Sign in to follow this  
KeitZer (DayZ)

A Move towards Subtle UI

I remember Rocket saying he wanted the game to be as subtle as possible, and with as little of a UI as possible...

Well I've got an idea on how to reduce the UI displayed....

While watching my brother play Red Dead Redemption, I saw how they introduced elements like tips, reputation, and other elements of the game, but only when they were necessary.

So maybe DayZ can have something similar (plus it wouldn't confuse new players as much, as well as make the more efficient).

Here's the rundown:

The Food, Temp, and Water icons are invisible. They only come fade back in, flashing when you need food, heat, or water respectively.

The same can possibly be done with blood. Only when bleeding does it show up (or maybe not... but it is quite hard to tell when you're in first person).

Along this similar thought... if at all possible, make it so the debug monitor only shows when a key bind is pressed (and show what key bind to hide it at the top of the debug monitor).

I think it's a great way to cut down on the UI while still providing content, as drinking/eating/heatpacks pre-flashing is inefficient as useless (to an extent).

TL;DR:

Food/Temp/Water icons invisible till flashing, then they fade in.

Blood icon same thing, only shows when bleeding.

• Like 1

Great ideas! I'm done with any of these if there were changed to this.

I don't like this idea because those are all things that humans have actual real-life meters for sort of.

I've got a pretty good feeling for how hungry, thirsty, injured, or cold I am at all times so it makes sense to me to always have the meters.

Edited by trashcanman

I don't like this idea because those are all things that humans have actual real-life meters for sort of.

I've got a pretty good feeling for how hungry, thirsty, injured, or cold I am at all times so it makes sense to me to always have the meters.

hmm... but how do you KNOW exactly how hungry/thirsty you are until you actually consume food/drink?

And as a pre-response to your response, in what way can that method be translated into a game? As of right now, the UI meters are a literal translation, however, going towards something like stomach growling is close... but, as what I think you might say, is you just FEEL it... and until we get a 4D game, I'm not sure that's in the list of possibilities

I like this idea, because i don't know i'm hungry untill i feel hungry, nor do i know the temperature untill i feel to cold or to warm ... and yes for bleeding it's somewhat hard to see in first person, atleast when alone, you can see a friend bleed fairly easily...

As for 'more subtlety' i would think that more sounds would help, as well as a more elaborate physical system most noticably fatigue and running speed could help...

As for 'more subtlety' i would think that more sounds would help, as well as a more elaborate physical system most noticably fatigue and running speed could help...

Ya I do agree that would be the NEXT step... like vision blur, stumbling, passing out, shaking blurred vision (read: double vision), heavier breathing that increases the ADS bounce, slower running speed, and various other things that edge towards what it would REALLY like running around a 225km^2 map with nothing but beans and a pistol