

running a tesselated water model across the entire area of the map just for one pond in one corner, that's optimised?

dayum, gotta get me some of that shit

ignoring DX11 for years and then bodging it into the engine after the community vents their disappointment, that's the cutting edge?

fully tesselated flat surfaces instead of scaled back, that's optimised?

running a tesselated water model across the entire area of the map just for one pond in one corner, that's optimised?

dayum, gotta get me some of that shit

Come again? Too much whine?

That makes no sense if you were going to become a full on game wouldn't you want the best bang for your buck meaning better performance without sacrificing graphics. Why would it automatically mean that they are going to use Real Virtuality Engine 3.

Edited by Harris

That makes no sense if you were going to become a full on game wouldn't you want the best bang for your buck meaning better performance without sacrificing graphics. Why would it automatically mean that they are going to use Real Virtuality Engine 3.

Obviously its biased he works for them.

I don't think they are going to go with the CryEngine or ArmA III....according to the interview at indie games conference, the dev acted like Arma II was fine...which it is for an alpha, but not a beta let along a full game.

Performance Increases

Better Zombie A.I

Better Loot Spawning System (sometimes doesn't spawn when your the only player in a town)

Better Graphics

Better User Interface

More Weapons

Better Vehicles and Driving U.I.

And less buggy

Zombie AI packages and loot spawns are not directly related to the ArmA engine but to the mod itself, but the rest yeah, all covered in ArmA 3.

Do you guys have ANY idea about the amount of work needed to create something like the current map of Chernarus and all its content in a totally different game engine?

>_<

I always love those "why can't they just"-suggestions, coming from people with absolutely zero knowledge of the technical difficulties of game development...

• Like 2

Also there would be less bugs making a new game then modding a already broken one.

Not sure if trolling or just ignorant.

New code = more bugs

Fixing already existing code = less bugs

Edited by Tex Willer

No shit sherlock. Making it would take time apparently you didn't read the post. I said wouldn't you want a game that is better at the cost of a release date. Also just because he works there does not mean anything. It is his mod he owns the rights to do what he wants BI does not control him at all if he was smart he would move engines.

The guns are all the same but with different skins? Are you mental?

Not sure if trolling or just ignorant.

New code = more bugs

Fixing already existing code = less bugs

Fixing an entirely broken game is going to be easier than making one with a new engine that not only performs better but has better quality. Real Virtuality Engine 3 is not a good engine they could so much better. I am just saying why use something that failed for your game. If they wanted to be able to make the game better make it look amazing and change the mechanics to fit with a game like this they should not use ArmA's engine. I know it would take a while and I know it would be work it is just an idea because why in gods name would you follow a failing series while making a stand alone game instead of making it your own.

cryengine 3

avalanche engine has the best topography scenary (check theHunter )

those are the only two id look at using

I would personally like to see it use the ArmA3 engine if it is well developed and optimized/polished.

• Like 1

There is no reason at all why other engines cant do a map the size of ARMA 2s. Most games dont do maps that big, mostly because the games arent being made for a map that big.

UE3 or CryEngine 3 could do all the things ARMA2 does just fine. The one benefit of using ARMA2 while DayZ is a mod, is it offers a ton of weapons, vehicles, bullet physics, and huge maps right off the bat. These arent things Rocket or someone else would have to make, its already in the game.

That being said, if you are making everything from scratch, UE3 or CryEngine 3 would be a better choice. Sure, it would take longer, you couldnt just port everything over, but they are just much more polished engines. They run fantastic, look fantastic, and (at least for UE3, dont know much about CE3) are very easy to use to build any type of game you want. Look at all the games using UE3, from MMOs to shooters, RPGs to strategy games, hell, even a free running game (Mirrors Edge).

In short, ARMA2 is probably the best thing for DayZ right now, but in the long run, other engines have more potential.

• Like 1

I am worried that the standalone would be too inaccessible to players without super computers. I honestly think that if he makes the game too high end, it will drastically shift the amount of users.

I am worried that the standalone would be too inaccessible to players without super computers. I honestly think that if he makes the game too high end, it will drastically shift the amount of users.

Moving to something like UE3 or CryEngine 3 would probably be more accessible to people. Both engines scale well, unlike ARMA2.

He is right currently a lot of people with the best computers money can buy still cannot play because of performance issues. These issues come because it's a alpha mod and because of ArmA's engine.

DayZ is going to become its own game, but it sounds like they are going to use Arma 2's engine. I think they should use a different engine.

Wouldn't you pay for DayZ to have:

Performance Increases

Better Zombie A.I

Better Loot Spawning System (sometimes doesn't spawn when your the only player in a town)

Better Graphics

Better User Interface

More Weapons

Better Vehicles and Driving U.I.

And less buggy

I think that if DayZ were to become a stand alone game they should not use Arma 2's engine. Not only does it have performance issues, but its outdated. Wouldn't you want DayZ to become a better game even at the cost of time of release. Instead of making a mod in several stages make a game with Alpha, Beta, and Final release stages.

My ideas on this awesome mod.

Please put your input on this idea in the comments whether you agree or not.

This is not the first Zombie mod nor will it be the first Zombie game.

What makes this mod stand out is the Arma engine without it, it would just be another generic Zombie shooter.

No other game has more weapons than the arma series

No other game can offer the First person Scale of map size that Arma offers

Putting the mod onto any other game engine would be a bad move and In my opinion would reduce it to the level of any other generic zombie shoot em up on small maps.

Yes arma has some bugs but we are also getting beta patches at a staggering rate and always have done.

Before you Slag of the Arma engine I suggest you play something other than dayz on it to at least understand the sheer size of the Engine and its items.

I have been playing games since Quake and I have played allot of different games Arma is the only game atm that has the Engine that can run dayz. Anything else would feel small and cheap.

• Like 2

DayZ has been the best zombie game because of ArmA's engine you are correct. What I am saying is that they take some of the survival aspects and stuff from ArmA and make it better in a new engine. Could you imagine DayZ a 100% polished full game with the same survival aspects, but with the developers twist on it. All I am saying is yes DayZ is great for ArmA, but it would be even better if it took some of the survival experiences and expanded on it in the way the developers wanted. I agree with you, but at the same time I would like to see what the devs could create with a new engine.