Sign in to follow this  
Plasmafrog

Needing graphical performance enhancement

Basically, I'm wanting a better framerate for my outdated rig.

I wanted to completely reduce shading and other performance hogging details, but I can't seem to find the file to change these things. Is there a way to actually lower the graphics than the lowest setting ingame?

Nope. If you can't run on lowest, buy a new pc.

It runs fine, but things get incredibly choppy whenever I look at trees.

What is inside your rig?

Intel Dual Core @2.33Ghz

ATI Raedon 5450 HD w/ 1024mb

4Gigs Ram

500g Baracuda @7200rpm w/ 32mb cache size

Windows Xp SP3

Loca resolution: 1024x768

DirectX 9.0

Try loading DayZ onto a Ramdisk. There's a nice video on Youtube explaining it by Oshiseven.

ArmA can be really bitchy when it comes to hardware. In most cases the mission causes framdrops on clients and the server, most mission makers just don't want to admit it. A case happened on a community server i was playing where a domi was modified so many times it almost crashed everyone, it was unplayable. Then somebody admitted it that some ppl were right that missions do cause framedrops. DAyZ mission doesn't have lots of scripts running judging from the size it's more the "Island" of Chernarus with it's many trees. BIS said they tweaked it but it's still far from optimal.

Even i have heavy framedrop on my rig specially when using a scope due to shading issues and it's not a cheap one, i got it mainly for ArmA, my older rig is still strong enough to handle anything else including BF3..

Intel Core i7

8GB RAM

SSD + HDD ( ArmA is on the SSD for fast datatransfer, mainly textures )

GTX 580

That was the best i could buy at that time and i could still use stronger hardware if my budget would let me.